Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can Autopilot be applauded? Any suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Current "Enhanced" Autopilot doesn't even have all the cameras active, and uses the shorter range ultrasonic sensors for "seeing" to the side. Have you used the auto lane change feature? Have you noticed the poor behavior of it's blind spot monitoring? It's not ready for these types of quick decisions. But yes, it'll get better... it has to, as they move to FSD.
I use auto change lane all the time and I don't really notice a problem with it detecting things in my blind spot.

Banning those who don’t even own Tesla’s from discussing autopilot would reduce half of the FUD and half of my disagrees off the bat!

I do think as ownership goes up and ignorance goes down - it will be self correcting.

The biggest hold outs believe there is no point to AP because they “drive better”. While true most of the time.. not ALL of the time.

Man is better than machine.
Man + machine is better than man or machine alone.

Utilize each respective strength for a safer overall experience.

Banning those who don’t even own Tesla’s from discussing autopilot would reduce half of the FUD and half of my disagrees off the bat!

I do think as ownership goes up and ignorance goes down - it will be self correcting.

The biggest hold outs believe there is no point to AP because they “drive better”. While true most of the time.. not ALL of the time.

Man is better than machine.
Man + machine is better than man or machine alone.

Utilize each respective strength for a safer overall experience.
Who cares who is better. We need to promote the successes of Autopilot.

Mankind isn't shy at all about promoting its successes - as skewed as they sometimes are.

Current "Enhanced" Autopilot doesn't even have all the cameras active, and uses the shorter range ultrasonic sensors for "seeing" to the side. Have you used the auto lane change feature? Have you noticed the poor behavior of it's blind spot monitoring? It's not ready for these types of quick decisions. But yes, it'll get better... it has to, as they move to FSD.
Just imagine how good EAP is now.....without the need for all of the cameras. Just imagine when it does.

Auto Lane change ( monitoring the blind spot ) is working just fine. No accidents listed because of Auto Lane Change as of yet.

Just imagine how good EAP is now.....without the need for all of the cameras. Just imagine when it does.

Auto Lane change ( monitoring the blind spot ) is working just fine. No accidents listed because of Auto Lane Change as of yet.

It’s too conservative and can get bullied by people accelerating from behind. Half way changing and changing back is lame.

P Model 3 should be able to lane change and stay in front of anything it wants.

Before pulling the trigger I saw not much difference between regular cars and "luxury" cars aside from softer leather, smoother ride, the trunk badge, etc. Maybe radar cruise but you can get that on many cars now.

However, about Autopilot - if a feature allows me (illegally or not) to really look, rather than glance, at my phone long enough to read and comprehend an urgent text message, or allow my sister (in her own Tesla while on AP) to turn around and actually locate and pick up something dropped on the rear seat floor (yeah I know, not recommended but to my point)...now That is true luxury. It doesn't necessarily have to save me from an accident, I should be on-guard for that myself, AP or not.

And that's my take on applauding Autopilot. Bravo.

At the end of very long days going out with kids, I’ve always brought the entire family home safely thanks to AP allowing me to doze off few seconds every minute. That’s gotta be some positive news right? Right???

Wait....that video didn't NOT show Autopilot avoiding an accident either.

You don't think Autopilot would change lanes by itself? Why?

This is exactly the reaction I'm talking about.

I don't think AP could change lane by itself with the current software. I don't even use auto lane change that much because it is too slow. By the time it decided to go, some other car would have already went into the lane and speed up behind. AP does a good job of staying in the lane and keeping distance to the car ahead. But moving to the next lane to avoid accident is going to be harder to implement I think.

I don't think AP could change lane by itself with the current software. I don't even use auto lane change that much because it is too slow. By the time it decided to go, some other car would have already went into the lane and speed up behind. AP does a good job of staying in the lane and keeping distance to the car ahead. But moving to the next lane to avoid accident is going to be harder to implement I think.
There are about 4 options to avoid the accident in that video and there is a difficult time believing that a computer would have a difficult decision choosing one based on the circumstance?
Look...in the current version of AP the car chooses when to change lanes if you simply engage the turn signal while AP is on.
There is absolutely no way it would be difficult at all to program a computer to avoid an accident by changing lanes as an option. Not in 2018,
A computer can annihilate ANY human playing chess ( calculate 100k million moves per second) - and then cant change lanes that only require it to choose from a maximum of 5 or so moves per second? Come on.
I remember the same push-back when the simple cruise control ( that's now in every car ) came out.

For goodness sake....the current EAP drives better than some humans simply trying to stay between the lines of a lane...which is the point of this thread.

Last edited:
There are about 4 options to avoid the accident in that video and there is a difficult time believing that a computer would have a difficult decision choosing one based on the circumstance?
Look...in the current version of AP the car chooses when to change lanes if you simply engage the turn signal while AP is on.
There is absolutely no way it would be difficult at all to program a computer to avoid an accident by changing lanes as an option. Not in 2018,

So first- it sure CAN be programmed to do that- but right now it doesn't. And the changing it does do with turn signal is very conservative and passive (Elon himself noted this, and showed the "mad max" mode the Semi has in beta testing to make it more aggressive)- you don't really want passive/conservative lane changes if trying to quickly avoid an accident.

Second- the programming is a bit more complex than you suggest- What if there's a bicycle in the other lane? Do you wreck two cars or hit a bicycle? What if it's a dog instead? What if the accident is about to be caused because a truck up ahead dumped a bunch of stuff onto the road, so changing lanes might provoke a worse accident?

If all those choices were easy EAP would already do auto lane change (which is an announced feature of the product that it doesn't currently do)

A computer can annihilate ANY human playing chess ( calculate 100k million moves per second)

Sure- but that's after decades of software development. EAP has existed for what, 4 years? and the current system (AP2 and above) for only 2).

And chess has a fixed amount of spaces and pieces and board positions (a very high # of them mind you- but all known items). There's never a case where a chess computer has to recognize, understand, and react, to say a truck dumping a load of a bunch of random objects all over the board that are moving in unpredictable ways, surrounded by OTHER DRIVERS who may also behave unpredictably... So the analogy is...not great.

But back to the original point of the guy you were replying to- AP can't change lanes automatically to avoid accidents because the current software doesn't have that feature.

And we know that feature isn't ready to be deployed because if it was, it would be.

It's entirely possible it WILL be ready at some point (it would have to be for FSD at least) but today is not that day.

The author of this YouTube video updated his description to be less misleading now. No, the car didn't swing over to the other lane automatically. The bad part is most won't read this, and the Electrek article hasn't been updated.

"Our Model 3 Autopilot when it sensed an accident was imminent, sent out an audible warning and steered us to the right within the lane when we then took over for Autopilot the moment I honked our horn, simultaneously looked over rear view mirror in right adjacent lane to make sure no vehicle was there before moving over to right adjacent lane to continue to avoid collision and powered out getting back into the same lane. The Autopilot disengage audible sound was washed out from the horn sound I believe because of our low quality dashcam mic."

• Informative
Reactions: seattlite2004
The author of this YouTube video updated his description to be less misleading now. No, the car didn't swing over to the other lane automatically. The bad part is most won't read this, and the Electrek article hasn't been updated.

"Our Model 3 Autopilot when it sensed an accident was imminent, sent out an audible warning and steered us to the right within the lane when we then took over for Autopilot the moment I honked our horn, simultaneously looked over rear view mirror in right adjacent lane to make sure no vehicle was there before moving over to right adjacent lane to continue to avoid collision and powered out getting back into the same lane. The Autopilot disengage audible sound was washed out from the horn sound I believe because of our low quality dashcam mic."

The main idea is autopilot did it’s job if it prevented two cars from occupying the same physical space at the same time.

Whether the Tesla would have kept moving right if the other car kept moving right, do we know?

Lastly does anyone know if EAP had to be enabled for the behavior demonstrated in the video to take effect?

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
The brakes would have been useless in this situation. The car on the left lane would have side swiped the car if the vehicle didn't swerve.

See what I mean folks. Humans would have made many different decisions looking at the SAME video.

Some would have hit the brakes
Some would have moved to the right lane
Some might have just taken the hit.

Those are the TOP / ONLY 3 options. Autopilot could have definitely made a decision with only 3 options ( or a mixture of them ) available.

FSD is getting some features activated in August. I can't wait to see what the improvements might be. Is everyone aware that there are people who have a very difficult time reading signs and directions? I don't know HOW they are getting licenses....however I have first hand knowledge of a driver that knows what a red octagon is.....they aren't really aware of the fact that the sign says "STOP".

The point is......Autopilot appeared to respond in a situation that was dangerous in that video. How can we promote this good news.

Reactions: C141medic