Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2023 model Y doesnt include homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just realized my Tesla Model Y has no home link. And I believe it's a $300 add on now because I see articles talking about that homelink was removed from Tesla Model 3 in 2019. I got a Tesla Model 3 around December 2018 and it was included, and I assumed it was suppose to just be there, but this time it is not.

I see there may be two options. MyQ or Homelink. MyQ seems to require a subscription but why do I need to pay a subscription to open a garage door? Is it for Amazon delivery? But Homelink just seems to be a one time payment and does it stay with the car indefinitely? Including if you sell the car one day will the new owner be able to use it if you log out of your account?

Should I just get home link for $300 and do I must go to the service center or can I just buy through an app? I had no idea it was removed and now a separate purchase, is Tesla going to be micro transaction in the future?

I opted for MyQ. Adding Homelink to the Model Y was $450 installed. The hub (which I needed for MyQ) was $30 from Amazon. and the subscription was $45/per year. So it is cheaper for 9 years or so. And the extras were also useful, the MyQ system uses separate commands to open or close the door, something Homelink never could manage. The ability to open/close/check the status of the garage door from the APP is also somewhat useful to me. And the Amazon "garage delivery" is also nice to have.

Reactions: KevinT3141
I opted for MyQ. Adding Homelink to the Model Y was $450 installed. The hub (which I needed for MyQ) was $30 from Amazon. and the subscription was $45/per year. So it is cheaper for 9 years or so. And the extras were also useful, the MyQ system uses separate commands to open or close the door, something Homelink never could manage. The ability to open/close/check the status of the garage door from the APP is also somewhat useful to me. And the Amazon "garage delivery" is also nice to have.
Can I have MyQ with Meross at the same time? I already have a smart home garage app system, can two exist at the same time? Do I get rid of Meross Or should I just get home link?

I just realized my Tesla Model Y has no home link. And I believe it's a $300 add on now because I see articles talking about that homelink was removed from Tesla Model 3 in 2019. I got a Tesla Model 3 around December 2018 and it was included, and I assumed it was suppose to just be there, but this time it is not.

I see there may be two options. MyQ or Homelink. MyQ seems to require a subscription but why do I need to pay a subscription to open a garage door? Is it for Amazon delivery? But Homelink just seems to be a one time payment and does it stay with the car indefinitely? Including if you sell the car one day will the new owner be able to use it if you log out of your account?

Should I just get home link for $300 and do I must go to the service center or can I just buy through an app? I had no idea it was removed and now a separate purchase, is Tesla going to be micro transaction in the future?

Yep, my early Model 3 had it, but my early Model Y didn't. It got pulled in-between the times that the two cars were introduced.
I paid the $300 and haven't regretted it.
You can buy thought the app, but it must be Tesla installed. I'm not sure if Mobile Service will do it or you have to take it to Service Center.

Yep, my early Model 3 had it, but my early Model Y didn't. It got pulled in-between the times that the two cars were introduced.
You can buy thought the app, but it must be Tesla installed. I'm not sure if Mobile Service will do it or you have to take it to Service Center.

Mobile Service will do it. Do a service appointment chat and tell them you need a Homelink install. They will have you order the module and screenshot the conformation, then they will set the service appointment. Be sure to ship it to your house and not the service center.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I opted for MyQ. Adding Homelink to the Model Y was $450 installed.

Wow! Your state+local taxes are ~29%? o_O

1680033943765.png

1680033960449.png

You can buy the module from Tesla for $350 or get a used one off eBay (or even your previous car, if you still have it) and self install if you'd like: DiY HomeLink Install using in car Service Mode - No need for Tesla Service or ToolBox

If you buy it new, then the online price includes installation.

I don’t believe the MY ever had it as standard, so it wasn’t ‘removed’, it was just never standard. You order it through the app, then it gets installed by mobile service.

Mobile Service will do it. Do a service appointment chat and tell them you need a Homelink install. They will have you order the module and screenshot the conformation, then they will set the service appointment. Be sure to ship it to your house and not the service center.
When I ordered mine through the app, Tesla immediately contacted me to schedule installation. Then it was set up as a mobile service. Unfortunately for the service guy, it was the one cold day that week (below freezing).

He brought my module with him to install and program it to the door.

I had Homelink in my Model S and I use the MyQ in my Model 3, and of course both do GPS-based open and close, but I have to say I like the MyQ better because it is aware of the door’s position. My family sort of uses the garage as our main house access and the kids are always in and out, with garage door open half the time we’re home. I used to turn the corner into the garage with the Model S and half the time I’d have to abort the automatic opening because the door was already open and it would try to close the door. With MyQ in the Model 3, it will label on the center screen whether it’s open or closed whenever you’re near the garage, and will only try to open it if it’s closed. I almost bought the Homelink retrofit right when they announced MyQ would be integrated, and when I saw the MyQ control unit and door sensor was only $20, you still come out ahead even with the subscription over several years, so I held off and cancelled the Homelink service appointment.

There are a couple of differences: First, Homelink doesnt know if the door is open or closed, so if your garage door is open when you get home, it will close it just as you drive up. Not a big deal, but annoying. MyQ knows the state of the door and so if the door is already open it will stay open. Also, MyQ uses the internet/WiFi, and so can open/close the garage door from anywhere (though there is no advantage to using the car to do that versus using the phone app).

Overall I didn't like the idea of being charged a fee to use a garage door opener I'd already paid for, and MyQ generally have been pretty poor when it comes to the overall "smart home" package (the installation of MyQ is by far the most convoluted and confused mess I've ever come across). Homelink does everything I need, and the odd ocaasion I need to remotely close/open my garage door I can use the phone app.