Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horrible experience with my flat tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never once had an issue speaking with someone at my local service center. You may ultimately still need to schedule and request things through the app, but someone from the service center has always been available to answer questions, check inventory, etc. Have you guys not been able to call them directly?
Phone calls always go to voice mail.

Yep.. I keep a cord type patch kit in the car.. with a spare "needle" :D. I also have an 12 volt inflator AND a 12 volt battery that can supply 300 watts just for crap like this. If the tire shreds itself, I have bigger issues. The kit has a few cords, a couple valve cores and some goop to seal the plugs. 20 bucks. Some of the roads I'm on during road trips are not user friendly for road service. Hell, some of the neighborhood that the nav system routes me through are not service friendly. I would buy a modern spare but 400 bucks and weeks delivery. I saw some posts about using a different brand of car's space saver.. I may spring for that just because I'm curious if I could get it to work. But then you have to be able to jack up the care and that has proven to be a challenge with alot the scissor jacks I've tried.. they are too fat when the car has lost a few inches due to the tire being flat. Then you need to be able to break loose the lug nuts at 120lbs.. always.. not insurmountable issue but a challenge.

Then there is always this:

I'm considering buying one and I think it would fit behind the driver's seat as I', 5'9" and there is a ton of space behind the driver's seat. But safely securing it in a Y can be problematic. So I soldier on with an air compressor, plug kit, and both Tesla and AAA roadside assistance. We are 70 and I'm a disabled vet so any flat tire can be a major issue.

Reactions: SteelClouds
I pinched a chunk of concrete between my tire and the curb while parking in Kimball, NE. The sidewall of the tire was ripped open, so the tire would obviously need to be replaced. The situation was complicated by the fact I was towing a pop-up trailer.
Tesla Roadside Assistance was only able to offer to tow the car to the nearest SC, which was 140 miles away. No loaner tires in Nebraska!
I would have to pay most of the cost of the tow and would have to get myself to the SC and drive the car 140 miles back to pick up the stranded trailer!

The slow part of going with any local tire shop is the 2-3 days it takes to get a replacement tire.

Fortunately a local tire shop was willing to help and quickly found me a used tire that would work to get me going again. After getting home I had the SC mount a new tire, but I kept the old tire and now carry just the tire with me when on long trips. Not mounted on a wheel makes it much lighter to haul and any tire shop can mount it if needed. I bought a Tesla tire cover from their online store. It makes it easy to throw the tire in the back when going out of town and also keeps things clean with the tire being wrapped up.

Reactions: house9 and Watts_Up
I have never once had an issue speaking with someone at my local service center. You may ultimately still need to schedule and request things through the app, but someone from the service center has always been available to answer questions, check inventory, etc. Have you guys not been able to call them directly?
That’s a big ole H E double hockey sticks no; you’ve got a better chance of getting Elon to respond to you on twitter than to get someone at a local SC on the phone.

Thinking about getting the modern spare kit, does it fit in the front trunk or no?

Phone calls always go to voice mail.
That’s a big ole H E double hockey sticks no; you’ve got a better chance of getting Elon to respond to you on twitter than to get someone at a local SC on the phone.

Thinking about getting the modern spare kit, does it fit in the front trunk or no?
It's unfortunate and disappointing how different experiences can be from state to state. My service center is the only location in central Florida, the next nearest one being 2-3 hours away, and they still are able to take calls.

Thanks; like a previous poster said I’d be interested in a conversion kit for the front trunk I can’t remember the last time I stored anything up there.
I think you made reference to this thread:

• Informative
Reactions: house9
I'll have to look around for a collapsible spare wonder if they make them anymore? I had one in my 280Z that was fantastic a little delay in pumping it up but it fit great. I bet one of those would fit in the frunk as is.

hmm what do you know they do have current ones. Wonder if they fit?

OliverM3: I've phoned Vredestein regarding their Space Master collapsible spare. No applications for Tesla. I've spent plenty of time online, searching for an older/used one, but the risk there is age. There's also the wheel fitment issue, probably would need an adapter of some kind.

The risk of placing the tire in the frunk area (liner removed) is obvious: it has to clear the AC compressor, so it would require a bracket of some sort. The greater risk is a frontal collision, and the unknown havoc a spare would wreak on the car. I quickly decided the risks are too great.

I have the Modern Spare. I can lay it down in the deepest rear well, lying on the "crossbeam" between the wheels. It sticks up, of course. I've considered cutting out the flooring to accomodate, and just living with the tire bulging up, but...not a compromise I'm willing to make. The other option is keeping it strapped vertically, behind the rear bumper, but I'm not sure the hatch would close.

Several different discussions at once here. Those that say, "plug/patch/compressor." and those of us that live on the edge of civilization that would be royally screwed by a blowout. Of course, the additional compromise of the Modern Spare is distance. It'll get you to civilization (such as it exists in places like West Texas, AZ, NM!!!), but then the inconvenience of waiting for a replacement tire causes a 2-3-4 day delay.

A full-size spare/wheel is the best solution, but damn, it takes up a lot of space. (Unless I put it on the hood, under the longhorns!)

AAA may not be able to guarantee a flat bed tow. If the Tesla vehicle must be towed then a flat bed should be used.
They won't improperly tow your car, if that's what you are worried about... If they don't send a flatbed, they'll send a regular tow truck, and will put your rear wheels on dollies, and lift the front. They will not tow your car with any of the wheels on the ground.

Yep.. I keep a cord type patch kit in the car.. with a spare "needle" :D. I also have an 12 volt inflator AND a 12 volt battery that can supply 300 watts just for crap like this. If the tire shreds itself, I have bigger issues. The kit has a few cords, a couple valve cores and some goop to seal the plugs. 20 bucks. Some of the roads I'm on during road trips are not user friendly for road service. Hell, some of the neighborhood that the nav system routes me through are not service friendly. I would buy a modern spare but 400 bucks and weeks delivery. I saw some posts about using a different brand of car's space saver.. I may spring for that just because I'm curious if I could get it to work. But then you have to be able to jack up the care and that has proven to be a challenge with alot the scissor jacks I've tried.. they are too fat when the car has lost a few inches due to the tire being flat. Then you need to be able to break loose the lug nuts at 120lbs.. always.. not insurmountable issue but a challenge.
That's what an electric jack is for, and a gorilla breaker bar. Both of which you can get on Amazon. If you carry something like a DeWalt 20v Air Compressor, you can also carry an impact wrench that uses the same batteries too...

They won't improperly tow your car, if that's what you are worried about... If they don't send a flatbed, they'll send a regular tow truck, and will put your rear wheels on dollies, and lift the front. They will not tow your car with any of the wheels on the ground.
Per the Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual:

If Model Y must be transported without a flatbed truck, then wheel lifts and dollies must be used to ensure that all four wheels are off of the ground. This method may only be used for a maximum of 35 miles (55 km), and must not exceed the manufacturer speed rating of the dollies. With this method, Tesla recommends the vehicle facing forward so that the front wheels are lifted and the rear wheels are on dollies.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt