Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink retrofit install failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a software, glitch could be anywhere from server response to incorrect configuration done for the Car.

Think about this, Tesla has lot of work to be done for its software to make it better. Adding homelink restrictions would not be their priority at all.
Maybe but Tesla has been nickel and diming a lot lately. Many of the freebies we enjoyed in the early days has been slowly chipped away to the point you gotta pay pay and pay like you are in a carnival cruise! You want a better seat at the dining table, 50 bucks more! So it would not surprise me that Tesla may be blocking these so customers can pay more! And why not when they are the leaders in the EV industry?

It’s a software, glitch could be anywhere from server response to incorrect configuration done for the Car.

Think about this, Tesla has lot of work to be done for its software to make it better. Adding homelink restrictions would not be their priority at all.
What it does seem like they're doing is restricting gateway changes altogether. S/X on the 2024 software aren't able to do the Yoke/Wheel swap DIY anymore either.

It's not a serverside feature.

I appreciate all of the info in this thread. Wanted to share my experience for those that are interested. Just picked up a 2024 Model Y built January 2024. I decided to buy the parts for homelink from my local service center and install myself. Figured I could save myself from having to make another appointment and wait for parts to arrive to the service center (and save a few bucks in the process). They had the parts in stock today, and I installed without any hiccups this afternoon, no waiting. Car is currently on 2023.44.200.5.1. All three parts were $230 + tax.

View attachment 1019143
View attachment 1019144

They sold you the three individual parts for $230+tax (as distinct from the kit from tesla.com that contains the same three parts and includes "free" installation for $350+tax)??

From your photo, the Homelink adapter's part number was 1114984-00-B, what of the bracket and screw?

Your profile says Los Angeles, which SC?

They sold you the three individual parts for $230+tax (as distinct from the kit from tesla.com that contains the same three parts and includes "free" installation for $350+tax)??
Yes, that is correct. I thought the part numbers were somewhere up thread, but I realize it would be helpful to add here as well! I'm pretty sure any service center would assist but on this particular visit, I was at the Alhambra SC.

1114984-00-B - $200 - MODULE, HOMELINK V, OPTION 2
1098355-00-B - $30 - BRACKET, HOMELINK V
1100020-00-A - 3¢ - BOLT,TRX,FLG,M6-1.0X23[8.8]-MP

Reactions: KevinT3141
The last part of the message isn't visible. Does it say that the purchased (not installed yet) module will be pre-linked to your car when you receive it? Could you DIY install the Homelink module if purchased from Tesla directly?
No, they claim that the installation requires a technician, which is included in the $350 order from their store. They don't deliver it to the house, either come to service center or mobile tech.

Tesla will not ship it to your home. They will only ship it to a service center or the Mobile Tech will bring one with him. Cost 350 for the module plus installation. Pretty easy. Go on the app and set it up. Not much point in mucking around with DIY just to save a few bucks.
I was trying to avoid the hassle of scheduling. It used to be a super-simple DIY that could be done at my convenience. Even more convenient would have been mentioning at the time of order that this was no longer included along with an option to add during the initial purchase.

This is new… because I’ve read of Tesla owners taking their Homelink module out of their to-be-traded-in Tesla and using it in their new Tesla. This implies that you can no longer do that. Which is total cr@p. What’s next? I can’t move my roof rack, floor mats, center console trays or other accessories to my new Tesla?

Tesla didn’t disclose that Homelink was not transferable when sold as new. WTF?
Wish I ran into this thread sooner. Just took delivery of my Model Y a few days ago. Spent 2 hours the day before liberating the HomeLink module from the Model 3 I traded in. Running into the same error message now when trying to do the retrofit procedure…

2024 Model Y running 2024.2.2.1.

Last edited:
No, they claim that the installation requires a technician, which is included in the $350 order from their store. They don't deliver it to the house, either come to service center or mobile tech.
Two years ago, they used to mail them to you directly. Then you would set up a mobile appointment and the SC team would confirm that you had the package in hand before coming out to install. Sometime since then, the procedure has changed and the package gets sent to your service center directly. There was also a price bump since then from $325 --> $350 + tax.

This tread caught my attention for my 2024 MY. Sounds to me like once the module is programmed to a VIN, it cannot be changed.

So moving forward don’t buy used parts and expect them to work.
Or at least cannot be changed by "us". Maybe Tesla Techs know how to reconfigure but its not clear what they do. Also, not just used parts but even Brand new OEM parts purchased "outside" of Tesla won't work until this software glitch (or deliberate blocking) has been fixed/removed. In the meantime people are better off just getting it done via Tesla. Tesla's are not very DIY friendly and they continue to move in that direction. Heck Tesla is not even local Mechanic Friendly as they don't share information with others.

Reactions: arvindm
Or at least cannot be changed by "us". Maybe Tesla Techs know how to reconfigure but its not clear what they do. Also, not just used parts but even Brand new OEM parts purchased "outside" of Tesla won't work until this software glitch (or deliberate blocking) has been fixed/removed. In the meantime people are better off just getting it done via Tesla. Tesla's are not very DIY friendly and they continue to move in that direction. Heck Tesla is not even local Mechanic Friendly as they don't share information with others.
It looks like the Tesla Service Center or the Mobile Techs can re configure these modules. Years ago I ran into a similar issue with my Corvette C7. The center console display module dies and Corvette dealer quoted 700 to replace it plus another 125 to program it. I bought a used module from eBay for 140 and sent it to some place in Colorado with the VIN number of my car and they programmed it for 100 bucks. He told me the module I bought belonged to a Buick but since GM uses the same module for every make it didn't matter. I replaced it myself and It worked fine.

Just providing an alternative for anyone wanting to add automation to their garage. I have this currently and love it. I have the auto open set at 100ft and the auto close set at 250ft. Works like a charm, every single time.

Tailwind iQ3.

With an Android device you get instant automation of open and closing of garage based on phone location. You also can integrate with just about any smart home ecosystem. With an iPhone you need to add an additional bluetooth sensor for the automation of the opening and closing of the garage door.

Reactions: posity
I wonder if they gave service centers a simplified version of what's actually going on. I'm not sold on this either, but you never know.
I believe Tesla techs can program the VIN number or change the VIN on an older module from what some folks have done by buying a module on eBay and getting Tesla tech to install it! I did that years ago with my Corvette when the media center display failed due to a failure of the display module. I bought one on eBay that had the same part number and sent it to a place in Colorado where they reprogrammed it to my VIN number and I installed it. It worked fine. The guys who reprogrammed it told me BTW that module was from a Buick!!