Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
  • The final cut of the 8th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

How’s my strategy for pushing order to 2022

I ordered august 2. SR+, White ext with White int, standard wheels, no full self driving. I’m planning to pay with cash (getting loan elsewhere) and I live in Maine (not sure what delivery options look like…)

I’m interested to delay the purchase until 2022 (Two reasons: shoulder replacement, tax rebate possibilities, but the strategy is NOT the point of this post).

I spoke to support in September about my goals and the guy said “sr+ will not get to you before EOY. Don’t worry.”

My EDD was Nov3-dec 1. Figured it would push.

Then I started seeing July orders like mine (SR+ white white with aero wheels) being delivered and I became concerned.

I called again earlier this month to speak to support about my desire to delay the purchase until 2022

First guy said that i could freeze my account to effect a small delay (it would put me a little bit back in line but not all the way to end - like as if i cancelled and ordered again). However, he said that the freeze could only be extended until 90 days from order. He said this after consulting and he sent it in email.

He said that i would be notified by email on Oct 31 and that I’d i didn’t reactivate at that time “click ‘I’m ready’”, then my order would be cancelled.

He didn’t say how much time I would have to click the link and the timing didn’t really make sense, so I called to see if I could talk with him again to clarify.

I got someone else snd explained the whole thing. He said that he wanted to talk with his supervisor. After 15 minutes on hold, he said that they’d freeze my account until Dec 1. I asked about the 90 day thing and he said that he checked and this would be fine.

At this point, I was feeling like no one there really knows. I’m not sure what my options are,

I asked him why Dec 1 instead of Jan 1. He said that “it’s because your order date” and I asked what he meant. He then talked about how it would take a little time after 1st to get the VIN. I asked if dec 15th might be a little safer, but at this point I was t sure if he really knew and whether I was over staying my welcome…. I didn’t want him to turn on me, and felt like he didn’t really know anything anyhow.

So… all that said, I’m curious if anyone knows 1) Whether I’m at risk of having my order automatically cancelled if it’s in freeze status 90 days after order date and 2) if the freeze approach is a reasonable way to delay purchase. 3) what timing most likely would look like after I unfreeze on Dec 1, ie is there a high probability that i can delay my purchase to 2022 if i unfreeze Dec 1.

Any insights appreciated.
Yeh. It's pretty unlikely a car of my spec is going to materialize in No. VA tomorrow. Besides, from following the waiting room threads, it seems like LR AWD are being pushed and not RWD. I suspect mine will get made in the next east coast RWD run.
And in the unlikely event that they do decide to dump a car on you in the next 3 days, you can always talk to them and reinstate the hold.
Upvote 0

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.