Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got my model 3.... The car is awesome. Best car I've driven.

So I set up Homelink... everything seems to be working fine except the auto open and auto close. Whatever distance I'm setting it up as, it still doesn't work (20-60 ft). I do notice that the side mirrors auto fold does work when I pull up to my garage though. I'm assuming the car knows I'm near my garage, does the auto fold of the side mirrors. But it is not auto opening. No notification that it is trying to open the garage. I have to manual do it from the homelink icon. So I know that the signal is strong enough. So it must not be executing the command for the auto open. I haven't tried auto close since I haven't had time to circle the block to check if it closes.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

So I set up Homelink... everything seems to be working fine except the auto open and auto close. Whatever distance I'm setting it up as, it still doesn't work (20-60 ft). I do notice that the side mirrors auto fold does work when I pull up to my garage though. I'm assuming the car knows I'm near my garage, does the auto fold of the side mirrors. But it is not auto opening. No notification that it is trying to open the garage. I have to manual do it from the homelink icon. So I know that the signal is strong enough. So it must not be executing the command for the auto open. I haven't tried auto close since I haven't had time to circle the block to check if it closes.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

How did you test this? Have you tried driving around the block to get out of range of your house and thus reset the auto open/close logic?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Huh? You could've done that in the time it took to post this

• Funny
Reactions: Sherlo
I've driven the car.... so I was out of range of the house multiple times. When I come back, the auto fold (side mirrors) works when I come into range, but the auto open garage doesn't open the garage. No notifications. But it does work when I use the homelink icon.

Did you program the Homelink while you were home in the garage? I believe it uses the current GPS of the car when it got programmed to remember the location. When you are near your garage, the homelink icon should expand to show the proximity of the car from your garage with the option to cancel the auto open/close.

I had the same problem, would not work leaving the garage, I have a Marantec 270 Garage door opener, it has this LED light, manually turn it off or simply remove it as I did. Now the Auto Return & Leave works 100%. Look for LED lights in your garage as it causes interference.

Fred

AA1AB821-207F-4CA3-93E6-95160FFC254C.jpeg

Any thoughts? Thanks.
If it is not triggering as you approach, then your position is wrong. It's a different position from the mirrors AFAIK. Make sure that it is set to open when arriving and close when leaving. You should hear a chime and it will then allow to skip or send the command if you don't.
You can reset the position, do it immediately outside the garage.

If it is not triggering as you approach, then your position is wrong. It's a different position from the mirrors AFAIK. Make sure that it is set to open when arriving and close when leaving. You should hear a chime and it will then allow to skip or send the command if you don't.
Thanks Ed. The problem with garage door openers is there are no discreet codes for open or close. It’s just a toggle. My Homelink gets out of synch many times. I skip Commands many times.

Did you program the Homelink while you were home in the garage? I believe it uses the current GPS of the car when it got programmed to remember the location. When you are near your garage, the homelink icon should expand to show the proximity of the car from your garage with the option to cancel the auto open/close.

I programmed the homelink just outside my garage, in my driveway.

I had the same problem, would not work leaving the garage, I have a Marantec 270 Garage door opener, it has this LED light, manually turn it off or simply remove it as I did. Now the Auto Return & Leave works 100%. Look for LED lights in your garage as it causes interference.

Fred

View attachment 404570

well, when I manually do it from the homelink icon on the screen, it opens and close the garage door. If the LED light was the issue.... I wouldn't be able to do it manually also?

Thanks. I didn't know the position would be different for the mirrors. I've set it to auto open and close. I never hear the chime or any notifications. I'll probably just redo the homelink setup and hopefully it will work.

well, when I manually do it from the homelink icon on the screen, it opens and close the garage door. If the LED light was the issue.... I wouldn't be able to do it manually also?

Yes by pressing the Homelink button you over ride it, I had to do that but as far as Auto Close behind you, it wouldn’t work. Without the LED light I now get the message immediately stating that the door will close 30 feet when I leave and it works. If you have that type of LED shut it down and see for yourself.

Fred

FWIW, mine is behaving exactly the same way. It opens when I come home, but doesn’t close when I leave. I’ll have to try reprogramming it. And, yes, the distances for mirrors vs garage door appear different. Set at 30 feet, I have to practically touch the garage door for it to open, but my mirrors fold and unfold half way down the block.

I am anxiously awaiting Tesla to get some integration with myQ, which not only commands my driveway gate and garage door, but also knows when each is open, closed, or in transit.

Returning home, I need the sequence:
1. arrive within 30 foot gate bubble -> open gate
2. exit gate bubble -> close gate
3. enter 30' garage door bubble - > open garage door

Departing home, I need:
1. exit 30' garage door bubble - > close garage door
2. arrive within 30 foot gate bubble -> open gate
3. exit gate bubble -> close gate

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
I am anxiously awaiting Tesla to get some integration with myQ, which not only commands my driveway gate and garage door, but also knows when each is open, closed, or in transit.

Returning home, I need the sequence:
1. arrive within 30 foot gate bubble -> open gate
2. exit gate bubble -> close gate
3. enter 30' garage door bubble - > open garage door

Departing home, I need:
1. exit 30' garage door bubble - > close garage door
2. arrive within 30 foot gate bubble -> open gate
3. exit gate bubble -> close gate

YES! I don't have a gate, but I do have MyQ on both of my garage doors.

What I'd love would be an integration with MyQ where I could have the vehicle check state of both doors, and make sure they're both closed when I leave.

I have the "left" garage door programmed to auto-open and auto-close, but lately I've been using the right door to exit the garage. That means I need to manually "skip" the left door, and then press on the right door, lest I leave my garage open.