Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2023 model Y doesnt include homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My last several vehicles came with Homelink. All of them were accessible and functional with the vehicle off. The Tesla solution is the first I've seen where it can't be accessed when not powered up.

I'm kind of liking the Velcro behind the screen solution. It has the added safety of being able to lock it in the glovebox if needed, which wasn't an option on my older vehicles. I'm currently on the MyQ trial. While it seems to work fine, it's a little troublesome needing to open the vehicle screen, locate the garage icon and press it while pulling in. I know it can be set to "auto open", but I don't usually want that to happen. Does the Homelink use the same icon, or is it completely different?

Are you sure, I don't think I've ever had a homelink (I've had 4 vehicles with homelink) that worked once the vehicle is powered down (actually powered down, not just ignition off)... You might be mistaken thinking that it would always work because it stayed live until the vehicle powered down (after you lock the doors and the brain goes to sleep). Once you unlock the doors, it works again (even before you start the vehicle). But if someone where to break in the vehicle will not power homelink.

At least that is my understanding of how it works...

Reactions: poundsand
Are you sure, I don't think I've ever had a homelink (I've had 4 vehicles with homelink) that worked once the vehicle is powered down (actually powered down, not just ignition off)... You might be mistaken thinking that it would always work because it stayed live until the vehicle powered down (after you lock the doors and the brain goes to sleep). Once you unlock the doors, it works again (even before you start the vehicle). But if someone where to break in the vehicle will not power homelink.

At least that is my understanding of how it works...
I'm sure. My 2021 Ford Ranger, which I still have, works fine with the key in the house and sitting in my driveway. The 2019 CX-5 we sold recently worked the same, too.

My last several vehicles came with Homelink. All of them were accessible and functional with the vehicle off.

I'd bet that was for some limited amount of time where accessory power was available after turning off the car. None of my cars have had the homelink buttons available shortly after turning the car off.

I'm currently on the MyQ trial. While it seems to work fine, it's a little troublesome needing to open the vehicle screen, locate the garage icon and press it while pulling in. I know it can be set to "auto open", but I don't usually want that to happen. Does the Homelink use the same icon, or is it completely different?

with auto open deactivated, homelink will pop up automatically on the screen when near the garage to make it easier to access.

Reactions: Mike728
I'm sure. My 2021 Ford Ranger, which I still have, works fine with the key in the house and sitting in my driveway. The 2019 CX-5 we sold recently worked the same, too.

Just wondering how you were able to test that it stayed on even after powering down, after locking the vehicle? For my Audi and Ram, it took about 20 minutes for the computer to fully power down (just like how the 12v accessories stays active in Tesla's for a while after locking). If you were in my Audi which has an internal motion sensor, it basically would never shut down unless you sat perfectly still with the windows closed and the key outside of the range of the vehicle.

Is your Ranger FOB within range of the Ranger? I know on my ram when I needed to do certain work on it, I would wrap the keys in foil because the range was so far that it could potentially throw a code (connecting and disconnecting my pedal commander). The process was to leave the door open, with the key out of range for 20 minutes before disconnecting the throttle harness, just to be sure the ECU didn't throw a code. If you left the door unlocked and closed, when you opened the door (even with the FOB out of range) the ECU would power back up.

with auto open deactivated, homelink will pop up automatically on the screen when near the garage to make it easier to access.

I have mine set in both the TM3 and TMY to open the door, but not automatically close (homelink). As long as I am near home the Activate button on the top rightish part of the screen will show up. So, when we leave, we easily just press Activate to close the door on the way out.

I don't want the cars to attempt to close the door when leaving, in case my wife or I am intending to leave the door open. I have had the door close as one of us was returning and the door was already open.

Just wondering how you were able to test that it stayed on even after powering down, after locking the vehicle? ...
Tested by leaving windows down and locking. The control is on the visor on my Ranger and mirror on the Mazda. It always shocks people when they're told on the forums. My old 2013 Lexus was also the same. Like I said, it's rare if it isn't powered.

Tested by leaving windows down and locking. The control is on the visor on my Ranger and mirror on the Mazda. It always shocks people when they're told on the forums. My old 2013 Lexus was also the same. Like I said, it's rare if it isn't powered.

None of my German vehicles worked once powered down, the same with my Ram. I haven't had any Asian branded vehicles in LONG time, so haven't tested Homelink on those. The Jeep I had before (early 2000's) didn't have homelink.

doing some googling, looks like many cars turn off homelink, many leave it on. Ford, Toyota, and Mazda don't. my vw and Volvo do. sounds like gm does, Hyundai doesn't. weird.

I just realized my Tesla Model Y has no home link. And I believe it's a $300 add on now because I see articles talking about that homelink was removed from Tesla Model 3 in 2019. I got a Tesla Model 3 around December 2018 and it was included, and I assumed it was suppose to just be there, but this time it is not.

I see there may be two options. MyQ or Homelink. MyQ seems to require a subscription but why do I need to pay a subscription to open a garage door? Is it for Amazon delivery? But Homelink just seems to be a one time payment and does it stay with the car indefinitely? Including if you sell the car one day will the new owner be able to use it if you log out of your account?

Should I just get home link for $300 and do I must go to the service center or can I just buy through an app? I had no idea it was removed and now a separate purchase, is Tesla going to be micro transaction in the future?
The Liner garage door I have is connected to WiFi and has an app for smartphones and can tell if garage door is open or closed and even if the light is on. I have the ability to open, close, turn lights on or off, from anywhere in the world that has an internet connection. I did go with homelink for my 2022 MYP and my 2023 MYLR 7 seater because I like the integrated connection to the car and not having to open the App. The app has geofence but if I am at the other end of the house and go too close to he garage it will open when not needed. You can also reset / erase the homelink connection when you sell the car so the new owner cannot get into your garage/house.

I would assume you could also remove the module if you plan to purchase another Model 3/Y and install the module in the new car if you wanted.
I would think you could, after all it was an add on. I had added homelink rear view mirror to my previous vehicles that did not have the integrated interface like Tesla, I just left it installed with it being reset/erased.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Can you turn off the auto open/close feature of homelink? I'd still like it to be manual.
Yes, you can leave it manual and just tap the garage door icon on top of the screen. If you have 2 garage doors a drop down will appear from that icon and you can select the one you want. We have two at my house a single bay and a double bay. On a side note you can only have one active at a time for auto open/close.

Have you ever shopped for a BMW or Mercedes? Pretty much everything is an extra-cost option. And they are both trying to make you pay a subscription for arbitrary features (not just stuff that has recurring costs to them).
Sure, my BMWs both had nice floormats and trunk mats, and no subscriptions, it was the repair and endless maintenance costs that drove me away. I leased them so I was never on the hook, but the dealer was 40 minutes from my house all city driving so I left. Just my opinion, glad your happy.

I considered forking over the extra bux for the Homelink module, but just decided I'd use the remote that came with my garage door opener. I didn't like it on the visor, though. So, since I was used to pressing the buttons on my rearview mirror, I just decided to velcro the remote to the mirror housing, behind the mirror. It's like having Homelink, just in a slightly different position.

Tesla garage door opener mount.jpg

It's out of sight to anyone not really looking for it, it's still handy for me to use, and it didn't cost me $350.

I considered forking over the extra bux for the Homelink module, but just decided I'd use the remote that came with my garage door opener. I didn't like it on the visor, though. So, since I was used to pressing the buttons on my rearview mirror, I just decided to velcro the remote to the mirror housing, behind the mirror. It's like having Homelink, just in a slightly different position.

View attachment 980162

It's out of sight to anyone not really looking for it, it's still handy for me to use, and it didn't cost me $350.
Interesting placement; living in FL, where we get hot, even with cabin overheating protection. I would be worried about the glue failing on the velcro. The glue bound failed on the neighborhood gate transponder mounted to the window due to heat in the cabin. However, we removed the velcro and wedged in with the cross-beam headliner. It is plastic and thin, so it does not scratch the eyebrow tint strip. The metal opener clip would not be the same. However, maybe I could see if I can get it to work like this. I don't particularly appreciate having the opener on the visor, either. I await homelink install on my wife's 2023 MYLR 7 Seater. So this is only temporary, but I like your set up.