Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hong Kong Model S Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I had my Model S test drive about 2 months ago, the salesman told me that Wing Hang Bank offers the best interest rate at 2.5% or something like that, but I doubt that will be the case in 2014.

Any news on the HK pricing or expected delivery schedule?

We are almost in November 13 now, and I still haven't heard anything. Until then, I will stick to my prediction, as mentioned above. .65 to 1.05 M HKD. In any case, no matter what the price will be, I cannot pay any Tesla up front ... I need a good financing, mainly the down payment size will be relevant to me.

- - - Updated - - -

This news from Apple News gave $750k - $1m.

http://hk.dv.nextmedia.com/actionnews/finance/20130812/18375054/20021009

Any truth in this?

See earlier in this thread:
Hong Kong Model S Pricing

Those are my estimates, based on what has been 'promised' (http://www.teslamotors.com/en_HK/blog/model-s-european-pricing):

It should be US price (without incentives) x reasonable exchange rate + transport + minor business expenses. No VAT. No import tax.

I can't see the figure of 'one million' quoted in the SCMP article (Tesla Model S comes to town | South China Morning Post), only:

The Tattler article (Test Drive: Tesla Model S | Motoring | HongKongTatler.com ) mentions the HK$600,000 figure again:

... but, newspapers get things wrong.

It is still wait and see...

Last edited:
Another worry I have about the car for Hong Kong is its sheer size. This is a big car, and our car parks and parking spaces are relatively small.

Same concern for the Model X with its falcon doors - car parks here have 1.8m ceilings.

Is the size of the car an issue for other Hong Kong buyers?

Can't imagine Model S easily navigating through many streets in HK due to it's size. I think the Model X uses the same platform. Maybe the Model E would work well if much smaller. Love HK and the Model S, just not together!

There was talk about some kind of discount for those who ordered before 31/12-2012 - has anyone heard what this would amount to?

I couldn't really find anything but the following, from December 21st, 2012:

The Countdown Is On To Our First Model S Price Increase

There are 11 days left to place your reservation for the award winning Model S at current prices. Many of you have probably heard about our recent price increase that will go into effect on January 1, 2013. This price increase will not apply to anyone who has or makes a reservation by end of day on December 31, 2012... as long as they finalize their order within four weeks after receiving their "Invitation to Configure" when the time comes to build their Model S.

If Model S has been on your mind for a while, or is on someone's secret wish list this holiday season, now just might be the time to treat yourself or that someone special to a little savings and a lot of joy.

Ooopsie, in my search, I also found the following from November 12th, 2012:

We are guaranteeing a delivery prior to March 31, 2014 for Signature cars in HK - which qualifies the car for first registration tax-free status. By the time we are delivering in HK, our factory will be building 400 cars per week. Right now a significant amount of the uncertainty over delivery dates is because we are at the steepest part of the production ramp. Once we plateau at our 400 car/wk run rate, dates will become easier to estimate.

The pricing is not set yet, but figure around $600k-$1mm HKD depending on features. I bought a Signature Performance for my wife in the US and I paid over $110,000 USD. I didn't get every option. In the US cars start at $57400. The range is similar where we have announced pricing in other countries.

Hope this makes sense. It may not be exactly what you want to hear, but they are the facts.

Thanks

Didn't really go that way, although I am sure it was with the best of intentions (Removed the name in the email)

Later the same day, another email corrected it to

For Signature and a Roadster owner, very very good. For Signature, non-Roadster, very good. For General Production, OK.

For delivery before April 1, 2014.

Thanks,

March 20th, 2013, different TM employee:

Thank you for your mail.
We really hope the HK Government will extend the FRT exemption as well!

At this point, though, we cannot promise cars will be delivered prior to April 1, but we will do our best!
In the latter half of this year, sometime around summer we will be announcing pricing and options for HK.
I don’t believe there will be insurance available through Tesla, but we may have financing options. Again, for early customers like you, this may not be ready in the time we start delivery, but in the long run, we hope to have these options available for our customers.

If you upgraded to a Model S Signature, we will try to put you in a similar spot as if you made the reservation in December 2012. However, this depends on how many cancellations we have had.. and to be honest, we had very few cancellations in Hong Kong so far.

Hope that helps!

Best regards,

So I can find nothing else about any discount.

Maybe we'll just leave it at that, as the price is probably fair as it is. Final quote here:

February 11th, 2014:

To treat our customers in Hong Kong as fairly as possible, we’re offering Model S at the same retail price as customers in the US pay, adding only unavoidable transportation costs, and applying the current market exchange rate. You will not only be driving the most advanced vehicle on the road, but you can also be confident that you have paid the lowest possible price.

There was talk about some kind of discount for those who ordered before 31/12-2012 - has anyone heard what this would amount to?

I couldn't really find anything but the following, from December 21st, 2012:

Ooopsie, in my search, I also found the following from November 12th, 2012:

Didn't really go that way, although I am sure it was with the best of intentions (Removed the name in the email)

Later the same day, another email corrected it to

March 20th, 2013, different TM employee:

So I can find nothing else about any discount.

Maybe we'll just leave it at that, as the price is probably fair as it is. Final quote here:

February 11th, 2014:
I asked about this for Australia. We, of course still do not have our pricing. I was verbally told by Stone that pre 2013 reservation holders should still be exempt from that price rise. I Intend to ask for it and so should you in HK!!

Received the email about price increase on Dec 1 2012

December 1, 2012Model S Reservation Holders,

We have announced a price increase for the Model S yesterday in the US.

This is our first price increase since the announcement of Model S and it is very important that we implement this in a way that recognizes people like you, who already have a Model S reservation with us. For anyone who has or makes a reservation by end of day on December 31, we will be deducting an estimated 17,000HKD* from the final price of your Model S. In other words, you will not be affected by the price increase as long as you finalize your order within a reasonable, predefined timeframe.

Received the email about price increase on Dec 1 2012

December 1, 2012Model S Reservation Holders,

We have announced a price increase for the Model S yesterday in the US.

This is our first price increase since the announcement of Model S and it is very important that we implement this in a way that recognizes people like you, who already have a Model S reservation with us. For anyone who has or makes a reservation by end of day on December 31, we will be deducting an estimated 17,000HKD* from the final price of your Model S. In other words, you will not be affected by the price increase as long as you finalize your order within a reasonable, predefined timeframe.

The issue here is that this price rise, was before any price was announced for HK (and as for user Dborn, Australia as well, obviously).

We shall see, in any case, 17,000 is like the price of the pano roof, thank you Tesla :)

The issue here is that this price rise, was before any price was announced for HK (and as for user Dborn, Australia as well, obviously).

Well, the HK announced price either includes this discount (which means that those who ordered after end 2012 have to pay HK$17k extra - not announced), or it doesn't (which means Tesla pays for your and my Pano roof). I'm trusting on the latter ;-)