Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink transmitting for too long?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm running into a problem where the Homelink garage door opening feature seems to be transmitting for too long which is making the roll door on my shop only start closing a foot or two before turning around an opening fully again. I have other cars with Homelink on the rear view mirror and they seem to work fine.

Even though I don't use or have the GPS-enabled door opening feature turned on, I'm wondering if the software was written in such a way that they made the Homelink unit transmit for an extra long time just because GPS inaccuracies may start the transmission when the car is too far away? Perhaps they left the transmit code the same even when triggering Homelink manually from the touchscreen?

Ironically, if I hit the Homelink button and drive away quickly it seems to work because it gets out of range quickly, but then I can't visually confirm that the door has been closed. Living in San Francisco this turns out to be a bad idea, so I'm stuck closing the door by other means for the moment.

I notice my garage door sometimes doesn't do anything when homelink is pressed. Wonder if it's the same issue where it transmits for too long....

Most openers I have experienced will start acting at the first successful decode of the RF transmission at the onset of your button press. So I would think that you would see some initial activity in the door if it is transmitting correctly, even if it goes on too long and creates other problems later. It could be like @evp is suggesting where the transmit power is too high and is overloading the receiver. Have you tried it from a greater distance?

I notice my garage door sometimes doesn't do anything when homelink is pressed. Wonder if it's the same issue where it transmits for too long....

I started seeing this yesterday evening. The small wireless transmit icon that would appear when I touch the homelink option either shows up for a blink and goes away or does not show up at all. And the door does not open or close.
This used to work well until yesterday say like 30 to 50 times since Eva came home.

I tried a screen reboot using the clicker buttons on the steering wheel. That did not fix it.

Attachments

• MX_Homelink.png
    MX_Homelink.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
Update: I just got my car back from the factory to fix some body issues and they also adjusted the Homelink transmit time for me from two seconds down to one second. This fixed the problem for me. I'm not sure if the SCs have access to these parameters or firmware, but it is nice to know that this can be fixed and they are willing to do it.

• Informative
Reactions: omega731