Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horn placement and headlights on 2022 MS LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a July 2022 build btw, my June 2022 X Plaid did not have any movement when trying to depress the pad.

Thank you for letting me know that I am incorrect about what I see and feel in my own car right in front of me.

I have had a total of 4 other yoke equipped MS/MX that all had airbag covers as stiff as a rock with zero movement so I am slightly more qualified than most to say that this one feels different. Nor am I the only one to have noticed this.
Pop the module off. You can very clearly see if there is a mechanical horn mechanism (there isn’t).

And per Elon, the center horn was installed on all builds from 11/21 on (it isn’t).

Pop the module off. You can very clearly see if there is a mechanical horn mechanism (there isn’t).

And per Elon, the center horn was installed on all builds from 11/21 on (it isn’t).
Not really interested in dragging out this argument, all I said is that mine depresses while it didn't on the 4 older ones I've had. It clearly does as does many others' new builds.

I’m not glossing over it. Not a single person has pulled the airbag module off to see if there is a mechanical horn present.

It takes less than 60 seconds to check, but no one will do it. Wonder why?
Really, you can't imagine why regular people don't want to mess around with popping out their airbag assembly?

I just said mine depresses, you responded with absolute certainty that it doesn't, like you somehow know better than me what is right in front of me. Then when shown evidence that it does (on more than one car mind you), the argument suddenly becomes it's broken, thanks for nothing. That's glossing over it...

Really, you can't imagine why regular people don't want to mess around with popping out their airbag assembly?

I just said mine depresses, you responded with absolute certainty that it doesn't, like you somehow know better than me what is right in front of me. Then when shown evidence that it does (on more than one car mind you), the argument suddenly becomes it's broken, thanks for nothing. That's glossing over it...
I was not suggesting it doesn’t depress. I am stating, as a fact, that there is no horn module behind it. Prove me wrong.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: Ratch and yamanote
The only claim I've made is that newer production vehicles have airbags that noticeably depress like a button. What's false there? How about admitting that you didn't even know about this change?

Man, what a fragile ego you must have to be unable to admit you misinterpreted what I said - although I feel like you didn't and you're deliberately choosing to be obtuse just to argue like most of your posts.
Alright, let's stop this, - it's not going anywhere, and to me it's clear there was some confusion here. Nobody doubts there's movement on your yoke (and some others). The question is whether there should be, which remains to be seen.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ratch
Alright, let's stop this, - it's not going anywhere, and to me it's clear there was some confusion here. Nobody doubts there's movement on your yoke (and some others). The question is whether there should be, which remains to be seen.
Just seems a little too coincidental for it to be a defect in all of these recently manufactured cars, but it is Tesla so who knows. I was merely sharing what I'd noticed since I'm in a unique position to be able to point out what's changed between all the ones I've had. I'll leave it at that, didn't realize the thread was 6 months old anyway so op has gotten his answer by now

• Disagree
Reactions: Ratch and glide
Just seems a little too coincidental for it to be a defect in all of these recently manufactured cars, but it is Tesla so who knows. I was merely sharing what I'd noticed since I'm in a unique position to be able to point out what's changed between all the ones I've had. I'll leave it at that, didn't realize the thread was 6 months old anyway so op has gotten his answer by now
Yeah it's still interesting, and thank you for posting about it. Be nice if we could get that update for the center horn to work. I imagine Tesla is caught between a rock and hard place. Enabling the feature for some users but not others would cause a Tesla-owners meltdown. That is... if it's even possible to be enabled.

Reactions: yamanote
Yeah it's still interesting, and thank you for posting about it. Be nice if we could get that update for the center horn to work. I imagine Tesla is caught between a rock and hard place. Enabling the feature for some users but not others would cause a Tesla-owners meltdown. That is... if it's even possible to be enabled.
If their handling of the tilt screen and Steam fiasco is anything to go by, I can't imagine they care about pissing some owners off 🤣 There must be some sort of technical reason if there's even any hardware present. Maybe it's a force touch button like the shifter somewhere in there, but it's too sensitive or not sensitive enough. It's fun to guess though, and now with them backtracking on the yoke, the possibilities are infinite...

Reactions: aerodyne
How 'bout them headlights?
I actually think the 2016-2021 reflector LED headlights got a bad rap because of how poorly aimed they all were from the factory, and they were only manually adjustable so not many people bothered (or knew how) to. Once they're aimed properly, the low beams are passable albeit with a fair bit of hot spotting, while the high beams sucked no matter what. I think my 2021 reflector lights were superior to the 2017, but I know they were just a different revision of the same part, so I could be imagining it.

The new projector LEDs obviously have a far more even beam and a sharp cutoff which was never possible with the reflectors. They're also height-adjustable from the touchscreen so it's easier to get them aimed properly with a bit of flat ground and tape.

I miss the cornering lights. Even though they were the worst implementation of adaptive functionality I've ever seen on any car, it was good to have the extra illumination around corners. The wider beam of the projectors helps but not quite enough. I know there was a discussion about the ECE stamping on the headlight housings indicating AFS functionality is present so maybe the hardware is there and it just needs an update (oh boy, not this again!)

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
I actually think the 2016-2021 reflector LED headlights got a bad rap because of how poorly aimed they all were from the factory, and they were only manually adjustable so not many people bothered (or knew how) to. Once they're aimed properly, the low beams are passable albeit with a fair bit of hot spotting, while the high beams sucked no matter what. I think my 2021 reflector lights were superior to the 2017, but I know they were just a different revision of the same part, so I could be imagining it.

The new projector LEDs obviously have a far more even beam and a sharp cutoff which was never possible with the reflectors. They're also height-adjustable from the touchscreen so it's easier to get them aimed properly with a bit of flat ground and tape.

I miss the cornering lights. Even though they were the worst implementation of adaptive functionality I've ever seen on any car, it was good to have the extra illumination around corners. The wider beam of the projectors helps but not quite enough. I know there was a discussion about the ECE stamping on the headlight housings indicating AFS functionality is present so maybe the hardware is there and it just needs an update (oh boy, not this again!)
I agree about the cornering lights. Being (un)fortunate enough to have had a ‘21 S, and now a ‘22 with the updated lights, the difference is stark. The cutoff is kind of amazing. But I do think cornering LEDs would have been nice to still have, despite the inherently wider beams the matrix setup employs.

But but but… look at that cutoff. 😍

1673117024459.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: VikH and yamanote
I agree about the cornering lights. Being (un)fortunate enough to have had a ‘21 S, and now a ‘22 with the updated lights, the difference is stark. The cutoff is kind of amazing. But I do think cornering LEDs would have been nice to still have, despite the inherently wider beams the matrix setup employs.

But but but… look at that cutoff. 😍
Nice of Tesla to trickle down up the good beams that Model 3 owners have been enjoying for the past 2 years, eh?

I could go on and on about the new rear lights too. Amber turn signals, seamless third brake light, rear fogs... 🥰

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
Nice of Tesla to trickle down up the good beams that Model 3 owners have been enjoying for the past 2 years, eh?

I could go on and on about the new rear lights too. Amber turn signals, seamless third brake light, rear fogs... 🥰
Yup. I went on and on about the upgrade when I got to experience it. Was wild going from my comparatively cheap 2019 Model 3 to an expensive 2021 Model S and experiencing such crap headlights. The 2022 was a breath of fresh air.

I am on my third yoke. The first two were same. The third one is different. The horn button opens to the left (other two to right). Airbag definitely has give where other two were solid. Tech said mine was updated with the functioning horn when the software is ready.

With that said, I have perfect control over the horn with the button and do not care if I will ever have the center activated. And, I am definitely not pulling my airbag off, regardless of how innocuous some might feel, just so I can settle someone's sword fighting contest.

So, I guess I am really adding nothing to this thread.

I am on my third yoke. The first two were same. The third one is different. The horn button opens to the left (other two to right). Airbag definitely has give where other two were solid. Tech said mine was updated with the functioning horn when the software is ready.

With that said, I have perfect control over the horn with the button and do not care if I will ever have the center activated. And, I am definitely not pulling my airbag off, regardless of how innocuous some might feel, just so I can settle someone's sword fighting contest.

So, I guess I am really adding nothing to this thread.
Perfect control? Do you have the same horn reaction time as someone with a traditional horn?

• Disagree
Reactions: Ratch