Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How come noone is talking about JDPower report from a few days ago?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a surprise for most if us (seeing how many issues are reported here), but I think it warrants a thread and discussion:

Tesla's Terrible JD Power Results Are Off The Chart

Actual report - https://www.jdpower.com/sites/default/files/file/2020-06/2020070 U.S. IQS.pdf

I think this part from the article is important:
Should you care about them as a consumer? Probably not! But they are as good a snapshot as any on where manufacturers’ build quality currently stands. Look at Genesis, for example, absolutely wiping the floor with every other premium automaker; Land Rover and Jaguar pretty predictably finishing near the bottom.

I think you're missing something. When you have a car that has a drive train that's years in the future, a misaligned piece of trim is not something that's all that important. When your car runs on solar power (mine does) instead of some type of fossil fuel that helps destroy the earth, a minor scratch in the paint is nothing. And if it actually IS something, the SC will fix it.

It's not that we are die-hard Tesla fans, but that we are NOT fans of inefficiently burning gas, diesel, or other forms of oil and letting the fumes destroy our atmosphere. If Honda built a comparable electric car, I imagine there would be a fan base for them, too. I suppose there is.

The problem is that when you try to post something "negative", you're posting something that's actually just not worth the time. And, truth be told, MOST Teslas are delivered in great condition. You see that blue picture in the upper left of this response? There were no dings, scratches, mis-alignments or missing parts on pickup. I contend that this is more the rule than the exception.

In other words, get your priorities straight. A small dent will happen in the first 5000 miles. A scratch will happen in another few thousand. To find a blemish in a new car when ten miles down the road a rock leaves a chip in your windshield, well, it's just not important. Things will happen. To insist that your "new" car has to be perfect, well, you have the right to refuse, but if someone has waited for months to get his new 3, they're just not going to be as picky as you think you would be.

I had this very same attitude when I was buying Toyotas for fifty years, and I have to say that in Toyota's first few years they delivered some pretty messed up cars. Being super picky is just being unrealistic.

I think you're missing something. When you have a car that has a drive train that's years in the future, a misaligned piece of trim is not something that's all that important. When your car runs on solar power (mine does) instead of some type of fossil fuel that helps destroy the earth, a minor scratch in the paint is nothing. And if it actually IS something, the SC will fix it.

It's not that we are die-hard Tesla fans, but that we are NOT fans of inefficiently burning gas, diesel, or other forms of oil and letting the fumes destroy our atmosphere. If Honda built a comparable electric car, I imagine there would be a fan base for them, too. I suppose there is.

The problem is that when you try to post something "negative", you're posting something that's actually just not worth the time. And, truth be told, MOST Teslas are delivered in great condition. You see that blue picture in the upper left of this response? There were no dings, scratches, mis-alignments or missing parts on pickup. I contend that this is more the rule than the exception.

In other words, get your priorities straight. A small dent will happen in the first 5000 miles. A scratch will happen in another few thousand. To find a blemish in a new car when ten miles down the road a rock leaves a chip in your windshield, well, it's just not important. Things will happen. To insist that your "new" car has to be perfect, well, you have the right to refuse, but if someone has waited for months to get his new 3, they're just not going to be as picky as you think you would be.

I had this very same attitude when I was buying Toyotas for fifty years, and I have to say that in Toyota's first few years they delivered some pretty messed up cars. Being super picky is just being unrealistic.

Not sure if you directed that response at me or not, because it doesnt apply to anything I have said.

So ill just re-iterate what I said, but in different words. Tesla has issues (warranted or not), they need to improve (there is always room for improvement). Articles like this put a spotlight on them (so that they are encouraged to improve). I dont see anything bad about it.

Also regarding the fossil fuels and atmosphere and all that. Maybe thats why you got a Tesla. I got a Tesla because its a cool new car that I can run off of my solar. Funny you mention Honda, I also have a Honda Clarity (PHEV with 55 mile battery), yes it has a 7 gallon tank (Total range ~350 miles). But I burn about a gallon of gas every 4 to 5 thousand miles. I am a fan of that car just as much as I am a fan of Tesla. Clarity had a few issues (one swirl, and 2 trim alignment problems). Did it stop me from buying it? Nope. Would scratches in paint, leaky seals, misaligned frunk/gate prevent me from buying it? Yes. And while it has alot of Tesla's features (like Autopilot), its a cheap car, I would still reject it.

Does anyone actually take J.D. Power seriously? Could care less which car manufacturer is on the bottom. It's a marketing firm. We all know it's bullshit.

J.D Power business model (for the car segment, they do others) is to blanket consumers with large lists of general questions. Then, when an auto-maker approaches them about a specific car model, they try to synthesize a category in which that model excels, and sell that "award" to the maker (for use in advertising). That's why so many commercials have these bizarre rankings like "Rated first in quality for cars sold on the first Thursday of the month" etc.

When I bought a new Ford just a few years ago, I received extensive questionnaires about the car, quality, problems etc. They kept coming for the first year... eventually I just ignored them.
Since buying a Tesla I have not had one.

The other reality of it is, most delivered vehicles are pretty good or even problem free. Tesla has easily delivered over 12000 Model Y’s, they’re issuing VINs over 24000. How many complaints do you actually see? It’s the same with any other car or consumer product, more people go online to complain than those who have a great experience. And we’re seeing a fair number of great experience posts lately. I’m one of them. Took deliver of white on white Model Y VIN #1759x today and it’s beautiful. Zero exterior issues. None. Only one interior issue the right rear seat sits about 2mm higher than the left and middle. Only noticeable if you’re looking for it.

With all the reports, I was admittedly a bit nervous. But when we showed up for the delivery appointment and our Y was sitting there ready to go and looked like everything was in alignment, it’s like a huge weight lifted. Took about 10 minutes to do all the paperwork and formalities and them making sure the car was transferred/ activated in my Tesla account. Then we were off. Actually spent about 45 minutes there both my wife and I looking it up and down inside and out and making sure everything worked. Set up driver profiles, got our phones set up with the key cards.

I ordered the HomeLink module and will schedule that to be installed when it gets here and will probably put in a request to see if they can address that rear seat, but I mean it’s so minor, my wife still can’t see the issue. And the service advisor also confirmed it’s a really common issue and ours was probably one of the least noticeable he’s seen, but they are aware and are trying to correct.

As for the JD Power stuff. To me it reads like when MotorTrend tried to smear Tesla after the launch of the Model 3. It’s more of a corporate/ media hit piece than truly informational. I think they’re taking offense of Tesla’s valuation in the market and that they don’t pay anyone (namely them) for advertising. MotorTrend came back around and declared the Model 3 their Car of the Year. JD Power’s customer surveys seem to indicate that the biggest complaints are about Tesla’s “infotainment” or interface system, so what does that tell us?

Last edited:
You know that's not true.

But I wonder how many other companies on that list have their buyers show up with checklists and spend an hour going over every square inch of the car?
It is absolutely true.

Maybe other companies on the list don’t have buyers going through the vehicles with a fine tooth comb because there is a service department who does it on behalf of the buyer before the vehicle reaches the showroom floor. Then they give it a second once-over as it is being prepared for sale/delivery.

Tesla does none of this and that is why the defect and reject rate is so high.