Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horsepower & torque specs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone please help to explain why the new S75 with same motor power as S85 to be more than 1 sec faster in 0-60, and be almost as fast as S75D, which has so much more motor power?
I can think of a couple of reasons, though I do not know details of the technical design changes: (1) the S75 is 237 lb. lighter, since it has fewer cells; and, more significantly, (2) the S75 uses a later generation of hardware, allowing it to pull more current. Remember that 0-60 times are governed by two things: (1) the amount of initial torque the motor can provide, and (2) how long the motor can sustain that torque before it drops as power limits are reached. If you study the graphs in Tesla Physics, you will see these effects.

The referenced chart above (View attachment 271707) is incorrect. It is showing data for Ludicrous mode mixed with acceleration times for Ludicrous Plus Mode.

"... Tesla being able to pull 1500 amps from a battery pack for a P100D."
Actually, in Ludicrous Plus Mode a P100D pulls about 1,750 Amps from the battery, and the power from the battery peaks at 575KW (767 HP). Of course, not all of that power makes it to the wheels since there are inverter losses, motor efficiency losses, and gearbox losses. None the less, the torque and power for a P100D in Ludicrous Plus Mode are substantially higher than what that chart shows.
The actual increased power value is reported to be 35HP :cool: Here's how to unlock Tesla's new Ludicrous Plus acceleration mode - Roadshow

When loaded up with the latest firmware, Tesla's P100D vehicles can enter a mode beyond Ludicrous, which for now is just referred to as Ludicrous Plus. It's activated by holding down on the Ludicrous button for 5 seconds. After that, the instrument panel displays the battery's temperature and the outputs for both battery and the electric motors. The mode unlocks an extra 35 horsepower or so, but it comes at a cost. A confirmation screen asks the driver to acknowledge that Ludicrous Plus mode accelerates wear to the battery, motors and gearbox. It doesn't appear to screw with the warranty, but it's something to keep in mind nevertheless.

Got my S 100D VIN 1880xx (February build, probably old DU) uncorked today. Maximum power as shown by Dasbboard for Tesla went from 372kW to 420kW. Same outside temp, similar SoC (85pct).

Will post logs / run times with higher soc later on.

The actual increased power value is reported to be 35HP

Perhaps you misunderstood the intent of my original statement:
"... the torque and power for a P100D in Ludicrous Plus Mode are substantially higher than what that chart shows"

The referenced chart lists the maximum battery power as being 461KW, which is low by over 100KW(!) for a fully charged P100D in Ludicrous+ mode. 35HP is a difference of only about 26KW so even if we assume that the chart is really showing Ludicrous rather than Ludicrous+ mode (and in fact the column header states Ludicrous rather than Ludicrous+) and we add that additional 26KW to the chart's 461KW we would still only get about 487KW, which is still too low by nearly 90KW. I was not disputing the 26KW but rather the obviously too low for maximum battery power stated in that chart. That is what I was referring to with the "... substantially higher than what that chart shows" phrase. The chart's maximum is simply way off for even Ludicrous mode. Note that 1750Amps at 328VDC is 574KW from the battery while the chart's 461KW would *only* be about 1,400 Amps at 328VDC.

• Informative
Reactions: gpetti
Interesting to note the chart shows that the torque is unchanged between the Performance and Ludicrous models... only HP increases:cool:
Tesla Model S - Wikipedia
View attachment 271707

Pretty sure thats either wrong or way to simplistic. There were several variants of the P90DL battery, each quicker than the previous one and a P90DL is definitely quicker than a P85DL - the table suggests they have the same power.

I thought a big part of the Ludi improvements was being able to deliver peak power for longer before dropping off, not just more power overall. That would account for similar power numbers resulting in faster cars.