Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Hong Kong] Dashcam Viewer Banned 2022.40 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see that the dashcam viewer has been removed in Hong Kong cars in 2022.40 . I assume this was ordered by Communists who now control Hong Kong. I'm trying to figure out the logic behind this.

Due to local regulations, the Dashcam Viewer has been removed.

Editor's note: This only affects Hong Kong.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
This is not new. They banned this on military bases and such already. They do not want recorded items leaving the bases or other "secret" locations.'

Is it all of Hong Kong or just select areas? You would figure they would just geofence it.

Yes, true but I would love to know the logic behind such a restriction

You are asking about "the logic" of a restriction of recording video, from a place that wants to keep things private? I mean, there are plenty of places in the US where you are not allowed to record video too, so I dont even understand the "question about the question", unless its to throw subtle shade.

You are asking about "the logic" of a restriction of recording video, from a place that wants to keep things private? I mean, there are plenty of places in the US where you are not allowed to record video too, so I dont even understand the "question about the question", unless its to throw subtle shade.

I guess I'm just uninformed. I wasn't aware of jurisdictions where every place within its borders is deemed 'private'.; even in a Communist country. Are Teslas prohibited in some places within the U.S.because of their cameras? Has anyone had any experiences of being stopped because their car was equipped with a dashcam?

Are they just preventing viewing the dash cam recording when parked or not allowing it to record at all? If it is just the viewing when the car is parked, then it will be the same reason that the toybox, arcades, etc ... removed 2 years ago, or maybe they are afraid of people using Tesla as a surveillance tool, but is the camera button still functional? One can still record using the phone from the screen. I know the traffic cop can give a ticket when driver does not turn off the ignition when the car is in P.

Last edited:
There's a stupid law in place where the MCU in the car (not limited to Tesla) are not allowed to display anything other than driving.

Therefore toybox, Youtube, Netflix are all banned (even though the features were intially only available while the car is in P)

Now since 2022.40.1, they realised viewing past dashcam footage is also within that restriction, so they are taking it out as well.

P.S. Dashcam still works, but you will have to view it somewhere else.

There's a stupid law in place where the MCU in the car (not limited to Tesla) are not allowed to display anything other than driving.
I guess the laws have to match the stupidity level of those who don't have common sense to prevent them from harming others. Unfortunately there are always small number of stupid actions that ruin majority people's life.