Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Ostrichsak, I sometimes use a keypad outside the door, the chamberlain app on my smartphone and occasionally the remote clicker.
I have a feeling that somewhere in this combination lies the issue.

We've had four different Model S cars now with multiple times of having three at once. Three garage doors programmed in all of them. I started noticing this whenever I used either the keypad on the front of the garage (which has since been decommissioned) and/or a smart home device that triggers the doors either via scenes I've created or manually open/close within the smart home app. I started noticing this with various cars when spring time arrives and I start using my phone to trigger these smart home garage controllers via the app on my phone whenever we go for bike rides. It also seems to affect the close aspect more frequently than the open that I've noticed. I believe that somewhere within how Tesla handles the rolling code situation is the issue. I didn't have this problem with previous vehicles nor do I have this problem with other devices and controllers. I also don't think that whomever handles the code for this portion of the firmware has multiple devices they test on regularly because up until very recently some of the most basic features for multiple doors was missing from the app controls. Even now, you can use the app to trigger the homelink to open/close a garage door but there still exists no way to specify which door you'd like to open/close. It defaults to the one that is set as the primary within the auto open/close menu (even if you don't ever use this) and there's no way to tell it otherwise from the phone. This should be a very simple implementation and it's one of the chief reasons I still use a smart home controller as I'd prefer to use the Tesla app in this instance if it prevents the cars from randomly "forgetting" how to close a door.

Reactions: HarryPippic
My understanding is that Tesla (and other automakers) purchase a black box from Chamberlin (or whomever is the parent of that company) and the car interfaces with it very simply. toggle door, program, etc. The car firmware has no control over the rolling codes, etc. The fancy GPS location stuff comes from Tesla firmware, but not much else.

I feel like the antenna/transmitter is very weak. I also think the location in the nose of the car ends up being a poor choice as it is mostly surrounded by aluminum. Lots of cars have the transmitter in the mirror or upper console with the map lights.

I've come home a couple times and didn't realize the door didn't close as I left. Luckily we live in the middle of nowhere. My suspicion is that when backing out of the garage the GPS is blocked and doesn't acquire in time to register before you are past the set close distance. When driving home you have had full view of the sky to get a GPS lock long before you pull in.

Tesla's implementation of Home Link has always been faulty. It was bad in the early Model S cars, and they did nothing to correct it in Model 3. I've never been able to set my activation distance to more than 30 feet. If I try, the door activates, rises about 6 inches, and stops. This necessitates coming to a dead stop, manually lowering the door and then manually raising it. When set at 30 feet, it works properly every time, but at that distance there isn't time to raise the door sufficiently, so I have to come to a dead stop to wait for it to rise. I've tried repeating the pairing process a couple of times, and I extended the opener's monopole antenna all the way to the front of the garage with bell wire, all to no effect. Maybe in the Model ?, scheduled for release in 203?, Tesla will re-engineer this problem, but it's been obvious through many threads on this forum through the years, that, so far, there's never been anyone at Tesla who gives a rat's a__ about this nasty shortcoming.

Reactions: HarryPippic
Homelink in 2018 Model S opens the garage door 100% of the time, but closes the door maybe 70% of the time and works all the time with the garage door remote.

Could this be an antenna problem ?, made an appointment with Tesla MobileService. Any ideas ??
I have the opposite issue: door closes easily, but opening is more difficult. Suspect: metal door blocks signal when door is closed. I installed an external antenna from Liftmaster, and that has made it better...although not as good as I would like.

I feel like the antenna/transmitter is very weak. I also think the location in the nose of the car ends up being a poor choice as it is mostly surrounded by aluminum. Lots of cars have the transmitter in the mirror or upper console with the map lights.

Like the OP, my car doesn't fail to open, but it fails to close sometimes. When backing out of my garage, I notice that it doesn't even try to close the door sometimes. I rarely even use the keypad on the outside of the garage to open or close the door (which is actually just a wireless controller). I do use the button on the inside to close it when I go into the house and open it when I'm about to leave, however. It is somewhat random, but is better in cold weather for some reason.