Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my 2021 Model Y LR on 5/27 and I'm thinking in getting Homelink for it. I looked through the description and FAQ on the Tesla website but can't find the information I'm looking for.. My question is on how many garage doors can you program into homelink? I have 4 garage doors and 1 gate remote and I would like to control all of them without having to have the remotes in the car. My wife's BMW i3 can only handle 3 homelink devices.. How many can the Tesla Homelink operate?

I don't understand. Why not program the gate + 2 of the garage doors?
Does each car need to park in a different garage every day? If I had 4 garages and 4 cars, I bet I'll dedicate one garage per car permanently.

Unless you meant that you need to go through a gate plus 4 doors to get to your garage. In that case yes, you'd need to carry two additional remotes.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
I just got my 2021 Model Y LR on 5/27 and I'm thinking in getting Homelink for it. I looked through the description and FAQ on the Tesla website but can't find the information I'm looking for.. My question is on how many garage doors can you program into homelink? I have 4 garage doors and 1 gate remote and I would like to control all of them without having to have the remotes in the car. My wife's BMW i3 can only handle 3 homelink devices.. How many can the Tesla Homelink operate?
It's not a Tesla limitation but a Homelink limit - only 3 circuits. I have 1 garage door opener and 2 gates so 3 works out fine for me.

I don't understand. Why not program the gate + 2 of the garage doors?
Does each car need to park in a different garage every day? If I had 4 garages and 4 cars, I bet I'll dedicate one garage per car permanently.

Unless you meant that you need to go through a gate plus 4 doors to get to your garage. In that case yes, you'd need to carry two additional remotes.
I tend to shuffle around cars. I also have my compressor in one garage and if I need to inflate my tires, I need that garage door open. I have two 2 car garage doors and two 1 car garage doors. I also have the driveway gate.. The main garage that we are using is the 2 car garage with the BMW i3 and the Tesla.. The 4 car garage has our trailer that I will pull with the Tesla occasionally, my Kona Electric (which is going to be gone soon), my parents car (that they are using when they are visiting), the riding mower and yard equipment and my compressor.. Sometimes we swap spaces between the i3 and the Model Y because of the location of the charger, so I need at least the two garage doors on the 2 car garage on homelink.. Then I also need the gate.. So, that would already use up the available 3 slots.. When I want to get the trailer or put air in the tires etc., I won't be able to do it from the car without carrying those extra remotes with me...

20210422_111141.jpg

How often do you air up your tires or pull a trailer though? Those seem like edge cases you won't do on a regular basis.
For those two actions, I'm thinking you already will be at home, so you can open the garage from inside the house. (or via remotes inside the house)

I still think that the Tesla Homelink solution can work for you. Program it for the gate + 2 single car garages (where you keep/swap between the i3 and Y)

Last edited:
How often do you air up your tires or pull a trailer though? Those seem like edge cases you won't do on a regular basis.
For those two actions, I'm thinking you already will be at home, so you can open the garage from inside the house. (or via remotes inside the house)

I still think that the Tesla Homelink solution can work for you. Program it for the gate + 2 single car garages (where you keep/swap between the i3 and Y)
It depends on my business.. While I have a regular job as a Software Engineer, I do also have a business for home flipping and being a landlord. When I'm in the process of remodeling a home, I haul stuff back and forth to the property I'm working on almost on a daily basis.. Don't want to get the inside of the Y dirty when I do, so all the stuff I'm hauling has to go in the trailer..

I bought the Tesla Homelink and have zero regrets. The auto-open upon arrival at home is priceless. And you can adjust from how far way it triggers the signal (e.g. 40 ft from gate, so its fully open by the time you approach). No need to mess with remotes/touchscreen/phones at all.

(My garage gate auto-closes after some time, so I don't use the auto-close function in the Tesla Homelink)

I bought the Tesla Homelink and have zero regrets. The auto open upon arrival at home is priceless. And you can adjust from how far way it triggers the signal (e.g. 40 ft from gate, so its fully open by the time you approach). No need to mess with remotes/touchscreen/phones at all.

(My garage gate auto-closes after some time, so I don't use the auto-close function in the Tesla Homelink)
Didn't even know about that feature (auto arrival).. That's cool!

Now that's awesome and a great solution!! Thanks!!!
i don't have personal experience w/that model, so I'd do some research. just trying to offer options. I have 2/4 of mine on wifi, and it's great. I can see when the dog walker comes, I setup auto close daily at 9 AM, 11am, 3pm and 11 pm, so if we leave it open, it just closes. (or you can check anytime, anywhere in the world from the app).

you can open it if friends stop by and you're not home. (we use the garage door as primary in/out.

I also recently setup a 12 Wyze v3 camera system to replace my DVR. wifi all the things!

Reactions: FloridaSun
i don't have personal experience w/that model, so I'd do some research. just trying to offer options. I have 2/4 of mine on wifi, and it's great. I can see when the dog walker comes, I setup auto close daily at 9 AM, 11am, 3pm and 11 pm, so if we leave it open, it just closes. (or you can check anytime, anywhere in the world from the app).

you can open it if friends stop by and you're not home. (we use the garage door as primary in/out.

I also recently setup a 12 Wyze v3 camera system to replace my DVR. wifi all the things!
I'll probably go with that solution. Seems to work with OK Google too.. OK Google, open garage door 1... OK google open garage door 2... If it works like that, this is perfect.. No more pushing remotes at all.