Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink retrofit install failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah! if you have one garage door to open. I have a gate and 2 separate garage doors which means I have to stick 3 clickers on my shade! Definitely not a pretty sight in a Tesla. My jeep has HomeLink built in but I have to lift my finger to press the right button! Still looks better than lining up all those clickers on the shade!
JFYI: I have seen a clicker with 3 buttons to configure 3 separate garage doors!!

Oct/Nov 2023 Build Y w/ HW4. bought the eBay module/bracket/bolt Feb 9th (not so much to save money, but because it seemed like the quicker/easier/lower-friction route to not have to bother to schedule a service appt), installed yesterday, received error message, found this thread, contacted Tesla Service:
View attachment 1018808
This is new… because I’ve read of Tesla owners taking their Homelink module out of their to-be-traded-in Tesla and using it in their new Tesla. This implies that you can no longer do that. Which is total cr@p. What’s next? I can’t move my roof rack, floor mats, center console trays or other accessories to my new Tesla?

Tesla didn’t disclose that Homelink was not transferable when sold as new. WTF?

Reactions: PoitNarf
JFYI: I have seen a clicker with 3 buttons to configure 3 separate garage doors!!
They are different systems unfortunately. You cannot program your clicker if they are not compatible. Maybe you can if they are the same system. Its different with gates where you have dozens of people using it from the community and you cannot program it your clicker. You can take the clicker and program it to HomeLink but not the other way round.

Reactions: Ritu_o0o
This is new… because I’ve read of Tesla owners taking their Homelink module out of their to-be-traded-in Tesla and using it in their new Tesla. This implies that you can no longer do that. Which is total cr@p. What’s next? I can’t move my roof rack, floor mats, center console trays or other accessories to my new Tesla?

Tesla didn’t disclose that Homelink was not transferable when sold as new. WTF?
I think its because of some hardware and software changes with the new models. HW4 needs a little programing from what I understand from Tesla Mobile Tech.

Oct/Nov 2023 Build Y w/ HW4. bought the eBay module/bracket/bolt Feb 9th (not so much to save money, but because it seemed like the quicker/easier/lower-friction route to not have to bother to schedule a service appt), installed yesterday, received error message, found this thread, contacted Tesla Service:
View attachment 1018808

The last part of the message isn't visible. Does it say that the purchased (not installed yet) module will be pre-linked to your car when you receive it? Could you DIY install the Homelink module if purchased from Tesla directly?

The last part of the message isn't visible. Does it say that the purchased (not installed yet) module will be pre-linked to your car when you receive it? Could you DIY install the Homelink module if purchased from Tesla directly?
Tesla will not ship it to your home. They will only ship it to a service center or the Mobile Tech will bring one with him. Cost 350 for the module plus installation. Pretty easy. Go on the app and set it up. Not much point in mucking around with DIY just to save a few bucks.

Yeah! if you have one garage door to open. I have a gate and 2 separate garage doors which means I have to stick 3 clickers on my shade! Definitely not a pretty sight in a Tesla. My jeep has HomeLink built in but I have to lift my finger to press the right button! Still looks better than lining up all those clickers on the shade!
I have a 3 car garage and the clicker supports 3 so only one clicker per car. I also have eKyro smart garage door opener controlled by an App with Google home and Alexa integration. I mostly use the clicker as I find it faster than opening an App on the phone. I will forgo the comfort of auto open for a subscription fee and use my finger instead.

Reactions: arvindm
I have a 3 car garage and the clicker supports 3 so only one clicker per car. I also have eKyro smart garage door opener controlled by an App with Google home and Alexa integration. I mostly use the clicker as I find it faster than opening an App on the phone. I will forgo the comfort of auto open for a subscription fee and use my finger instead.
That's a very complicated way o go but I guess it works. My situation is a whole lot different and the HomeLink works great without lifting a finger. There is no one fix for everyone!

If it applies to you, Homelink opens Chamberlain gate openers and Chamberlain MyQ does not. It is apparently a Tesla version of MyQ
That may be right. But our gate is a different system that cannot be programmed to a clicker. They have their own! But HomeLink picked it up and opens the gate without any issues. Its nice to see the gate opening from 50 Ft away as you are approaching without lifting a finger!

Tesla will not ship it to your home. They will only ship it to a service center or the Mobile Tech will bring one with him. Cost 350 for the module plus installation. Pretty easy. Go on the app and set it up. Not much point in mucking around with DIY just to save a few bucks.
I just talked to Tesla and the representative said that the HomeLink module, if purchased from Tesla, will be tied to your VIN and the install can be done by the owner as DIY. Hopefully this info is correct.

Reactions: arvindm
OP here and wanted to share my experience. I have 2023 MYLR, Fremont build picked in March of 2023. Ordered the OEM (brand new) part. Got the authorization error during the install (hence this thread). Tried everything but it did not work. I am on software 2023.2.2.1. Finally took it to the nearby Tesla SC. They said retrofit is no longer allowed because there is VIN to module registration. So he said he can swap it for me and put another one. He did that and it started working. I was done in about 20 minutes. So clearly aftermarket modules purchased anywhere else wont work anymore. Lesson learnt.

My advice to any future DIY installers is not to bother with this adventure anymore. Its unclear when Tesla blocked it or if the service agent did something else inside the shop (I was in waiting room) to activate it. I don't know but all I know is that it was a painful experience with a lot of time & effort wasted (not worth it). In my informal chat with the agent we speculated that one the reasons behind removing homelink could be to encourage people to use MyQ integration instead. The monthly MyQ subscription has Tesla cut built into it perpetually. Although it was said that Homelink was being removed because stats show very few people are using it. No idea how they got those stats because most people who buy EVs *HAVE* a garage so that they can charge the car. Anyway, my saga has ended. Good luck to others who may still want to go down this adventure path.

Last edited:
I just talked to Tesla and the representative said that the HomeLink module, if purchased from Tesla, will be tied to your VIN and the install can be done by the owner as DIY. Hopefully this info is correct.
I appreciate all of the info in this thread. Wanted to share my experience for those that are interested. Just picked up a 2024 Model Y built January 2024. I decided to buy the parts for homelink from my local service center and install myself. Figured I could save myself from having to make another appointment and wait for parts to arrive to the service center (and save a few bucks in the process). They had the parts in stock today, and I installed without any hiccups this afternoon, no waiting. Car is currently on 2023.44.200.5.1. All three parts were $230 + tax.

Screenshot_20240216_164812_Gallery.jpg

20240216_100344.jpg

Reactions: arvindm and Visvism
I appreciate all of the info in this thread. Wanted to share my experience for those that are interested. Just picked up a 2024 Model Y built January 2024. I decided to buy the parts for homelink from my local service center and install myself. Figured I could save myself from having to make another appointment and wait for parts to arrive to the service center (and save a few bucks in the process). They had the parts in stock today, and I installed without any hiccups this afternoon, no waiting. Car is currently on 2023.44.200.5.1. All three parts were $230 + tax.

View attachment 1019143
View attachment 1019144
You saved 120 bucks! Wow!

At Tesla eveything changes by the day! Just couple weeks ago it was absolutely no DIY installation and only service center installation to Mobile Tech installation and now buy the module at service center and install it yourself and save a few bucks! Hard to keep up with these crazy MFers!

At Tesla eveything changes by the day! Just couple weeks ago it was absolutely no DIY installation and only service center installation to Mobile Tech installation and now buy the module at service center and install it yourself and save a few bucks! Hard to keep up with these crazy MFers!
With my previous experience, do not take for granted what Tesla employees will tell you, 95% of the time they will make stories based on your problem statement.

Again, I do not believe that Tesla is locking down homelink DIY installations at all.