Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2023 model Y doesnt include homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my new Model Y yesterday and this morning I wanted to program the car to open the garage. I couldn't find out anything about this, so I checked the owners manual. Guess what ? NUTTIN.

I finally called the facility where I picked up my car and said that homelink is a $300 option and they will come out and install it. WOW.

Love the car so far but this is pretty messed up I think. Homelink has been in every car that I have purchased before for many years.
It is $350 in northern CA.

Its a 10 minute self install + 2 minutes to program. Pick up the unit, mount and fastener screw for $175 shipped (or cheaper) on Ebay. This guy is sold out, but more will come.

It works great, maybe the best garage door opening solution in history because it's fully automatic as you drive away or approach, but not worth $300 when a $20 clicker from HomeDepot sorta does the same thing. Even at $175, i'm embarrassed to tell my wife :p.

1691927915769.png

OP, I have similar grumbles, but from a business perspective I get it. In addition to the hardware cost, HomeLink charges a licensing fee for every car containing their programming software. I heard (and my experience anecdotally supports this) that less than 20% of people who own a car with HomeLink actually bother to ever program it/use it. For most folks, a garage opener clipped to the sun visor is perfectly fine. So most of the time, that is just wasted cost.

This way, only the people who really care about it will pay for it.

Which makes it more expensive for them, instead of the cost being spread out among all the people that aren't using it as well. (Or just buried in the cost of the vehicle so they don't know they paid that much for it on their last vehicle.)
So you want all the people that DON'T want it, to foot the bill for people that do?

Its a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

If you don't have it, some people that want it complain that it's not included.

If you do have it, some/many people that don't want it, have to pay for it and complain about it.

For Tesla, including it in all cars doesn't really help them. Unlike FSD hardware, they can't gain anything from Homelink. FSD hardware, which is included in all Teslas, even if you don't use FSD, at least gives them telemetry to do nefa... I feed into updating FSD software. So, they're willing to absorb some of the cost of installing FSD hardware into their cars.

But they aren't willing to absorb the cost for HomeLink, so if they include it, the cost will be passed onto the customer... but then there's the potential of losing customers just because they included something that raised the cost, that some folk either can't or won't pay for.

Of course, this is all just guessing. Who know, they might include it in the future.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I see there may be two options. MyQ or Homelink. MyQ seems to require a subscription but why do I need to pay a subscription to open a garage door? Is it for Amazon delivery? But Homelink just seems to be a one time payment and does it stay with the car indefinitely? Including if you sell the car one day will the new owner be able to use it if you log out of your account?
Tailwind iQ3 garage door opener is another option - I use that. $80 - one time. No subscription fees. If your phone is an Android device, no other charges (if you use an iPhone, you will need a $20 car sensor device). Does Auto-Open, auto-close. Works with Apple HomeKit, Siri, Google Assistant, Google Home, Alexa, Smart Things, Home Assistant, IFTTT, Hubitat, Control4, Crestron

Reactions: teca01
I have no cell data at my house. I have had MyQ for longer than I have had a Tesla. Due to no cell data, getting the car to talk via the internet to the garage door is a non-starter. Homelink works for me because it is not internet connected. It came with my M3 and it was worth the $350 (to me) on my MY. IMO everyone that does not want Homelink gets their car for a $350 discount. You're welcome.

Tailwind iQ3 garage door opener is another option - I use that. $80 - one time. No subscription fees. If your phone is an Android device, no other charges (if you use an iPhone, you will need a $20 car sensor device). Does Auto-Open, auto-close. Works with Apple HomeKit, Siri, Google Assistant, Google Home, Alexa, Smart Things, Home Assistant, IFTTT, Hubitat, Control4, Crestron
Also with additional door sensors, the Tailwind can control up to 3 garage doors, so the cost for 3 Teslas/doors/iPhones would be only $210 instead of $1050 for 3 HomeLinks.

Also with additional door sensors, the Tailwind can control up to 3 garage doors, so the cost for 3 Teslas/doors/iPhones would be only $210 instead of $1050 for 3 HomeLinks.
Honestly, I've been doing a little looking over their website and the details are here and there.

Even if you have an android phone as the previous poster mentioned, you actually have to also have it paired to the car via bluetooth too. Makes sense if you're using multiple cars and can pair to them... but doesn't help if you happen to not be paired to the car you're driving.

As for actually using it on multiple doors... definitely, $1050 is a lot of money (for three cars). Heck, $350 for one HomeLink is more than the $80 TailWind. But here's the thing, I can reprogram my Homelink to open my sister's garage door if I so chose. If I take a road trip to my other three siblings, I can reprogram it to open any of theirs too while visiting. Hell, any number of friends I can do it with as a temporary reprogram, even though its limited to three at a time.

With the Tailwind, you can move it... by physically removing all the parts from your garage, packing it in a bag or box and taking it with you and then installing it there (or hiring someone to install it). Unless all the places you plan on visiting coincidentally already have a TailWind installed.

Conversely, the TailWind, because its app based, is more likely to allow multiple vehicles visiting a single location... assuming you have an android phone paired to a car via BT. For a data point... all my friends and family use iPhones, even though I have an android phone.

Anyway, most of my post is just confirmation bias for my HomeLink purchase.

PS... Amazon currently lists it as out of stock. Its one thing if its a new item, but having been on Amazon since 2018 isn't too reassuring.

Reactions: teca01
How difficult is it to install Tailwind iQ3 DIY? I'm not exactly strong, does it require lots of strength in any steps?
It is a little more involved since Tailwind has wired sensors, meaning you need to route the wire from the door sensors to the overhead unit. The kit included the clips for routing along the tracks, but I opted for walls and ceiling so I bought some supplies from Home Depot. The installation doesn't require manually handling the door or springs so no need for a lot of strength.

Reactions: JohnB007
Nothing new here, should have done your research before buying if this was going to upset you. You have a choice of HomeLink or MyQ. Both are paid options.
The Homelink has been in every car that I have purchased in the last 10+ years so I didn't think that would be an issue. I did plenty of research on the vehicle before purchasing, but not this. Not a big deal because I have the clicker that I can keep in the car. I did talk to the facility where I purchased the car and they said that Homelink isn't even available for the Model Y at the current time. I can live with the clicker.

The Homelink has been in every car that I have purchased in the last 10+ years so I didn't think that would be an issue. I did plenty of research on the vehicle before purchasing, but not this. Not a big deal because I have the clicker that I can keep in the car. I did talk to the facility where I purchased the car and they said that Homelink isn't even available for the Model Y at the current time. I can live with the clicker.
I believe the Homelink is compatible with the 2023 MYs, there is confusion at Tesla. There’s other threads about this.

I'm amazed people are spending $300-500 for a garage opener. Just take your garage remote and Velcro it to the back of your monitor. I have mine in the lower left. You can't see it and it takes less than two seconds to press. Cheaper than paying hundreds.

If you park outside your house, and someone breaks into your car, they can push the stuck on remote button to gain access to your house/garage.

I never leave remotes in cars I park outside. On my vehicle with homelink, I don't worry.

I got homelink added to my '21 for free, if it wasn't free, I would have paid for it. This is something I use a minimum of 2x a day, every day throughout the ownership of the vehicle...

Reactions: poundsand
If you park outside your house, and someone breaks into your car, they can push the stuck on remote button to gain access to your house/garage.

I never leave remotes in cars I park outside. On my vehicle with homelink, I don't worry.

I got homelink added to my '21 for free, if it wasn't free, I would have paid for it. This is something I use a minimum of 2x a day, every day throughout the ownership of the vehicle...
My last several vehicles came with Homelink. All of them were accessible and functional with the vehicle off. The Tesla solution is the first I've seen where it can't be accessed when not powered up.

I'm kind of liking the Velcro behind the screen solution. It has the added safety of being able to lock it in the glovebox if needed, which wasn't an option on my older vehicles. I'm currently on the MyQ trial. While it seems to work fine, it's a little troublesome needing to open the vehicle screen, locate the garage icon and press it while pulling in. I know it can be set to "auto open", but I don't usually want that to happen. Does the Homelink use the same icon, or is it completely different?