Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink retrofit install failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They had removed the remote install option for late 2023 cars as well. I called Tesla to whine about that, and they told me that I could just “request service” and add the HomeLink and say I wanted it done at home (instead of buying it through the store and scheduling). I did just that, and no issues, the tech came out and installed it at home. But, like everyone said, that’s a 2023 car.
You can do that on the app easily. Tesla charges 350 for the module and installation. Not sure how much it is on eBay but it is 350 if you buy it with Tesla. Might as well opt for installation since Mobile Tech can do it in your driveway or garage!

You can do that on the app easily. Tesla charges 350 for the module and installation. Not sure how much it is on eBay but it is 350 if you buy it with Tesla. Might as well opt for installation since Mobile Tech can do it in your driveway or garage!

I don't think the discussion is about whether you can still purchase the unit through tesla, that has always been available. this discussion is more about purchasing the unit somewhere else to DIY and going through the retrofit software installation process. Some folks are getting an error with the software part during the DIY, speculating that tesla removed the agility to DIY the homelink

Mine is 12/23 I purchased it in mid Jan 24, did homelink retrofit at home around last week of Jan 24. No issues.

I don’t think they have locked down or anything, it’s just few cars facing issues!
There are a lot of variables here. What was your software version when you did the install? Most of us having issues are on recent builds. So the general feeling is this got broken/blocked around Feb timeframe. Or maybe only certain cars are seeing it and others are fine. Clearly something has changed.

I don't think the discussion is about whether you can still purchase the unit through tesla, that has always been available. this discussion is more about purchasing the unit somewhere else to DIY and going through the retrofit software installation process. Some folks are getting an error with the software part during the DIY, speculating that tesla removed the agility to DIY the homelink
But why? Its 350 for a trouble free install by a certified Tesla Tech in your home that they can doin 15 minutes. Why try to mess it up ? Some things just don't make sense.

Ebay is selling a used module for 325. Why would I pay 325 and DIY it when I can get it done for 350 for a new module in my garage at aconvenient time I want?

Reactions: Gumball
Ebay is selling a used module for 325. Why would I pay 325 and DIY it when I can get it done for 350 for a new module in my garage at aconvenient time I want?
Not sure where you are looking but I got the brand new OEM module with bracket and the nut for $165. It took me less than 10 min to install (free). If that had worked (as it was supposed to as per so many YouTube videos) we wouldn’t be having this thread discussion. If Tesla had not blocked the registration then this was a simple plug and play. But now, in light of these issues most folks won’t be doing it anymore. That is why I started this thread to warn others of Tesla shenanigans.

Reactions: PoitNarf
Not sure where you are looking but I got the brand new OEM module with bracket and the nut for $165. It took me less than 10 min to install (free). If that had worked (as it was supposed to as per so many YouTube videos) we wouldn’t be having this thread discussion. If Tesla had not blocked the registration then this was a simple plug and play. But now, in light of these issues most folks won’t be doing it anymore. That is why I started this thread to warn others of Tesla shenanigans.
This one!
Screenshot 2024-02-15 132404.png

Seen a few for 165 ish but the compatible years states 2021 or below. Not sure the new HW4 would be compatible or not. The new module has memory for 3 doors whereas the old one had room for four!

Yea... that won't sell. They're waiting for someone to "make an offer".

For my 21 I had Tesla do it for $300. When i got my 23, I decided it was worth 10min of my time and a bit of risk to save $200.

I got mine for like $160 a few months ago and installed it myself in a few minutes. No issues. But I like doing that stuff and I miss working on my cars (lol)

Yea... that won't sell. They're waiting for someone to "make an offer".

For my 21 I had Tesla do it for $300. When i got my 23, I decided it was worth 10min of my time and a bit of risk to save $200.

I got mine for like $160 a few months ago and installed it myself in a few minutes. No issues. But I like doing that stuff and I miss working on my cars (lol)
HW4 May be a bit different with AMD Ryzen CPU/MCU. The HomeLink install may be not as straight forward as there was a lot of confusion even at the time of taking delivery. As I mentioned in my previous posts, I had 3 different versions of installation before I left the service center and 2 different versions coming directly from Tesla after I booked the appointment. I just did not want to risk anything. I mean 250 DIY vs 350 Mobile Tech doing it for me in my house. I would choose Mobile Tech any day!

I looked into all of this and eventually went with a $10 garage door clicker that I hook it on to the sun visor. Works like a charm with no subscription.
That works but little odd in a highly tech oriented car carrying around 2-3 clickers! Here you are cruising down the highway in EAP/FSD and come to your home and start clickety click instead of the car doing it automatically for you. Would look really embarrassing if you have a date and trying hard to impress about the tech prowess!

That works but little odd in a highly tech oriented car carrying around 2-3 clickers! Here you are cruising down the highway in EAP/FSD and come to your home and start clickety click instead of the car doing it automatically for you. Would look really embarrassing if you have a date and trying hard to impress about the tech prowess!
Its only one clicker per car. Its too irrelevant to display any tech prowess. You bust your ass in the gym but lazy enough to lift a finger? Good luck impressing a date with that.

Its only one clicker per car. Its too irrelevant to display any tech prowess. You bust your ass in the gym but lazy enough to lift a finger? Good luck impressing a date with that.
Yeah! if you have one garage door to open. I have a gate and 2 separate garage doors which means I have to stick 3 clickers on my shade! Definitely not a pretty sight in a Tesla. My jeep has HomeLink built in but I have to lift my finger to press the right button! Still looks better than lining up all those clickers on the shade!

Reactions: VipinLJ
Oct/Nov 2023 Build Y w/ HW4. bought the eBay module/bracket/bolt Feb 9th (not so much to save money, but because it seemed like the quicker/easier/lower-friction route to not have to bother to schedule a service appt), installed yesterday, received error message, found this thread, contacted Tesla Service:
Screenshot 2024-02-15 152239.jpg

Oct/Nov 2023 Build Y w/ HW4. bought the eBay module/bracket/bolt Feb 9th (not so much to save money, but because it seemed like the quicker/easier/lower-friction route to not have to bother to schedule a service appt), installed yesterday, received error message, found this thread, contacted Tesla Service:
View attachment 1018808
This is what I was afraid of about buying modules off ebay. They are usually removed rom a damaged car and seldom completely new.