Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2023 model Y doesnt include homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have it on my model x and early model 3. Use the x one to open door only, decided the clicker easier on my 3, and will use clicker on y. X has funny sun visors.

On our Y we double-sided taped the clicker to the back of the screen so that it wasn't visible from outside. For about a month that is, then I bought and installed the MyQ controller for $40 and linked it to the car.

As others have mentioned, it's nice to have it automatically open and close the door by GPS, and also to show the status of the door (open, closing, closed, opening) on screen.

I ordered the homelink module from Tesla. Cost was $350 and included the installation. Took the mobile tech person around 20 seconds to install (I watched him and it is SUPER easy DIY as well). You just need to remove the frunk tub and you'll see the connector for the module.

Definitely worth it.

As for leaving it in the car for future owners, sure and it will work fine. Once the car's settings are reset, the homelink settings should be cleared as well.

I had MyQ installed on both our Chamberlain openers before I owned a Tesla. Access through the MyQ app on the phone is no cost. I really like the MyQ openers. I can check the status of the doors from anywhere. I can open/close the doors from anywhere. I get notices on my phone when the doors open (or close). And I set timed events to check the doors twice a day and if they are open the MyQ app will close them. This is because on rare occasions I have left the garage door open through the night after forgetting to close it! Yes it happens. Also on occasion after leaving for work and closing the door it fails to close and reopens. It will check and close the door. I really like MyQ.

When I got the Tesla I was annoyed they no longer included Homelink with the car. I paid for the 'luxury' to have Homelink. Kind of pricey, but I like the automatic open and close as I get home or leave. But sometimes the Homelink does not close the door when I'm leaving. Like it does not get the GPS location I set. I have to manually close it from the screen. Most of the time it works. Programming the location where it opens/closes is a little tricky. I want to be able to drive past the house and not open the door, only when I turn onto the driveway. And I want to be able to back out of the garage and park in my driveway without closing the door. So finding the sweet spot took a little trial and error. Overall I like it even though it is not perfect.

Also I don't like that I can't install it myself. I had it installed at a Tesla Service center that is 40 miles from my house. Combined with another visit. And I programmed it myself at home. I'm sure I could have done it all myself.

Last edited:
I am on the fence with which to choose. We have 3 garage door openers, 2 of them are MyQ equipped and operate from the cell phone app. However both of our current vehicles (Audi Q7) was just sold have homelink built in. Seems like an annoyance to use the cell phone app and it is aggravating to now have to pay for a subscription or modules. I understand the amounts are minimal, I guess it is just the principle.

I am on the fence with which to choose. We have 3 garage door openers, 2 of them are MyQ equipped and operate from the cell phone app. However both of our current vehicles (Audi Q7) was just sold have homelink built in. Seems like an annoyance to use the cell phone app and it is aggravating to now have to pay for a subscription or modules. I understand the amounts are minimal, I guess it is just the principle.
My problem with subscription apps like this is that they aren't guaranteed to exist forever. If the operator decides that there isn't enough money in it, then they can close it down.

Homelink doesn't rely on anything external.

So our 30-day free trial worked well but expired two weeks ago. I tried to subscribe but keep getting an error to the effect of "Card declined, contact your financial institution" whether I use my Visa or MasterCard, even though each is from a different bank. I did contact the bank associated with the Visa, and they said there was no record of any authorization attempts. I called myQ's support last week but the guy on the line said they didn't deal with payment issues, but that he'd pass my account info up the chain and for me to try again at day-end. No go that day, nor on any day since. Super frustrating, and I have no idea how to get the thing going again. It was brilliant for the 30 days that it worked though...

...Overall I didn't like the idea of being charged a fee to use a garage door opener I'd already paid for...
Same here. Can't stand money-sucking subscriptions just to flip a bit enabling the hardware that's already there. My damned Nissan LEAF came with Homelink. Tesla can pound sand. $17 remote from ACE Hardware works just fine. I spent many a year having to get out of vehicles to manually open garage doors. The remote is more than enough luxury for me.

Reactions: Sandiegodoug
I took my MYP today to have the homelink module I ordered a couple of weeks ago and after being at the service center for a couple of hours they told me that my vehicle wasn't configured with that option. They said there was no where to plug into ? I ordered it directly from the app and within the app it just says tesla model y/3 and thats it. When I checked the email order receipt it says for model y/3 years 2017-2022. I see some people have had this issue and some haven't. I am curious as to what is going on here?

I took my MYP today to have the homelink module I ordered a couple of weeks ago and after being at the service center for a couple of hours they told me that my vehicle wasn't configured with that option. They said there was no where to plug into ? I ordered it directly from the app and within the app it just says tesla model y/3 and thats it. When I checked the email order receipt it says for model y/3 years 2017-2022. I see some people have had this issue and some haven't. I am curious as to what is going on here?
Maybe your homelink module didn't come with the fixing adapter, which should be pre-installed for year 2022 or before. I know for 2023 model 3 you need order different part number.

Tesla rep said many who ordered Y/3's didn't want Home link so they removed it and made it after market. I ordered mine, after delivery, mobile tech installed it in my driveway and set up my opener to make sure all worked for me. Easier with 2 people anyway. Great service from mobile tech as always. I will say, it doesn't always work when leaving the house, have to tell it to close the garage, but I've yet to have to tell it to open the door when returning, the same in my old TMS.

Getting kind of tired of all the accessories my $50000 car needs. Floormats, console add ons, various other things like homelink that cheap cars have had for ages. I'm with the ace hardware guy. So I have to open my console? OK. GPS activation is assuming i park in the garage every time i pull up. i have an opener, thanks.

Getting kind of tired of all the accessories my $50000 car needs. Floormats, console add ons, various other things like homelink that cheap cars have had for ages. I'm with the ace hardware guy. So I have to open my console? OK. GPS activation is assuming i park in the garage every time i pull up. i have an opener, thanks.
I will totally disagree with this statement

Getting kind of tired of all the accessories my $50000 car needs

The car doesn't NEED any of these.

Reactions: Pianewman
Have you ever shopped for a BMW or Mercedes? Pretty much everything is an extra-cost option. And they are both trying to make you pay a subscription for arbitrary features (not just stuff that has recurring costs to them).

I picked up my new Model Y yesterday and this morning I wanted to program the car to open the garage. I couldn't find out anything about this, so I checked the owners manual. Guess what ? NUTTIN.

I finally called the facility where I picked up my car and said that homelink is a $300 option and they will come out and install it. WOW.

Love the car so far but this is pretty messed up I think. Homelink has been in every car that I have purchased before for many years.

• Disagree
Reactions: Kairide
I picked up my new Model Y yesterday and this morning I wanted to program the car to open the garage. I couldn't find out anything about this, so I checked the owners manual. Guess what ? NUTTIN.

I finally called the facility where I picked up my car and said that homelink is a $300 option and they will come out and install it. WOW.

Love the car so far but this is pretty messed up I think. Homelink has been in every car that I have purchased before for many years.
Nothing new here, should have done your research before buying if this was going to upset you. You have a choice of HomeLink or MyQ. Both are paid options.