Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I make the phone key more reliable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the first month I owned the Y, I didn't have a single issue getting into the car...I wasn't even sure what would happen if it didn't recognize the phone.

Now I would say it's 50/50...i'll pull the handle and sentry mode will remind me it's recording.

Is there anything I can do to make this more reliable? If I pull my phone out and wake it up, the car usually recognizes it. I am not sure if this has to do with me waking the phone or with it being higher/out of my pocket.

Either way, this is getting annoying. Any ideas?

For the first month I owned the Y, I didn't have a single issue getting into the car...I wasn't even sure what would happen if it didn't recognize the phone.

Now I would say it's 50/50...i'll pull the handle and sentry mode will remind me it's recording.

Is there anything I can do to make this more reliable? If I pull my phone out and wake it up, the car usually recognizes it. I am not sure if this has to do with me waking the phone or with it being higher/out of my pocket.

Works better in front pocket than back pocket.

What device are you using? Android or iPhone?
  • Have you allowed all permissions on your app?
  • Do you allow the app to be run in the background?
  • Do you have Bluetooth turned on all the time?
  • Do you allow your device to scan for nearby Bluetooth signals all the time?
  • Is your phone optimizing the App too aggressively?
While I cannot speak to Apple devices. I can say the Android Tesla app is pretty reliable. It's almost 95% effective. The only times I find it doesn't work very well is if the car is in a deep sleep if I haven't driven it for more than 24 hours.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
What device are you using? Android or iPhone?
  • Have you allowed all permissions on your app?
  • Do you allow the app to be run in the background?
  • Do you have Bluetooth turned on all the time?
  • Do you allow your device to scan for nearby Bluetooth signals all the time?
  • Is your phone optimizing the App too aggressively?
While I cannot speak to Apple devices. I can say the Android Tesla app is pretty reliable. It's almost 95% effective. The only times I find it doesn't work very well is if the car is in a deep sleep if I haven't driven it for more than 24 hours.

I have an iPhone - I did just update the app so maybe that will help. The other things, to the extent they are applicable to iPhone, yes. Maybe I've just gotten too fat and the phone signal can't penetrate my glutes.

• Funny
Reactions: CyberGus
If you continue to have issues I would uninstall the Tesla App (make sure you have your keycard), remove your phone as a key from your car, restart your phone, re-install the Tesla app, re-pair the phone as a key to your car.

I had an issue early on and this resolved it. I have not had any issues since.