TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How can Autopilot be applauded? Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Garlan Garner, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Supporting Member

SO...I'm thinking one way to support EAP's successes is that....

If you don't have anything good to say....then don't say anything at all. lol

2. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I actually think that's dangerous. I don't want people to think EAP is full-proof and then use it irresponsibly. I promote EAP to everyone but I make sure they are aware of what it does well and where it has limitations.

3. Garlan Garner

Listen closely.

I would like to applaud its successes. That's it. When it is successful...applaud it instead of just talking about deficiencies.

I cant believe how hard this has been to get across. Maybe that's why we/society is where we are at this time in the world.

Pushback to applaud success......unbelievable.

4. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I wasn't pushing back to the success of EAP. I think it did a great job in the situation in the video. It properly notified the driver of a danger.

I was pushing back to your comment about not knowing how EAP would react. Which is not true. One of the reason why EAP is a great system is that we can predict exactly how it would react based on its programming.

5. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

You don’t see with your eyes, you perceive w your mind.
    /OT

6. Garlan Garner

I play chess.

If I am white and have the same 4 opening moves in 10 games....the computer won't counter with the same moves ( computer counters with 4 different moves) .....even though the programing doesn't change. Why?

7. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

Generally computer gaming AIs have some measure of randomness built in to prevent that very situation. Obviously that’s not something we want with Autopilot.

8. Garlan Garner

No..thats not it. There is no randomness built in.

What could affect a computer to make different decisions with the same programming? - no randomness.

9. Garlan Garner

#69 Garlan Garner, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    One thing that could help applaud Auto-pilot is seeking out successful situations.

The news media seeks out bad news...

Why can't we seek out good news?

There is NO way everyone steered out of all of these situations.

May I have 2 minutes of your time!!!!!! Put This in the news.

10. Asymmetry

Asymmetry Member

#70 Asymmetry, Jul 29, 2018
    Thanks for this, was the info I need.

Also legally here, if you swerve out of your lane to avoid an accident and cause another accident, you at fault for the secondary accident.

I'm still looking at getting a M3 but without EAP because my commute is inner city so dont need it. Still tossing up between a Subaru with Eyesight crash avoidance vs this. Subaru eyesight works well for clowns cutting you off, here it would jam on the brakes but not swerve.

11. Garlan Garner

Don't believe everything you read. Tesla's EAP is constantly evolving unlike other vendor's versions of autopilot.

One may say that Tesla's EAP does not change lanes, however that may not be true on tomorrow ( Monday ). Take a quick 2 min glance at the video I just posted.

• Like x 1
  12. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

There are many opening strategies for Chess so there is a level of randomness. Driving in a lot of ways is simpler than Chess.

13. Garlan Garner

Nope.. I make the same opening moves...so the computer is reacting to the same situation with the same programing - responding differently. Why? - no randomness or different openings.

Forget it. You don't want to applaud Autopilot anyway as what the tread is looking for. I'm done.

14. Asymmetry

Asymmetry Member

True, hence me asking owners about their experiences here. I

I've edited my post but legally here, if you swerve out of your lane to avoid an accident and cause another accident, you are at fault for the secondary accident. Is this the case in the US?

interesting analogy but I agree with Garlan, as a PC gamer, there is no randomness involved just complex set of variables that may appear random to the human. You will get the same result every time, plenty of game destroying cheapies people can exploit.

• Disagree x 1
  15. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Because there are tons of opening strategies. You making the same opening move doesn't matter. At that point there are many optimal moves for the computer to chose from. Below is a list of some of the best known opening strategies for Black.

[​IMG]

16. Garlan Garner

I was involved in that very situation. Yes...you are at fault in the US...and your insurance pays for any damages you create....HOWEVER your/my insurance company went and got compensated for all damages I caused from the person who hit me.

So....yes..I was at fault, however I wasn't liable. I hope that makes sense.

17. Garlan Garner

#77 Garlan Garner, Jul 29, 2018
    Nope. The answer is: Because I'm giving the computer more and less time to calculate its next move. The more time the computer has to calculate...it makes different decisions.

Are you aware of all of the factors that TESLA's can use to make decisions? There are hundreds upon hundreds of possible scenarios. Thank God that Tesla's ECU is truly fast enough to make the most calculations per second than ANY driver assist program out there and isn't plagued by timing or anything else.

Take a look at this video as it moves through a few of the can bus signals. Some of them apply directly to EAP. Look at all of the DAS and EAP settings there are....They aren't covered, but look at all of them.

ITS NOT SIMPLE. Tons of sensors and "If...Then" programing scenarios.

Again. Lets applaud Tesla's massive work in EAP, DAS, FSD, and their successes that we see on the road.

• Helpful x 1
  18. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

You want to applaud Tesla for EAP but why do you keep insisting that computers can't be programmed to properly handle different situations?

19. Garlan Garner

#79 Garlan Garner, Jul 29, 2018
    I'm saying …. listen carefully.

I have provided video's - live scenarios and explanations. AND I titled the thread related to APPLAUDING Teslas EAP.

TESLA's EAP IS properly engineered and programed....so lets applaud it.

20. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I agree. You can do a lot with programming. Like teaching computers how to play Chess. I applaud software engineers in general.