Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I get Tesla to push a SW update to me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi MJGolf,

You may want to call your local Service Center with your VIN (at least the last 6 digits) and ask them to check
if they see anything "stuck" or an update download failure...
If nothing is wrong, they may flag your car to push the software to you.

As mentioned above be sure you see the "wifi" connected symbol at the top of your display...
Sometimes after I return home I still see the icon for LTE.
If so, I touch it to make sure that it is connected to the wifi and not your phone company.
This is easier for me in a poor cellular reception area.
You in California probably have a better cellular signal that the car might not want to release
when you are home.
So, be sure it is connected to wifi.

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: MJGolf
I went into the Dublin California service center last week because I was having all kinds of weird software problems. I did not have to leave the car, they could talk to my car right there and search the database and found a firmware update that did not show up on my car- and they pushed it out to me right then and there, while I waited. The car flashed a software update right there in the service center! So I drove it home and parked the car, clicked the "install now" button and 30 minutes later, the software glitches were gone!

So I encourage you to make an appointment and drive in and have them look. Or, they might reach out to you before the appointment and push the software updates to you beforehand!

I went into the Dublin California service center last week because I was having all kinds of weird software problems. I did not have to leave the car, they could talk to my car right there and search the database and found a firmware update that did not show up on my car- and they pushed it out to me right then and there, while I waited. The car flashed a software update right there in the service center! So I drove it home and parked the car, clicked the "install now" button and 30 minutes later, the software glitches were gone!

So I encourage you to make an appointment and drive in and have them look. Or, they might reach out to you before the appointment and push the software updates to you beforehand!

Thank you! I’ll schedule a service appointment and see if they can push the software to me ahead of the appointment.

Hi MJGolf,

You may want to call your local Service Center with your VIN (at least the last 6 digits) and ask them to check
if they see anything "stuck" or an update download failure...
If nothing is wrong, they may flag your car to push the software to you.

As mentioned above be sure you see the "wifi" connected symbol at the top of your display...
Sometimes after I return home I still see the icon for LTE.
If so, I touch it to make sure that it is connected to the wifi and not your phone company.
This is easier for me in a poor cellular reception area.
You in California probably have a better cellular signal that the car might not want to release
when you are home.
So, be sure it is connected to wifi.

Shawn

Thanks Shawn! I’ll give the service center is try. Very helpful info.

Reactions: gangzoom