Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can you confirm you got delivered a P3D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not. Stickier tires are more important. See Edmund's test:

Watch Tesla Model 3 Get Track Tested With 18 & 19-Inch Wheels

It's for the RWD version rather than AWD-P

Which is why it's a useless example to raise.

The RWD is obviously traction starved so stickier tires beat just about anything else.

So far we've not seen evidence that's the case with the AWD models (since the very few P runs we've gotten seem to all be right around 3.5 (without rollout- 3.2-3.3 with it) regardless of tires.

Likely the quickest will be a non-upgraded P with 18s and non-tesla-version PS 4s tires (ideally wider ones than stock) but it's unclear how much difference that'll make... (Elon seems to suggest as much as two tenths for wider tires- which neither version of the P comes with)

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
I went with the non upgrade package because I live in New England.

getting the upgrade package means that I'm locked into wheels that will clear the large calipers, making my winter wheel and tire set a more expensive proposition.

Now, I have the flexibility to buy 19s or 20s with my choice of summer tires, while keeping the OEM 18s as my winter set.

If that makes me a "poser", bring out your RWD 3 and we can talk about it when you catch up.

;)

EDIT: and now that I've put 800+ miles on my car, including ~300 on twisty VT and NH mountain roads, I can tell you that the added regen of the second motor makes brakes not as big a deal on the P as they may seem to RWD drivers.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
Nitpicker's corner:
Possibly quicker (though I don't think we've seen side by side to confirm) but not faster (top speed) due to at least software limiting.

fair enough, but you've gotta be racing somewhere with a long enough straightaway for the heavier version to make up the fractions of a second initially lost.

it's why Teslas win on the 1/4 mile.....if they were taking on some of these supercars in a HALF mile, the expensive ICE cars would catch up.