Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hoping for Fremont delivery of Model 3. Will it be an option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All! Since I reserved mine on the night of the reveal, and I live in California, I'm hoping to be among the first non-current-owners to get a Model 3. When I get the magic email, I was hoping I could arrange for a pickup at the Fremont plant. My plan was to fly up to the Oakland airport, stay in a hotel close to the plant, and pick up the car for a "tour" of the Bay Area, before driving home. In full disclosure, I grew up in Silicon Valley and have a lot of friends and family up there. However, there are still a lot of areas I haven't seen or spent a lot of time in. If it's available, I'd love to take a factory tour as well.

My question for the collective wisdom of TMC is...Will this even be a feasible option? I'm sure once the production volume of the Model 3 gets up into the hundreds of thousands, they will encourage delivery close to the owners' home. I'm hoping I will be in the early enough stage where this wish could be accommodated. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: cdub
Until we hear otherwise, there's no reason to not think that factory pickups will not continue to be an option. NUMMI is a HUGE place and there's plenty of room for Tesla to deliver more cars from there. They may choose not to if they feel it will be too disruptive or chaotic, but as a Bay Area resident I very much hope to have the option to go pick up my car at the factory rather than wait another day for it to be trucked across the Bay to a service center closer to my home.

I would do it too, It seems like a lot less headache (and cost) for them to let somebody pick it up.

If it's super popular to pick it up, that might push your car further back then even having them deliver it, so people would have to make a choice.

-smak-

There is no reason they won't let you pick it up there. However, given the increased volume and continued model S and X deliveries there may only be a certain number of pickups available for each week so you may need to schedule your pick up weeks in advance.

Actually, you're right. SJC is a lot closer to the plant than Oakland. I just assumed B/C Fremont is Alameda County (and so is Oakland) it would be closer. But SJC to the plant is about half the distance than from OAK.

Just looking it up, looks like they are opening the extension of BART that is right next to the factory next week, so it probably doesn't matter which airport you fly into.

If CA changes their stupid law about car tourism, a lot of people from around the country would probably do this. It would save money (and the environment) transporting the cars around the country for delivery and it would ease the burden of delivery on the service centers and the potential pop-up delivery centers. Speaking for myself, I would do this and drive cross-country to bring it home. What an awesome experience that would be.

If CA changes their stupid law about car tourism, a lot of people from around the country would probably do this. It would save money (and the environment) transporting the cars around the country for delivery and it would ease the burden of delivery on the service centers and the potential pop-up delivery centers. Speaking for myself, I would do this and drive cross-country to bring it home. What an awesome experience that would be.

Yeah I really hope there is some legislation proposed this year again...the last bill died regarding this last year.

Now that would be an interesting first trip in your car.... I would almost think of it, even back to here (east coast) if it weren't for the tax idiocy. My GF is from California and always wants to go back for a bit, so that would be perfect... But waiting for the laws to be updated might be a good race between that and the Model 3 deliveries.... (j/k...).

Reactions: igotzzoom
At some point in the ramp it may be faster to simply to pick up the car in Orange County than Fremont. They can't have thousands of cars parked and piling up, they'll have to get them on carriers and shipped out as they pass QA. They need to spread out prep, paperwork and delivery to the sales centers. You don't want Fremont to be a bottleneck.

At some point in the ramp it may be faster to simply to pick up the car in Orange County than Fremont. They can't have thousands of cars parked and piling up, they'll have to get them on carriers and shipped out as they pass QA. They need to spread out prep, paperwork and delivery to the sales centers. You don't want Fremont to be a bottleneck.

Perhaps. Just thought it could be a fun and memorable trip.