Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How are Teslas shipped to Ontario? ie. train or truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just joined and this is my first post. I ordered my Model 3 on April 30th so looking forward to it.

Just curious if anyone knows if they ship them from California by train or on auto carrier trucks? Are they covered in a protective film?

Thank you!

Welcome!

Not sure yet but most likely by rail to Canada. Of the 3’s I’ve seen on carrier pics over the months of delivery not one has been protection wrapped.

This might have changed, but last year when I ordered my MX they said the cars go by train to Chicago and then by truck the rest of the way

That is the way I understand it to be. It's the long distance on the truck that causes damage to the paint from rocks and such too (although Tesla did a good job in getting out the little chips). It's also a good reason to do a thorough inspection before taking delivery.

Reactions: 03DSG
I have seen many, many truckloads of Tesla cars throughout Michigan, and even followed one into Canada via the Port Huron/Sarnia crossing. Had never heard of the train to Chicago thing, but have no information to contradict it either.

My X came by train to Chicago Dec 2016. My DS had given me updates on its location as they can track them just like we can after we take delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: mknox and Blu Angel
I was up in the mountains above lake taho. A 18 wheeler pulled in loaded with Teslas. I asked they were going? He said Canada, out of Detroit crossing. He said drops them at a customs clearing house and Tesla moves them from there. It was weird, the truck was not full. He said Tesla weighs so much that he has one empty spot because he would be over weight.