Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink programming frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
I got a new garage door opener because my old one died. (After 20 years.) Tried to program Homelink. First of all, it wants you to stand outside the car and point the remote at the front bumper until the car sees it (which can take up to 30 seconds). But of course I cannot tell when the car sees it because I'm outside the car. And what is meant by "point the remote at the front bumper) when the remote is not directional???

Well, after 3 or 4 tries, the car said it got it. But then it wanted me to press the "learn" button on the opener, which I cannot reach because the installer had already left with his ladder. But it says that if the opener has (???) automatic learn (???) I could skip this step, and since I didn't have to do it with the old one I skipped the step. And it didn't work.

What's with pressing a button on the opener? Homelink should just send the same code the remote sends. The opener should not need to learn anything. Homelink should learn to mimic the remote, shouldn't it?

It worked with the old one, and it works with the community gate, but not with the new opener.

Grump!!!

For now I'm just going to use the remote that came with the door opener.

rolling codes requires a separate 'learn' from each device. Can't mimic another device (handheld remote), so have to hit the learn button on the garage door. Take a wire coat hanger and bend it open and see if you can reach and press the learn button on the garage door then hit the homelink in the car in the next 30 seconds..

Worked for me.

• Informative
Reactions: daniel
rolling codes requires a separate 'learn' from each device. Can't mimic another device (handheld remote), so have to hit the learn button on the garage door. Take a wire coat hanger and bend it open and see if you can reach and press the learn button on the garage door then hit the homelink in the car in the next 30 seconds..

Worked for me.

Thanks for that info.

And I was waiting for lights to blink, which they never did, but the car did finally say it had seen the remote.

I may try your suggestion. Or I may just use the remote. Now that the Homelink icon is on the far side of the screen it might be easier to use the remote.

Another trick I learned if the car doesn't seem to see the remote, pop open the frunk and push the remote button with the remote located dead center in the frunk. This was on a MS, might also work on M3. Had to do this with my prior generation Liftmaster Garage door at the old house.

I got a new garage door opener because my old one died. (After 20 years.) Tried to program Homelink. First of all, it wants you to stand outside the car and point the remote at the front bumper until the car sees it (which can take up to 30 seconds). But of course I cannot tell when the car sees it because I'm outside the car. And what is meant by "point the remote at the front bumper) when the remote is not directional???

Well, after 3 or 4 tries, the car said it got it. But then it wanted me to press the "learn" button on the opener, which I cannot reach because the installer had already left with his ladder. But it says that if the opener has (???) automatic learn (???) I could skip this step, and since I didn't have to do it with the old one I skipped the step. And it didn't work.

What's with pressing a button on the opener? Homelink should just send the same code the remote sends. The opener should not need to learn anything. Homelink should learn to mimic the remote, shouldn't it?

It worked with the old one, and it works with the community gate, but not with the new opener.

Grump!!!

For now I'm just going to use the remote that came with the door opener.

Point at the front bumper tries to make sure that you are not between the opener and the receiver in the bumper.
Hitting the learn indicated that it wasn't able to get your code, and therefore is was attempting to install as a new device.
The reason you didn't have to do it with the existing remote is probably because it was done at the factory.

I had issues getting it to recognize the signal when holding it in front of the bumper. It told you to hold it close which I thought I was doing but I found out close meant hold it on the bumper. The frunk tip that @JasJ mentioned might work well.

Have you tried setting the automatic close and open feature? I have and can not get it to work.

Yes, works perfectly for me so far.

The reason you didn't have to do it with the existing remote is probably because it was done at the factory.

Both the old and new remotes worked fine with their respective garage door openers. Both were set up at the factory.

The problem was getting the car's Homelink to work. It worked with the old opener & remote.

However, now that they've moved the Homelink icon to the other side of the screen where it's harder to reach, I think I'll just keep the remotes in the cup holder and use them. (Two remotes because unless the manufacturer answers my email, there doesn't seem to be any way to program the new remote to open the community gate.)

I also learned that I needed to hold the remote right up to the bumper. This must be why they recommend using new batteries in the remote.

Still haven’t got auto open to work yet, but I think that’s more of a GPS/Cellular issue in my area.

Both the old and new remotes worked fine with their respective garage door openers. Both were set up at the factory.

The problem was getting the car's Homelink to work. It worked with the old opener & remote.

However, now that they've moved the Homelink icon to the other side of the screen where it's harder to reach, I think I'll just keep the remotes in the cup holder and use them. (Two remotes because unless the manufacturer answers my email, there doesn't seem to be any way to program the new remote to open the community gate.)

Can't say that I'm having the problems that you are since my auto-open/close is working, but I also really don't like how the HomeLink controls are all the way over to the right of the screen either. Why put things that we have to interact with farther away?

I have 2 gates and a garage opener. The main gate used a Linear DX remote system and would not program to the Tesla Model 3 Homelink.I have a 2016 Honda with Homelink that programs fine to the Linear DX.

After 4 months back and forth with Tesla and Homelink, both pointing fingers at each other. Tesla replaced the homelink module but that did not fix it. Finally my case was elevated and I was put in touch with Mike H at Homelink. He said the tesla may not be able to communicate with the Linear and suggested changing the receiver to a Liftmaster 850LM, $40.00 online. I ordered the receiver and a 811LM transmitter to work with it. I got it all installed only to find the Tesla Homelink now worked but the Honda would not recognize the 811LM remote. More phone time with Mike where he suggested that I get a 893LM transmitter. This transmitter is a lot more universal and in the end did link up with both cars. The range on this system is quite good and didn’t cost much other than a lot of time on the phone.

My garage, middle gate, and main gate all use different remotes. All programmed into the Tesla Homelink, all now working flawless.

The garage door opener manufacturer acknowledged receipt of my email. We'll see if they answer my question, and if there's a way to put the community gate on the same remote.

They did reply to my email, but the answer was effectively that I cannot program their remote to the gate. Programming either the car or the old remote to the garage door requires pressing a button on the opener, which I cannot reach, and still might not work, and since I'll be gone all winter, and might move after that, I'm just not going to bother. Having the two remotes in the cup holder is a bit of clutter, but actually easier and safer than reaching all the way to the far side of the screen to operate the car's Homelink.

The need to press the learn button has little to do with the car and everything to do with the opener.
I just read the opener manual first and was prepared. Didn’t use a ladder, just a long stick :D

One tip, put the car outside the garage when you’re programming. It makes the distance more accurate.
Also the headlights should flash when the remote is recognized.
The onscreen instructions are pretty good though

Reactions: Dana1
The need to press the learn button has little to do with the car and everything to do with the opener.
I just read the opener manual first and was prepared. Didn’t use a ladder, just a long stick :D

One tip, put the car outside the garage when you’re programming. It makes the distance more accurate.
Also the headlights should flash when the remote is recognized.
The onscreen instructions are pretty good though
I didn’t observe my headlights flashing. I had to crouch down and hold remote horizontal to bumper and within about 8”, but it worked. Then the learn button. I keep a tall step stool for changing light bulbs, etc.