Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How check only EV charging cost for SCE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get my bill for So Cal Edison online and it says amount due $192.07 for statement date 3/9/2023.

I charge my Tesla at home every night, usually it's about 10%-20% if I only do local driving from home to office. Which is like a 20 min commute from Lake Forest to Irvine. I think I am paying less than gas but I'm not absolutely sure because that bill is likely everything in my home.

My friends drive economy cars like Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla and they say their cars can last very long on one tank of gas. The Honda Civic guy says he can do 2 round trips from Mission Viejo to Six Flags on one tank. Or Mission Viejo CA to Phoenix AZ (Avondale area) on one full tank. And the Honda Civic guy says he knows a gas hack and claims he can get like $2 off a gallon so he pays about $3 per gallon in CA in 2023, and he says his full tank costs about $33-35. He should be paying around $55 per tank but it seems his gas hacks are working out for him, so he could get gas for cheaper than Costco. And he thinks he is beating the Tesla which he could be, I am pretty sure he is beating peak rate at 40c-50c kwh superchargers.

But I don't use superchargers if I'm at home, I think charging at home during off peak times is cheaper than superchargers. Most day trips I do rarely ever need a supercharger if I leave with a 90-100% charge. Because living in Orange County, most day trips are usually going to LA or North LA county, San Diego, or San Bernardino.

Do you have an EV night rate or a ToU (Time of Use) plan with low peak rate?
Do you solely charge during off peak time?
Does So Cal Edison provides daily and hourly consumption for your website billing?

I would recommend installing a Wattmeter (next to your charger plug or next to the circuit breaker panel)
to monitor the energy used to charge your car. There is about 10 to 15% losses to convert 240V AC to 400V DC.

I’ve found that the easiest way to compare is cents/mile. So once you find out how much it costs, you can use that.

For example, my Ford Edge was 13 cents/mile at pre-pandemic costs. My wife’s MKZ hybrid is 9 cents a mile. My MY at home is 3 cents/mile.

I second what @RTPEV says, set up and use the Tesla app. Then see what you spend by looking at the Charging Stats.
Screenshot_20230311_063559_Tesla.jpg

Last edited:
I get my bill for So Cal Edison online and it says amount due $192.07 for statement date 3/9/2023.

I charge my Tesla at home every night, usually it's about 10%-20% if I only do local driving from home to office. Which is like a 20 min commute from Lake Forest to Irvine. I think I am paying less than gas but I'm not absolutely sure because that bill is likely everything in my home.

My friends drive economy cars like Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla and they say their cars can last very long on one tank of gas. The Honda Civic guy says he can do 2 round trips from Mission Viejo to Six Flags on one tank
My brother lives in LA. He commutes about 60 miles round trip every day. He used to commute in a Honda Civic and a Scion tC.. I did the math with him, using his numbers. He said he averaged about 38 miles per gallon on his commute, (he has a few hills to drive over). At the time, I think he was averaging 250 watt hours a mile. He said he pays between 17 cents and 24 cents per kwh at home... When I use those numbers, gas needs to be cheaper than $1.63 when he pays 17 cents kwh, and cheaper than $2.30/gallon when he pays 24 cents, in order for gas to be cheaper. Gas near his house was still hovering around $5/gallon when I visited him a few months ago.

He was saving quite a bit by driving and charging at home.

Or Mission Viejo CA to Phoenix AZ (Avondale area) on one full tank. And the Honda Civic guy says he knows a gas hack and claims he can get like $2 off a gallon so he pays about $3 per gallon in CA in 2023, and he says his full tank costs about $33-35. He should be paying around $55 per tank but it seems his gas hacks are working out for him, so he could get gas for cheaper than Costco. And he thinks he is beating the Tesla which he could be, I am pretty sure he is beating peak rate at 40c-50c kwh superchargers.
I don't know if I would be basing anything on stealing gas tho... But using your friends numbers, mission viejo to magic mountain and back is like 160 miles, so if you do that twice, that's 320 miles. His gas tank is 12.4 gallons, so if he steals some gas and pays $35 for a tank... Even with my Model Y, to do that same distance, his gas would break even with my car, if I paid 36 cents to charge. You can pay that rate at Electrify America with Pass+, if you need to fast charge during peak hours. If you go offpeak, the West Hollywood Supercharger, for example, is 21 cents after midnight, and 39 cents before 8am.

Using my brother's model 3, to cover that same distance, your friends civic would beat him if my brother has to pay more than 42 cents kwh. The peak rate at the West Hollywood Supercharger is 47 cents, so your friend would only be saving 4 bucks even if my brother supercharged during peak hours.... And that is with your friend stealing gas. If he were to buy gas at the Mission Viejo Costco, he'd have to pay $4.69/gallon, which means his tank would cost $58. Which means my brother would have him beat as long as he paid < 70 cents/kwh.

My brother said his home rate is between 17 and 24 cents kwh, from LADWP.

Last edited:
Just look at the amount of KW listed in your Tesla app and multiply by the cost per KW on your SCE bill.

I'm looking at my charge stats, it says last 31 days. 735kwh & $115

My bill about $192. But I don't know if it matches up exactly with the Tesla app. But if it was close, does that mean $115 / $192 means the Tesla takes about 60% of all the electricity powered from the home?
I don't know if I would be basing anything on stealing gas tho... But using your friends numbers, mission viejo to magic mountain and back is like 160 miles, so if you do that twice, that's 320 miles. His gas tank is 12.4 gallons, so if he steals some gas and pays $35 for a tank... Even with my Model Y, to do that same distance, his gas would break even with my car, if I paid 36 cents to charge. You can pay that rate at Electrify America with Pass+, if you need to fast charge during peak hours. If you go offpeak, the West Hollywood Supercharger, for example, is 21 cents after midnight, and 39 cents before 8am.

Using my brother's model 3, to cover that same distance, your friends civic would beat him if my brother has to pay more than 42 cents kwh. The peak rate at the West Hollywood Supercharger is 47 cents, so your friend would only be saving 4 bucks even if my brother supercharged during peak hours.... And that is with your friend stealing gas. If he were to buy gas at the Mission Viejo Costco, he'd have to pay $4.69/gallon, which means his tank would cost $58. Which means my brother would have him beat as long as he paid < 70 cents/kwh.

My brother said his home rate is between 17 and 24 cents kwh, from LADWP.
He just knows how to stack deals through apps and he somehow gets it down that low, he claims he can get $1-2 off gallon. But he never proved it to me that he really gets gas at $3/gal or $35 tank. Maybe he makes multiple accounts that’s what I think he does.

It’s probably easier owning an EV / Tesla than trying to find gas app hacks.

It’s probably easier owning an EV / Tesla than trying to find gas app hacks.
I also suspect his gas app hacks, if true, will eventually go away (nothing good lasts forever) or, he's not counting some external cost (eg. is he getting paid for advertising with a wrap?). You could also look for free charging options and play similar games.
Alternatively, you could get solar panels and pay for the next 25+ years of electricity up front.

So, just some sanity checks...

I have a 2000 sq. ft. single story house with gas stove, gas furnace and gas water heater. All other major appliances are electric (oven, clothes dryer). I have two refrigerators (kitchen and garage). I do not charge at home. TV is on 12 hours a day. Washer and dryer runs about 3-4 loads per week. My January PG&E bill shows I used almost 614kWh.

If your figures of 735kWh and $115 are correct for just your car, then that means you are being charged about $0.155/kWh. So a $192 bill, assuming that's just your electricity, means you should have consumed 1238kWh; ~500kWh for your house, excluding car charging. Furthermore, with 735kWh used to charge your car, and assuming that your average W/mi is about 290, that means you drove about 2,534 miles during the month. That seems kinda high but if you are commuting in SoCal and taking trips out of state, that may add up.

How am I doing so far?

Yes, charging a car at home, with the associated high mileage, can be a significant portion of your electricity bill. However, if you look at your figures and if my calculations are close, it cost you $192 to drive 2,534 miles. That's 7.5 cents per mile.

I'm looking at my charge stats, it says last 31 days. 735kwh & $115

My bill about $192. But I don't know if it matches up exactly with the Tesla app. But if it was close, does that mean $115 / $192 means the Tesla takes about 60% of all the electricity powered from the home?
Did you set/check the electricity rates (cost) are set up correctly in the app?

Are you interpreting what the app is saying correctly? I.e. are you looking at just the home charging cost? (the app shows home and Supercharging).

Reactions: ucmndd
I also suspect his gas app hacks, if true, will eventually go away (nothing good lasts forever) or, he's not counting some external cost (eg. is he getting paid for advertising with a wrap?). You could also look for free charging options and play similar games.
Alternatively, you could get solar panels and pay for the next 25+ years of electricity up front.
Plus how many miles out of his way is he driving just to get to that Costco that he uses to get those rates?