Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink when in Reverse doesn't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my Model 3 a few days ago and still learning it. I do have a newbie question - I drive in my garage; so when leaving and backing out, it seems the HomeLink button doesn't work. Tapping it, I don't see the 'transmit' signal. If I stop, and put it in park, then it will. Is this a bug or a feature? I want to be able to hit the button after I am out, but still backing out. We have a long driveway, and by the time I back out and turn, the garage door can close - rather than me waiting for it.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I am doing this every day and it works for me. Occasionally the signal does not get to the garage door opener receiver and I have to press twice but it works most of the time and the "transmit" signal is there too. Also, when I am in the garage and put in R the HomeLink list pops up so I have to just press the button.

I am doing this every day and it works for me. Occasionally the signal does not get to the garage door opener receiver and I have to press twice but it works most of the time and the "transmit" signal is there too. Also, when I am in the garage and put in R the HomeLink list pops up so I have to just press the button.

This is my experience as well. Not seeing what the OP is seeing. I'm on older firmware (18.14); maybe OP is on newer and something's changed?

Only thing I can think of is Tesla is trying to prevent Homelink from accidentally closing the garage door while the car is still backing out. That would be an auto-close issue and should not affect the driver manually trying to close the door.

I back-up into my garage and have a similar problem.. It seem like the car stop registering the car position as soon as I put the car in reverse.
If I go forward into my garage, everything works fine: auto open and auto close.
If I back into my garage, the car stay at "opening in x meter" the whole length of my driveway (75feets). When I leave driving forward, the car automatically cancel the auto close.

I back into the garage so the charge port lines up. When backing in Homelink often will not open the door but I think it’s because the location of the transmitter. I think it’s transmitting but it’s getting blocked.