Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horsepower???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As noted above, horsepower and kilowatt are measurements of the same thing, so if you have one it's a simple conversion.

If you're looking for an answer Tesla hasn't published, there are a few options.

You can buy an adapter to install deep in the center console area that connects to the diagnostic port and reads the car's internal information about power output.

You can get an exact weight for the car and then use an accelerometer and calculate the kinetic energy change over time. This approach doesn't capture the energy spent overcoming drag.

You can do a bunch of googling to find information from people who used one of these approaches.

Or, you can go with the simple Rolls Royce answer: the power is sufficient. :)

Reactions: Phlier
In practice power delivery matters. An ICE has a comparatively narrow power band and and with a transmission much greater drivetrain losses.

The performance of an ICE can be dramatically improved with a high performance torque converter that helps the engine get to and stay in the meat of the powerband.

I would discourage trying to compare ICE/EV HP figures it won't paint an accurate picture.

My last car was a Chevy Sports Sedan 415hp/tq and I think 4000ish lbs 0-60 of 4.7seconds my single dragstrip pass was I think 13.1 at 108. P85 is rated 1more HP 25tq more and at the slow end is quoted as 4.2 0-60mph despite an extra 600lbs, and I think I have seen 12.4 as 1/4 mile time.

S between peak tq and hp at all points below 73mph where the HP starts to taper off. ICE has to get into it then back off for shift that might bring it below peak tq, even besides the significant power loss thru the transmission.

An ICE with an efficient drivetrain loses 15% from engine to tire.

In practice power delivery matters. An ICE has a comparatively narrow power band and and with a transmission much greater drivetrain losses.

The performance of an ICE can be dramatically improved with a high performance torque converter that helps the engine get to and stay in the meat of the powerband.

I would discourage trying to compare ICE/EV HP figures it won't paint an accurate picture.

My last car was a Chevy Sports Sedan 415hp/tq and I think 4000ish lbs 0-60 of 4.7seconds my single dragstrip pass was I think 13.1 at 108. P85 is rated 1more HP 25tq more and at the slow end is quoted as 4.2 0-60mph despite an extra 600lbs, and I think I have seen 12.4 as 1/4 mile time.

S between peak tq and hp at all points below 73mph where the HP starts to taper off. ICE has to get into it then back off for shift that might bring it below peak tq, even besides the significant power loss thru the transmission.

An ICE with an efficient drivetrain loses 15% from engine to tire.

Correct!

An automatic transmission will have more loss than a manual!