Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B pillar camera glass is getting condensation
This is a big issue. And Tesla have no answer. Condensation happens. It comes and goes during normal diving. It messes up AP and causes unpredictable behaviour. Other than the ambiguous non-specic messages that something is wrong, you have no idea if there is condensation so you can't know what action to take!

I'm still on last radar enabled version of software. Tesla trying to force me to upgrade to provide wty services. At least with old software I know roughly what to expect!

Tesla Service centre told me that an upcoming software update could re-enable radar. Of course my Grandma knows more about it than they do, but you never know. Clearly basing vision only or even highly vision dependent operation on such lame vision is crazy.

I was under the impression that the forward facing cameras at least were hermetically sealed but I now have had some condensation in there too. At least there is a heater for forward cams so a lot less common.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Impatient
It always seems to happen when passing a small vehicle. Tonight I was on the M5 in lane 3 overtaking a little Ford Ka and it slams on the brakes for about a second. Thankfully, no one behind me.

I'm going to log it as a service request.
Yesterday - twice. Both - Range Rover evogues, driven by...

I think car is breaking as it is afraid to catch fire...

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
You’re in the US. Your Autopilot is completely different to the crap we have here in the UK…

This isn't software versions. Next time you get a warning from your camera that it's "covered or blinded" save the footage and play it back. Or watch any of the RSEV videos where they expose Tesla's camera-based park distance setup for the embarrassing garbage that it is.

If you can't measure distances to stationery objects at slow speed, good luck doing that on the Sun in the Sands interchange during rush hour.

Don’t bother raising a service request to let Tesla know of these braking problems. They are just saying that Autopilot is always developing and changing and will have future updates. They have said we need to contact Tesla and not the service team.

Reactions: EatsShoots
Don’t bother raising a service request to let Tesla know of these braking problems. They are just saying that Autopilot is always developing and changing and will have future updates. They have said we need to contact Tesla and not the service team.
I stuck my head into the Leeds service centre to ask about this. They definitely want it raised as a service request, because they are tracked by Big Tesla.

The main service people on the app don’t though they cancel your request for an appointment and close the job.
I think that applies to most camera related issues. I had to fight like crazy to get a service request to stick. They just got cancelled, often without further contact from Tesla.

Both Nottingham and Sheffield centres say they want full details and to pursue the matter higher up, but I really have seen no evidence that a thing gets progressed. If anything they just need to hone their excuses so they get better at defending their position and luck of progress.

You’re in the US. Your Autopilot is completely different to the crap we have here in the UK…
Not to worry, it’s crap here too.

Here’s my car misidentifying target vehicles and either hitting the brakes or refusing to pass.

IMG_5743.jpeg
IMG_5742.jpeg

Not to worry, it’s crap here too.

Here’s my car misidentifying target vehicles and either hitting the brakes or refusing to pass.
Aha! So drivers outside the UK are experiencing these bugs and just not reporting them on TMC. I'll stay on 2023.26.

Tesla could make faster progress if they tested code in many miles of simulations like Waymo does. (Easier said than done.)

I think they do use simulation for autopilot training, and presumably testing. It was mentioned in one of the AI days or something - there’s videos about it.

I doubt Tesla are missing some procedural step. I think time has shown that Autopilot is just very difficult for them to achieve reliably.

Back in the early days (old man impression!) when Autopilot only monitored your lane (2018, 2019?) it was pretty solid IIRC. It was the change to monitoring vehicles in other lanes that seemed to coincide with more phantom braking.

While I *hate* phantom braking, I guess the autopilot control algorithm “thinks” braking is preferable to colliding with a vehicle it thinks is cutting into your lane. Notwithstanding the poor soul in the vehicle behind…

I’ve been worried for a while that the persistence of phantom braking for so long - especially if it still occurs in the USA with FSD beta - then it’s a problem Tesla don’t (yet) know how to solve. I hope I’m wrong.

The last time I raised a service request about phantom braking (December last year) they requested the dashcam footage when chatting on the app but having gone to the trouble of collecting all of that and getting it on a USB stick for them, they were not interested at all when I went to drop off the car at the service centre and the guy there was puzzled at why I was asked for it in the first place.