Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink, Keyfob, and Other Accessories: Model S to Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am coming from a Model S which came standard with Keyfobs and HomeLink. I used the keyfob 99% of the time and homelink 100% of the time (garage only, no gate).

However, I can't bring myself to spend $450 on these for my Y when there are alternatives to both. I'm also not driving much due to remote working which is liekly to be the norm, so the Homelink is used way less than it was the first 3 years I owned the S. Not to mention as Homelink alternative (other than a clicker) I do have a smart garage door opener. I have looked at IFTT for auto open/close but it seems security was updated to only auto close? I'll need to research more.

Curious to hear from Previous S/X owners that now have a Y what your experience was with the switch. Did you end up getting either/both? Why/Why Not?
I'd like to hear form you about these even if the Y is your first.

And in general, any accessories you have found to like the most for your Y. I know there are other discussions on this already, thought I'd ask while asking about Homelink/Keyfob.

Have you checked out the Tailwind iQ3? It was rated the #1 Smart Garage door controller by WireCutter and it has a secure auto-open feature.
Thanks for this suggestion. I actually have been testing using SimpleCommands and Alexa to auto-open close based on GPS since I have a smart garage opener. So far it has worked every time to my amazement. SO I'm likely going to put the Homelink on the archive list and debate the keyfob more.

We also switched from a Model S to a Model Y, and initially missed both the fob and Homelink. But we've since adapted and don't miss either one. It's actually more convenient to use our smartphone than a fob (one less thing to carry and account for). Using the app to open the frunk feels more involved though. Just be sure to carry your key card in case your phone battery dies! And our old garage door remote works just fine.

The only other accessories we've gotten for the Model Y are: screen protector, red "T"s for the wheel centers (goes well with our red exterior), and Auto Socks (a legal alternative to tire chains, which you probably aren't concerned with in Florida. )

Otherwise the Model Y meets all our needs. We're now a one car family, since the Model Y can tow 3,500 lbs, which works for our 24' sailboat and utility trailer (our "pickup"), so we no longer need our infrequently used hybrid SUV. We're saving on insurance, registration, and ICE maintenance by no long having a second vehicle.

EV grin!

• Informative
Reactions: ChrgdTeCHick
We also switched from a Model S to a Model Y, and initially missed both the fob and Homelink. But we've since adapted and don't miss either one. It's actually more convenient to use our smartphone than a fob (one less thing to carry and account for). Using the app to open the frunk feels more involved though. Just be sure to carry your key card in case your phone battery dies! And our old garage door remote works just fine.

The only other accessories we've gotten for the Model Y are: screen protector, red "T"s for the wheel centers (goes well with our red exterior), and Auto Socks (a legal alternative to tire chains, which you probably aren't concerned with in Florida. )

Otherwise the Model Y meets all our needs. We're now a one car family, since the Model Y can tow 3,500 lbs, which works for our 24' sailboat and utility trailer (our "pickup"), so we no longer need our infrequently used hybrid SUV. We're saving on insurance, registration, and ICE maintenance by no long having a second vehicle.

EV grin!
Glad to hear this from a S to Y owner. I think I'll feel the same once I get the Y and the habit goes away.

The S was our only vehicle for years and it was worth it. I primarily made the switch because I wanted new but didn't want to pay the new S pricing. The other part is my kids are older, thus taller, so the height on the Y is better for the stage our family is in.

Thanks for the accessory feedback! My S was the performance model so it was red trim everywhere and i loved that look. I'm going for a different theme on the Y and the accessories have been a little tougher to match; I've noticed how much red is in Tesla!

I did not come from an S but an MB E class that had the included features. In the Y the only thing i missed was homelink so I added it and it is so amazing, I highly recommend! No having a key fob as mentioned above is a huge advantage as its one less thing to carry and the app works so well. I do not miss carrying keys!

• Informative
Reactions: ChrgdTeCHick
I am used to HomeLink with my Model X. I just got a Model Y and, of course, like everyone, surprised to see that it does not come with HomeLink. My old 2007 honda odyssey had a built-in garge/gate opener.

I have a garage and security gate. This keyfob from Amazon (remote cloner) worked perfectly for both.
X X-HOUSE Duplicator Garage Remote Cloning Fixed Code and Rolling Code Remote,Copy Multi-Frequency for Multi-Brands Garage Door Remote (Red Color)
by Ezy Control

The product is just superb. Of course, you can just return it if it does not work for you (Amazon)). You need to have working remotes to duplicate to this keyfob. Allows up to 4 remotes, I use only 2. The product is compact and cute. I don't need to carry multiple remotes(clickers) in the car. The only shortcoming with HomeLink is that it does not automatically open/close the garage as you arrive/leave.