Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horsepower & torque specs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know Tesla got in hot water listing horsepower numbers for the motors instead of what the batteries are capable of delivering. However, I can’t find corrected numbers for any of the vehicles. Does anyone have that or have a guesstimated calculation? I’m most curious about my uncorked 100D but it would be nice to know the 75D and P100DL numbers also. Thanks to anyone who knows.

Road & Track dyno'd the P100D at 588 horsepower and 920 lb-ft of torque at the wheels

They had traction issues though, so there is probably a little bit more than that delivered to the ground.

Road & Track dyno'd the P100D at 588 horsepower and 920 lb-ft of torque at the wheels

The torque at the wheels is actually in the thousands of pound-feet and their stated torque is unlikely to even be correct at the motor shafts.
There is way too much botched in their measurements to take very seriously. Look at all of the failed attempts before they were able to get any measurements. If we instead assume that the 920 is in units of newton-meters then a conversion to pound-feet comes much closer to making some sense for the combined motor shaft torque. Also note that the front and rear gearboxes have different ratios, and a gearbox (single gear ratio) is more efficient than a transmission (multiple gear ratios). So what did they use for the gearing loss from the motor(s) to the wheels for their wheel based measurements?

Completely unstated, because they simply did not know how to reliably measure the torque of electric motors. They presumably do know how to measure ICE torques through transmissions at the wheels based on past experience and by being able to estimate the transmission losses, but not gearbox losses with zero RPM instant torque VFD driven 3-phase motors. Anyone having sufficiently instrumented their Tesla could potentially provide enough torque vs speed data to actually determine more accurate information than the testing that was done (which were never replicated anywhere else, by the way).

I know Tesla got in hot water listing horsepower numbers for the motors instead of what the batteries are capable of delivering. However, I can’t find corrected numbers for any of the vehicles. Does anyone have that or have a guesstimated calculation? I’m most curious about my uncorked 100D but it would be nice to know the 75D and P100DL numbers also.
See Upgraded performance Metrics Summary

The numbers they get are not correct at all—they had too much slippage and other problems. If you visit the thread I referenced, you will see that an uncorked S100D puts out 427 kW = 572 hp, and a P100D puts out 581 kW = 779 hp (and 931 N-m = 686 lb-ft) of torque out of the motor (whereas, they are probably measuring it out of the wheel, in which case it should by MUCH higher).

My S100D produced May 2017 and recently uncorked doesn’t seem to output anywhere near 450+ kWh. Now, I had no way to really measure it and just done so by eyeballing the dash power gauge which seems to go just a tiny bit beyond 300kwh, which is close to he published spec for the 90d.

My S100D produced May 2017 and recently uncorked doesn’t seem to output anywhere near 450+ kWh.
Where did you get the idea that it is supposed to be 450+? The numbers cited above are lower than that.
Now, I had no way to really measure it and just done so by eyeballing the dash power gauge which seems to go just a tiny bit beyond 300kwh, which is close to he published spec for the 90d.
Get either the PowerTools app for iOS or the Dashboard app for Android to measure your power output as reported by the car. PowerTools showed a max of 408 kW for my 12/17 build S100D at an 88% SOC, while producing a 4.0 s 0-60 mph.

Anyone know the specs for 100D and the various variants of them? Not even Wikipedia has data on that.
Interesting to note the chart shows that the torque is unchanged between the Performance and Ludicrous models... only HP increases:cool:
Tesla Model S - Wikipedia
upload_2018-1-7_10-3-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-7_10-1-31.png
    upload_2018-1-7_10-1-31.png
    139.3 KB · Views: 596
Interesting to note the chart shows that the torque is unchanged between the Performance and Ludicrous models... only HP increases
That is because torque is a function of the motor design and the voltage supplying it. But power is a function of voltage and current; and the current is dependent upon the battery design and its connections to the motor (e.g. contactor, fuse, cabling). This will affect how long the motors can keep supplying their torque before the current/power limits are reached or supply voltage drops (an increasing amount of power is needed to maintain the torque as the vehicle speed increases). Tesla did not redesign their motors to achieve Ludicrous acceleration; they changed the contactor (to inconel) and fuse (and possibly other parts) to permit higher current limits.

No... no... It's just that in the realm of Tesla, more battery typically equals more POWA!
All other things being equal, this is generally true. But there are other significant advances in the state of the art between generations that result from Tesla learning more about how to optimize batteries and their application. One has to appreciate the advances in technology that have led to Tesla being able to pull 1500 amps from a battery pack for a P100D. That is astonishing, really. Consider the size of the cable on a supercharger and note that it is carrying less than a quarter of the power that the P100D can draw from the battery—from "laptop" style batteries. Remember that people laughed at Elon Musk for trying to use such batteries in a car.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
1500 amps truly is astonishing. To put that in perspective; I am a railroader and our old “Jeep 38” locomotives can pull thousands of tons of rail cars by supplying 1500 amps to the traction motors on the locomotive. I think the loco motors are 600VDC. Yes I said “thousands of tons” :eek:

The referenced chart above (View attachment 271707) is incorrect. It is showing data for Ludicrous mode mixed with acceleration times for Ludicrous Plus Mode.

"... Tesla being able to pull 1500 amps from a battery pack for a P100D."
Actually, in Ludicrous Plus Mode a P100D pulls about 1,750 Amps from the battery, and the power from the battery peaks at 575KW (767 HP). Of course not all of that power makes it to the wheels since there are inverter losses, motor efficiency losses, and gearbox losses. None the less, the torque and power for a P100D in Ludicrous Plus Mode are substantially higher than what that chart shows.