Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horn placement and headlights on 2022 MS LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone with a 22 MS confirm if the horn has been moved to the center of the steering wheel?

I bought a 2021 and ended up selling it after a close call with not being able to find the horn button quickly and am considering buying another one, if that’s been fixed. I also didn’t like the front headlights, they were very poor at night, so I’m also wondering if anyone with a 22 can confirm how good they are at night. My wife’s 2022 MYP has much better headlights than my refresh MS did.

Thank you for your input!

Can anyone with a 22 MS confirm if the horn has been moved to the center of the steering wheel?

I bought a 2021 and ended up selling it after a close call with not being able to find the horn button quickly and am considering buying another one, if that’s been fixed. I also didn’t like the front headlights, they were very poor at night, so I’m also wondering if anyone with a 22 can confirm how good they are at night. My wife’s 2022 MYP has much better headlights than my refresh MS did.

Horn has not been moved. It’s still just the stupid button on the yoke.

The matrix headlights are certainly better at night. They are not as good as the MY IMO. But the question you should be asking is; are they $25,000 better? Because that’s how much more the vehicle is going to cost you now vs your 2021.

Yes, I’m aware of the price difference. I really only sold the car because I was going to buy another house but it fell through, so I’m trying to just get it back. I’m trying to make myself feel better by remembering the things I didn’t like about the 2021 model in case I want to bite the bullet again! 🤔

Any news on this topic ? Do the latest cars now have the center horn function ?

New headlights are far better with a more even beam pattern and sharper cutoff. The high beams compared to the old lights are night and day. They no longer have any sort of cornering function though.

The airbag pad noticeably depresses like a traditional horn now. It still doesn't serve any function but it seems like a possibility it will come.

Reactions: zoomer0056
New headlights are far better with a more even beam pattern and sharper cutoff. The high beams compared to the old lights are night and day. They no longer have any sort of cornering function though.

The airbag pad noticeably depresses like a traditional horn now. It still doesn't serve any function but it seems like a possibility it will come.
Anyone with a video of this noticeable depress? My June, 2022 certainly doesn’t.

Anyone with a video of this noticeable depress? My June, 2022 certainly doesn’t.
This is a July 2022 build btw, my June 2022 X Plaid did not have any movement when trying to depress the pad.

No it doesn’t. A very easy way to confirm is to pop out the airbag module. It takes about 5 seconds.
Thank you for letting me know that I am incorrect about what I see and feel in my own car right in front of me.

I have had a total of 4 other yoke equipped MS/MX that all had airbag covers as stiff as a rock with zero movement so I am slightly more qualified than most to say that this one feels different. Nor am I the only one to have noticed this.

So just had my yoke replaced for the second time. Previous revision was E, New one is G. The exciting part is that there is definitely a difference in feel of the airbag. The airbag for the revision E yoke felt absolutely solid in it's mounting. The airbag on the revision G yoke feels like its spring loaded with a 1/16-1/8" of travel. Feels very much like a button. Has no one noticed this?

I just had mine replaced. Yes. Does feel more like a button.

I just saw something about the horn button being different. They let me keep the old yoke so I'll compare now too. I can't believe though how much wear the yoke gets. Mobile service guy says he replaces a ton of them.

YOKE STEERING
WHEEL ASSEMBLY
PUR.(1622612-00-G)

Mine replaced (and airbag module). Definitely feel the slight movement.

Can some show how the horn button has changed? Do not remember my other two yokes and if different than this one.

ETA: Found a pic and yes, this yoke has the horn facing to the left. First two yoke to the right. It will be interesting to see that if my May/June 2021 build will have the capability. Will my car signal for the same software update need to activate since it was original built prior to November, 2021?

Last edited:
Reactions: jbrowdy and Dayreg
This is a July 2022 build btw, my June 2022 X Plaid did not have any movement when trying to depress the pad.

Thank you for letting me know that I am incorrect about what I see and feel in my own car right in front of me.

I have had a total of 4 other yoke equipped MS/MX that all had airbag covers as stiff as a rock with zero movement so I am slightly more qualified than most to say that this one feels different. Nor am I the only one to have noticed this.
Hmm. Are you sure your airbag is installed fully? Can you pull on it? I had something similar to this when the techs hadn’t pushed hard enough to lock it in place after the recall on the 2021s.

Hmm. Are you sure your airbag is installed fully? Can you pull on it? I had something similar to this when the techs hadn’t pushed hard enough to lock it in place after the recall on the 2021s.
I remember that thread too of the guy whose airbag fell into his lap! Pulling on it hard was the first thing I did when I noticed it had some give. It doesn't come out. I even had a tech pop the airbag out and reseat it the week after I picked up the car just in case and he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne and Dayreg
I remember that thread too of the guy whose airbag fell into his lap! Pulling on it hard was the first thing I did when I noticed it had some give. It doesn't come out. I even had a tech pop the airbag out and reseat it the week after I picked up the car just in case and he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
Yep that was me. :eek:

Well, it's odd that some have more slack than others. I'm willing to bet it's tolerances since most are not the way yours is.

Yep that was me. :eek:

Well, it's odd that some have more slack than others. I'm willing to bet it's tolerances since most are not the way yours is.
Knowing Tesla I don't doubt it could just be a variance in manufacturing or something is just broken. All I know is from comparing it to the 4 other S/X I've had, this is the newest build I've owned and is the only one with any give at all. The older ones have all been rock solid and seeing that others have noticed the same movement after getting new yokes is the only reason I say it is a possibility. Not something I am banking on at all but for the other guy to say so definitively that it doesn't depress in my car is just weird.

Knowing Tesla I don't doubt it could just be a variance in manufacturing or something is just broken. All I know is from comparing it to the 4 other S/X I've had, this is the newest build I've owned and is the only one with any give at all. The older ones have all been rock solid and seeing that others have noticed the same movement after getting new yokes is the only reason I say it is a possibility. Not something I am banking on at all but for the other guy to say so definitively that it doesn't depress in my car is just weird.
Yeah, who knows. Let's revisit this in a year. If nothing has changed, I'm dubious, hah!

Yeah, who knows. Let's revisit this in a year. If nothing has changed, I'm dubious, hah!
For what it's worth I popped by the local Tesla store this morning and sat in a freshly unwrapped 2023 Model X - its airbag cover has the same movement as mine. Again, not saying it is definitively anything, other than it being different from the earlier cars I have had.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS