Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How and where to pull plug / power to the VMS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok well pulling the plugs is more painful than you would think. Anyway, doing that did not fix my issue. I still get both errors. I even pulled the 30 amp fuse in the front area. So I am now needing to resort to pulling the main ESS disconnect? Does anyone know specifically what else needs to be powered down? Is it the VDS? I would rather find a way to power down the specific component (VDS?) than risk breaking the main disconnect. I have never pulled it so I am sure it is stuck firmly and will be a hastle. Is there a way to easily power down the VDS? It continued to stay on even after pulling the fuse and disconnecting both mains to the VMS. Thoughts?
I found the first part of this video to be helpful on the sequences to power down everything and how best to pull the ESS service disconnect.
Good Luck.

So just to close the loop on this problem, @markwj helped me out and bottom line, concluded the issue was likely caused by the VDS, not the VMS. Again I think me being in the service menu and some combination of inputs caused an issue with the VDS not being able to communicate with the VMS. After a reboot of the VDS, issue is gone!

Let me say, to any roadster owners that do not have an OVMS, please go out and get this little piece of hardware. It is invaluable on a daily basis, but also if there are issues with the car, it can be a lifeline to being able to interface with the cars systems. Using this I was still able to charge the car, change charging current, stop charging, and see some vitals. It also facilitated a remote reboot of the VDS which saved me a lot of stress and potentially further problems.

I can’t thank @markwj enough for his help other than to spread the gospel of OVMS!

giphy.gif

I also just had the "VMS-VDS comms fault" error. Everything was dead, I couldn't even open the door without using the hidden keyhole. At long last, I bought one of the OVMS modules from Medlock and Sons. It arrived yesterday, and I'm still getting it configured. But Medlock was kind enough to describe how to reboot the VMS manually. I did that and at first nothing happened. The error was still on the display, but then the screen went dark and all the doors popped open (including the trunk!). The coolant pump started running as well, and then the screen rebooted. It's now a functioning car again!