Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How accurate (relative to other batteries) is the stated range when full?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a first Gen 70D. When full my battery says I can go 381 kms (237 miles)

My 70D has 68.8 actual usable battery.

This means the calculation to come up with 381 is a slightly optimistic 180 wh/km (288 wh/mile)

Based on what we know about some of thr other Tesla battery actual usable capacities, is the calculation accurate making that same consumption assumption?

I. E. The software limited 60 that was actually a downgraded 70 was actually 62.4 kw of usable capacity...does that mean they showed 347 kms/215 miles when full?

90D at 81.8 usable... Does it show 454 kms/282 miles of range when full? (Also how the hell do they call that a 90 and not an 85 or 80) .

Just curious.

The car estimates based on your driving usage. If your average is over 288 Wh/mi, well, it may be optimistic, but it's all the information it's got. Most of us have learned that the car is hoping you'll drive more efficiently, and understand we won't be getting that kind of range, and I have learned how to get that range by slowing down. But it is an estimate.

I have a 90D. I dunno. I have about 300+ miles of range at 65-70 mph. Never worried about it as there are superchargers along every route I've ever taken along the west half of the US.

Tesla uses an EPA formula for converting kWh to range. For estimating purposes, I've found that a good rule of thumb is that battery miles equate to driving at 60 mph on a flat, level interstate with no wind and an outside temperature of 70 F. If you haven't discovered it already, check out the Trip Chart page within the Energy app. (See the tab at the top of the Energy app window.) It works in conjunction with the Nav to give you an accurate prediction of your remaining energy at your destination. That prediction gets updated constantly as you drive, taking into account all sorts of factors. I've found that it's accurate within 1%.

A way you can extend range before leaving on a winter road trip is to turn on the car's climate control from the smartphone app while the car is still plugged in. Set the temp to 80 F and let it warm up for 30 minutes just before you leave. This will cause the battery heater to run as well, and the energy used will come from the outlet, not the battery, improving your range during the first 30 minutes of your trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: sakimano
I have an "85" battery that was never 85 kwh in capacity. It's closer to 77 kwh in usable capacity though, and I don't care because I'm a leadfoot that will never get the rated mileage no matter what, and it always has enough juice to get me home which is all that matters.

The car estimates based on your driving usage. If your average is over 288 Wh/mi, well, it may be optimistic, but it's all the information it's got. Most of us have learned that the car is hoping you'll drive more efficiently, and understand we won't be getting that kind of range, and I have learned how to get that range by slowing down. But it is an estimate..
No. No. No. Why does this misinformation persist out there after dozens of posts over the years correcting this?

Rated range has NOTHING to do with your driving history. It’s the range on the EPA test cycle. You can drive 25 mph all the time and get lots more than the rated range, or drive 85 mph and get lots less than the rated range, but your rated range will not change either way.

It depends on where you look. The car does estimate your range based on current driving style and conditions, and shows that to you in both the energy app and the nav app. That's probably where people get that idea from. The dash mileage is EPA only (or worse, Tesla's much higher ideal) and I'd prefer to change that to a real number instead, which is why I use %, but would change it to the real estimate if that option was available.

The car estimates based on your driving usage. If your average is over 288 Wh/mi, well, it may be optimistic, but it's all the information it's got. Most of us have learned that the car is hoping you'll drive more efficiently, and understand we won't be getting that kind of range, and I have learned how to get that range by slowing down. But it is an estimate.

I have a 90D. I dunno. I have about 300+ miles of range at 65-70 mph. Never worried about it as there are superchargers along every route I've ever taken along the west half of the US.
Thanks

What does your car show when charged full as your range.

I was under the assumption the range shown is not based on your driving but is a standardized stated range metric.

It depends on where you look. The car does estimate your range based on current driving style and conditions, and shows that to you in both the energy app and the nav app. That's probably where people get that idea from. The dash mileage is EPA only (or worse, Tesla's much higher ideal) and I'd prefer to change that to a real number instead, which is why I use %, but would change it to the real estimate if that option was available.[/
Has anyone answered the question?

Basically is the stated range on all cars calculated the same way? An assumption of about 181wh/km or 291 wh/mile?
No. Each model and battery size has a slightly different wh/mile consumption to get the rated range. They're in the range of 280-300 wh/mile I think. The performance versions have the higher wh/mi of course. The value for each car has been reported in posts here-- probably can find it by searching.