Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hoping we get robust pedestrian detection soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Nearly hit these two idiots last night:

This is on a dark rural road where you would not expect pedestrians. Glare from the oncoming cars was distracting and I did not see the fellow in my lane (wearing a black shirt no less ) until they entered my headlights. Looking at my repeater video my side mirror missed them by too close of a margin. Ugh. (Also found out my repeater cams are having weird video corruption issues)

As far as I can tell, my car did not react to the pedestrians at all. No warnings, etc. Considering I was traveling at highway speeds I am not surprised and would not expect that today.

Hopefully we do start seeing some additional safety features such as wildlife/crazy pedestrian detection in future releases.

I find it odd that it didn't detect it.

I can understand failing to detect wildlife as the neural network hasn't been trained on it. But, the neural network has been trained extensively on pedestrian detection. There are lots of videos demonstrating pedestrian detection, and slowing down for them.

I wonder if the bike in-between them interfered with the detection. Or maybe it was yet another case of failing to react to things on the edge of the road.

• Funny
Reactions: Seattle Tom
I find it odd that it didn't detect it.

I can understand failing to detect wildlife as the neural network hasn't been trained on it. But, the neural network has been trained extensively on pedestrian detection. There are lots of videos demonstrating pedestrian detection, and slowing down for them.

I wonder if the bike in-between them interfered with the detection. Or maybe it was yet another case of failing to react to things on the edge of the road.

I figured whatever pedestrian detection they have built in so far has been for lower (city) speeds. I was going about 55mph when this happened.

My AP2.0 car was pretty terrible about seeing pedestrians, I’ve been very impressed with my new MX LR’s abilities though. Mind you, I’ve only come across pedestrians in the day at crosswalks, but it tracks them all the way around the car, in ways my AP2 car couldn’t do. Not sure what the difference is exactly. Hopefully, like you said, eventually it will get to the point of saving the idiots in the world too.:)

• Informative
Reactions: croman and Az_Rael
I figured whatever pedestrian detection they have built in so far has been for lower (city) speeds. I was going about 55mph when this happened.

That's quite possible, but in terms of where I want a warning its in cases very similar to yours.

You're going down a single lane or two lane road that has a speed limit of around 45mph or 50mph and suddenly some idiot is walking their bikes on the road off to one side of it. Or they're walking across the road in complete darkness.

Reactions: APotatoGod
My AP2.0 car was pretty terrible about seeing pedestrians, I’ve been very impressed with my new MX LR’s abilities though. Mind you, I’ve only come across pedestrians in the day at crosswalks, but it tracks them all the way around the car, in ways my AP2 car couldn’t do. Not sure what the difference is exactly.

Color cameras, I'd imagine. Trying to do self-driving with monochrome cameras is absurd, IMO. :)

Nearly hit these two idiots last night:

This is on a dark rural road where you would not expect pedestrians. Glare from the oncoming cars was distracting and I did not see the fellow in my lane (wearing a black shirt no less ) until they entered my headlights. Looking at my repeater video my side mirror missed them by too close of a margin. Ugh. (Also found out my repeater cams are having weird video corruption issues)

As far as I can tell, my car did not react to the pedestrians at all. No warnings, etc. Considering I was traveling at highway speeds I am not surprised and would not expect that today.

Hopefully we do start seeing some additional safety features such as wildlife/crazy pedestrian detection in future releases.
AND, they're walking on the wrong side of the road! Were you driving or in self drive mode? Because, if it was all you, great reflex!

I think before we ask for detection devices pedestrians should study up on negotiating roadways at night.
You always walk toward the oncoming traffic never in the direction of traffic you can’t monitor, you are asking to be hit by a truck side mirror.
I’m appalled at the lack of concern by cyclists and pedestrians who seem to think their safety isn’t their responsibility and carelessly step into the path of vehicles.

Reactions: RKBA
If that would have been on a curve , they would have been dead. Nice evasive steering move. I had a head on I dodged once late at night , it happened so fast, I think they were passing and came in my lane. I jerked the wheel and went off the road. Luckily the shoulder was wide. Got my knees to shakin.

Last edited:
If that would have been on a curve , they would have been dead. Nice evasive steering move. I had a head on I dodged once late at night , it happened so fast, I think they were passing and came in my lane. I jerked the wheel and went off the road. Luckily the shoulder was wide. Got my knees to shakin.

Yeah, I had one I didn’t fully dodge a couple years ago. You can see the dash cam in the link in my sig. my S did its job tho, and I came out with only minor injuries.