TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HomeLink when in Reverse doesn't work

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bahree, Jul 12, 2018.

1. bahree

bahree Member

Got my Model 3 a few days ago and still learning it. I do have a newbie question - I drive in my garage; so when leaving and backing out, it seems the HomeLink button doesn't work. Tapping it, I don't see the 'transmit' signal. If I stop, and put it in park, then it will. Is this a bug or a feature? I want to be able to hit the button after I am out, but still backing out. We have a long driveway, and by the time I back out and turn, the garage door can close - rather than me waiting for it.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. rtanov

rtanov Member

I am doing this every day and it works for me. Occasionally the signal does not get to the garage door opener receiver and I have to press twice but it works most of the time and the "transmit" signal is there too. Also, when I am in the garage and put in R the HomeLink list pops up so I have to just press the button.

• Like x 1
  3. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

This is my experience as well. Not seeing what the OP is seeing. I'm on older firmware (18.14); maybe OP is on newer and something's changed?

Only thing I can think of is Tesla is trying to prevent Homelink from accidentally closing the garage door while the car is still backing out. That would be an auto-close issue and should not affect the driver manually trying to close the door.

4. trunks13

trunks13 Member

I just configured my homelink yesterday and did not have the same experience. Perhaps you need to reset the location? Does it work when you're driving up towards the garage?