Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink retrofit install failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It errors out after
By clicking that, it should update the config. I wonder if Tesla disabled it so you need to make a SC visit ?

IMG_4932.jpeg

Mine is 12/23 model Y, purchased it in mid Jan 24 with Jan software installed on the very same day of purchase.

Late Jan 24, I received my eBay package of homelink module. Followed the installation process as per YouTube and it went thru!! No issues.

Very few ppl are facing issues with the installation and I believe these people have got car with some configuration issues to begin with.
You keep saying that and yet you never disclose what version of Software you were on when you installed. We already know this issue started with 2024.xxx. Either you somehow prove that you were on 2024.xx version of Software when you installed it (which came in 1st wk of February or so there is no way you were on 2024.xx because you installed in Jan) or please stop posting confusing msgs and saying things like other peoples car have issues to begin with. My car has no issues except that I got this authentication error (so thank you very much). Tesla SC literally told me that VIN mapping started with new authorization in 2024.xxx.

Last edited:
Until a couple weeks ago it was basically a 100% hit. It’s also nice to be able to avoid the Tesla service center since many of us don’t live close to one and don’t get serviced by mobile service either.
Yes I did not think of that, sorry. I did not realize that SC could be so far away. So just like everyone else, I am pissed too. Its literally a plug and play if it worked. I continue to hope that Tesla will either fix this in future updates or someone will figure out how to bypass the authentication error. If Tesla SA can do it, I am sure someone will figure it out

Reactions: arvindm
Yes I did not think of that, sorry. I did not realize that SC could be so far away. So just like everyone else, I am pissed too. Its literally a plug and play if it worked. I continue to hope that Tesla will either fix this in future updates or someone will figure out how to bypass the authentication error. If Tesla SA can do it, I am sure someone will figure it out
I really hope someone can hack it. The problem may be that Tesla has removed the software necessary for smooth installation which used to be a simple plug and play. If I am not mistaken, the Tesla Service Center told me that there is a bit of software installation that the tech has to do in order for the module to work! I think this has been a problem with the MY coming out of Giga Texas with AMD Ryzen MCU not to mention the USB media streaming has also been deleted in the center consoles. The software on these is definitely different from the Intel based MCU. I do not have any proof but that seems the most logical explanation why the new MY from Giga Austin have been a problem to retrofit the HomeLink modules without the help of mobile tech or the service center. Curiously, the MY coming out of California do not seem to have this problem. What do you guys think?

Have you even tried on a 2024 software car or looked through the thread? Very first post in this thread. This is what happens when you try on 2024.2 or later

retrofit_small-jpg.1015635
View attachment 1021534
This may actually prove my theory that Tesla has deleted the software needed to install and run HomeLink module! That is the reason the plug n play does not work. The TSC or mobile tech guys will need to install that piece of software in order for the MCU to recognize the module. It all makes perfect sense now. Well! fellas, dont stress over it. Just pay the damn 350 and be done with it. Fortunately Tesla makes it easy to install it through mobile tech. Except for the 350 I had to shell out, no regrets so far!

….Well! fellas, dont stress over it. Just pay the damn 350 and be done with it. Fortunately Tesla makes it easy to install it through mobile tech. Except for the 350 I had to shell out, no regrets so far!
So why are you trolling a thread about self installation of Homelink? I had the same issue and lucked out when the mobile ranger got mine to work after an hour of trying all types of things. He confirmed they have a huge uptick in similar issues in the last two weeks but there is not internal memo or bulletins on why it’s happening.

I was in the car when he hooked his laptop up and we saw the module showing on the diagnostic screen and it passed the diagnostic test but would not register.

This forum is full of DIY tips, threads etc. I’m glad you paid $350. I paid $150. C’est la vie.

Reactions: VipinLJ
So why are you trolling a thread about self installation of Homelink? I had the same issue and lucked out when the mobile ranger got mine to work after an hour of trying all types of things. He confirmed they have a huge uptick in similar issues in the last two weeks but there is not internal memo or bulletins on why it’s happening.

I was in the car when he hooked his laptop up and we saw the module showing on the diagnostic screen and it passed the diagnostic test but would not register.

This forum is full of DIY tips, threads etc. I’m glad you paid $350. I paid $150. C’est la vie.
Whoopie! Good for you! Last I heard this forum is for everyone!

You keep saying that and yet you never disclose what version of Software you were on when you installed. We already know this issue started with 2024.xxx. Either you somehow prove that you were on 2024.xx version of Software when you installed it (which came in 1st wk of February or so there is no way you were on 2024.xx because you installed in Jan) or please stop posting confusing msgs and saying things like other peoples car have issues to begin with. My car has no issues except that I got this authentication error (so thank you very much). Tesla SC literally told me that VIN mapping started with new authorization in 2024.xxx.
I have attached the software updates that my car has, see attached pic. My car was 2024.2 (I scrolled all the way down , you can see visible scroll bar right side of the image) this 2024.2 was installed on the same day I got my car Mid Jan.

Now stop blaming others and trusting ppl, I had no intention to contribute false info here!!

Attachments

• IMG_0379.jpeg
    IMG_0379.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: arvindm
I have attached the software updates that my car has, see attached pic. My car was 2024.2 (I scrolled all the way down , you can see visible scroll bar right side of the image) this 2024.2 was installed on the same day I got my car Mid Jan.

Now stop blaming others and trusting ppl, I had no intention to contribute false info here!!
You were not on 2024.2 in mid January.

Interesting. My Dec 23 MYP had 2023.44 installed the day before I tried to upgrade and I got the Auth Failure. For what it’s with, the Mobile Service tech who got it working did a full reset of the car, but I don’t know which procedure actually got the successfully online. The interesting thing is that it doesn’t show up on my Specifications page even though it’s working in my car now.

Last edited:
Not sure how else I can prove it. But I did update my car around Jan 18 or 20th and 2024.2 was the first update shows in my app.

Any there way to reconfirm?

Once again, there were ZERO installs for 2024.xxx in January. So its impossible that you were on 2044.xxx if you installed in January. You can check this link below for more details:

It was released to non FSD cars in the 1st week of February. As we all know, there is no way for *anyone* to *force* an update, so even if you were the luckiest person and got that update amongst the first wave, the earliest you could get it would be 1st week of February, *NOT* before.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlipiIsPsycho