Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink service appointment... still no homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had an appointment to have the homelink device installed and set up. When we left the appointment the service tech said that the icon would show up in the next 24 hrs and could be set up once it has.... well, It has been 3 days since the install and We haven't seen anything yet

Yeah, this sounds like another ‘tell them crap to get them out the door’. It’s a software option, it shows up when installed and enabled. Not like the mothership needs to ‘think about it’.

I would call national support and see if they can see it’s just not enabled or the module is bad or what. Hopefully can be done remotely.

Agree this should have not been separated out. Like the wheel options, bet they get too many calls for it and this goes (back) Into standard.

Here’s an alternative that is cheaper and easier. It takes a little diy, but it’s worth it.

You can buy the sonoff basic for $10 on Amazon. You can then use your phone as a garage door opener. I use mine in conjunction with MyQ so I get notifications of the garage door status, and can use that app to open or close the garage from my phone.

Now, the sonoff is more convenience. I have an amazon echo auto in my car. All I have to do is give the command when I am coming or going to open or close the garage door. I can also use IFTTT to open or close the garage door based off of proximity, but the wife gets mad when I leave right before her and the garage door closes.

Does anyone know if you buy a homelink module from a crashed car on ebay and install yourself, will the car recognize one is there and enable the feature? Or must something be switched from a tech's laptop?

I'm also considering a frameless homelink mirror which is about $160 on Amazon. Looks good and has auto dimming just like the stock mirror.

I'd pay the $300 for the Tesla homelink if the car came with it. Not too excited about someone pulling my bumper off.

There's a thread on TMC started by a guy that did what you asked. He bought a M3 Homelink on ebay, (I think it was $150) and installed it himself. He said he went to the SC and they programmed the car for (I think) $20 so it would work.

On your frameless homelink mirror, there's no reason it would not work. Its just not going to show up on the screen. (I suspect you knew that too.)

Yeah, this sounds like another ‘tell them crap to get them out the door’. It’s a software option, it shows up when installed and enabled. Not like the mothership needs to ‘think about it’.

I would call national support and see if they can see it’s just not enabled or the module is bad or what. Hopefully can be done remotely.

Agree this should have not been separated out. Like the wheel options, bet they get too many calls for it and this goes (back) Into standard.

what number do I call to get a hold of someone directly??

We had an appointment to have the homelink device installed and set up. When we left the appointment the service tech said that the icon would show up in the next 24 hrs and could be set up once it has.... well, It has been 3 days since the install and We haven't seen anything yet
I just had mobile service come to activate mine (I installed it myself with an eBay unit). Took about 30 seconds to hook the computer up and change the software. Then he spent an hour and half trying to get the icon to appear. Basically he disconnected the 12vt battery, then the high voltage hookup under the rear seat, waited 10 minutes, and tried again. I believe he said eventually he did all that, then reset using the steering wheel buttons and finally it appeared. So, you might try resetting different ways over a few times.

Does anyone know if you buy a homelink module from a crashed car on ebay and install yourself, will the car recognize one is there and enable the feature? Or must something be switched from a tech's laptop?

I'm also considering a frameless homelink mirror which is about $160 on Amazon. Looks good and has auto dimming just like the stock mirror.

I'd pay the $300 for the Tesla homelink if the car came with it. Not too excited about someone pulling my bumper off.
You can buy one off of eBay and install, but it will not recognize it right away. I did this and scheduled mobile service to come and activate it. He plugged his laptop into the car to enable it. Then it took him an hour and half of unplugging and resetting the car to get the icon to appear. I was charged 90 bucks for half an hour of labor. However, I didn’t have to take it to a service center 2 hours away which is a big win in my book.

You can buy one off of eBay and install, but it will not recognize it right away. I did this and scheduled mobile service to come and activate it. He plugged his laptop into the car to enable it. Then it took him an hour and half of unplugging and resetting the car to get the icon to appear. I was charged 90 bucks for half an hour of labor. However, I didn’t have to take it to a service center 2 hours away which is a big win in my book.

Thanks for the data point. That would wipe out any savings from buying a used module.

What is this "homelink device"? My car didn't need any special setup for Homelink ...

what part of the car did he unplug? and do you know how he performed the reset? 'm having issues where we had ours installed at the service center and they told us the icon would show up in about 24 hours... Its been 7 days, no icon. I have already tried to do a reset with the steering wheel buttons and break pedal, other than that I don't know what to do.

I've tried to contact Tesla through chat, once last night, and once again now... I'm sitting here waiting.. looking at "we're connecting you with a Tesla expert" I've been waiting for just over 45 minutes now. After about 30 min of waiting I thought it might be quicker to get answers on a forum than their chat...

Also, during my wait I went ahead and typed them up a message on my issues so far so I can quickly copy and paste... I could elaborate more, but this is what I have... I just need to vent at the moment. ..

"I'm having an issue with the homelink device that was installed on 9/4 last week. I was told after the install that day that the icon would appear in 24 hours and I should be able to program the garage door opener. It has been 7 days and I have yet to see the homelink icon appear. Yesterday I spoke with a representative on the online chat. She first told me that in order to have diagnostics take a look at the car I had to be in the car and on at least 3 bars of wifi, I told her that my wife had the car and would be home later. As I was texting my wife to see when she would get home the chat representative told me that there was a mechanical issue and I would need to schedule another service visit to have the problem resolved. At that moment, I was wondering why she told me they couldn't diagnose the car until it was on wifi.... and then give me a diagnosis a minute later. In any case, that news was upsetting, as both my wife and I work during normal service center hours and live over 50 miles away. I requested a mobile tech, she replied telling me a mobile tech couldn't perform the work and a service visit was mandatory.

Jump to today, I called the service center that performed the initial service and also where I had made the second appointment after realizing the icon didn't show up after 24 hrs. I spoke with a rep at the center that looked up my info and maybe communicated with the car (I don't know). All I know is that he told me that the firmware was not installed correctly and a mobile tech will need to come out to install it. At this point I hope you can understand my frustration. I went in for service with an expected 1-2 hour install, was given the car back over 3 hours later, it didn't appear after the "24 hours", I called chat, they said it was "mechanical", I called service, they said it was "firmware" (not mechanical),... lastly I discovered today that some of the frunk was not seated right, upon further inspection, there are clips missing, then I lift up the carpet and see that the two screws there are loose! I can send you pictures. But the main concern is just getting the homelink operational! I apologize how lengthy this chat message is, but I'm sitting here watching the pop up that says "We're connecting you with a Tesla expert..." and I figure I might as well get all the info typed up and ready.. with that in mind my name is ** **, the last 6 of my VIN is 451** my phone number is **. I finished this message at 8:12 pm my time."

And I finally got someone at 8:56!!

I guess while I'm at it, I'll post our conversation for your entertainment. Lets see if the "Expert" (sorry for being cynical Christina... If that is even your real name!!) can help me. I do really hope so though...

• Hello my name is Christina and I will be assisting you today.
    Christina

• Good!

• (Copied and pasted from above)

• Ill give you a moment
    8:53 PM
  • Thanks Dylan for having all the information handy and for the summary on your concerns.

• Sorry to hear of your experience.

• C
    Pulling up your account.
    Christina

• ok

• C
    Let me check on the software update.
    Christina

• ok

• C
    Looks like I have another chat with you as well?
    Christina

• uhh yeah, i see that

• I guess I have your undivided attention then.. Haha!

• hahaha, yep
    8:58 PM
  • C
    Okay I show software updates are normal. There is no pending or failed updates.
    Christina

• do the current updates include the homelink firmware?
    9:01 PM
  • C
    Did you ever see the homelink icon on your touchscreen?
    Christina

• nope, never.
    9:04 PM

• you still there

• sorry it look like i lost internet for a sec.
    9:06 PM
  • C
    Okay I am checking on one more thing..
    Christina

• ok
    9:07 PM
  • Alright so as of May 30, 2019, homelink was only available to Model S and X. It was available to Model 3 with Premium Interior ordered before May 30.

• uhh.. Yeah i know.

• thats why i paid $300 to have it put on

• C
    Got it.
    Christina

• it is now an aftermarket item
    9:11 PM
  • C
    Okay, sending this for further technical support.
    Christina

• ok
    9:12 PM
  • C
    One more question, where did you have the device installed? Service Center?
    Christina

• Yes, a service center.

• Specifically the only located at 5300 democracy dr in plano texas

• one*
    9:16 PM
  • C
    Thank you, I am sending this for further help.
    Christina

9:17 PM

• My location history with google maps shows we arrived on 9/4 at 9:09 AM and left at 12:44 pm.
    9:19 PM
  • Okay, thank you.
    9:21 PM
  • C
    Alright, so I sent this to our technical support. I was checking if they were able to address tonight, but they have left for the day and will be here in the morning.
    Christina

• What time are their scheduled hours?

• They are normally here 6 am to 8pm MST.

• C
    I can follow up in the morning.
    Christina

• Ok, so they will be in at 7am, my time?
    9:31 PM

• Just a heads up... given my experience so far with the lack of communication, problem solving abilities, general knowledge, and the service center's mechanical skills putting my car back together!!.. I will be copying and pasting this conversation in a forum. Nothing against you personally, you can only do so much. But I do need record of this issue from this point on until it is resolved.

• C
    I see.
    Christina

9:36 PM

• We can first tackle the Homelink problem, and then I will need to address the re-assembly of my car with the service center I went to.

• Homelink service appointment... still no homelink

• Thats a link to the forum that I'll have it posted in a few, if you would like to follow any responses.. or just for fun.

• So will someone be contacting me tomorrow morning?
    9:41 PM
  • I will request for a call to you, and I will follow up as well when I get in at 9 am.

• Ok, thanks. Is that 9 am my time or your time?

• I'm sorry for the delay and experience.

• C
    I get in at 9 but I will request if they can contact you in the morning when they get in.
    Christina

• ok, thanks
  • Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
    Christina

• nope, that's it. thanks!
    • 9:48 PM
    • You are welcome.
      9:50 PM
Chat Ended at 9:50

FWIW my tech had a hard time getting my car to start the homelink service. the configuration file showed that the homelink was installed (he showed me), tried restarting the car and eventually pushed the current firmware.

after the firmware arrived, homelink showed up. when i got home, i installed the firmware and restarted. has been working fine since.