Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How define spot for parking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have Home link, because my garage is full.
I park on my driveway, near the closed garage door.
The driveway connects to the street where the street is making a turn.
The Tesla Y does not see the driveway as a parking space.
So I used 3" white gaffers tape to mark the spot. If I extend the side lines right up to the street, the car detects the space and will park. However, it parks near the street, blocking the sidewalk (not legal), rather than my desired spot near the garage door, as far from the street as possible.
How can I mark the pavement to prevent parking blocking the sidewalk, while still having the spot noticed by the slowly moving car? The desired spot is about half a car length off the street.

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: kevin1 and ucmndd
Of course. But self parking ought to work.
Self parking ought to work in a real parking space, but not the way you’re trying to use it. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through to avoid parking manually in your driveway.

If I navigate home using FSD, the car will stop in the street in front of my house, it doesn’t turn into the driveway. That isn’t supported yet.

Reactions: fsb1 and Bacalao
It will recognize and park in perpendicular parking spots across the street, but I'm not allowed to use those spots. I'd like it to recognize and park in my more complicated spot, even if it's not practical.

Someone told me the Tesla learns. I'm skeptical...

It will recognize and park in perpendicular parking spots across the street, but I'm not allowed to use those spots. I'd like it to recognize and park in my more complicated spot, even if it's not practical.

Someone told me the Tesla learns. I'm skeptical...
Your individual car doesn’t learn, but the data sent back to Tesla from the fleet is used to train the neural network that FSD uses. Trying to get one car to do something unusual isn’t going to impact the fleet. Maybe someday the car will be able to do what you want, preferably without having to use tape, but it’s not happening now.

Reactions: fsb1 and zoomer0056
Can you post a photo of the parking spot?

Since you are using tape, it's easy to experiment with different line patterns. For example, other shapes like a rectangle, or marking the adjacent parking spots even if you do not plan to use autopark on them. Hope you can find a line pattern that tesla detects correctly.

Maybe paint the sidewalk the same colour as the roadway (probably illegal, but you could use temporary paint as a test). Then with your white tape only on your property, the car should think the sidewalk is just part of the road - it's the same color now, and park accordingly.

I am sure one of us will visit you in jail to let you know how our other Tesals have learned from your experience!

Maybe Tesla could implement what3words so we could mark our 'home' or 'work' or parking spot or navigation destination more accurately.

I came across this tidbit when reading about Autopark in the manual: "The parking space must have at least three visible lines for the vehicle to park into, such as parking lines, road markings, or distinct curbs. Autopark may not work in a garage, for example, without three visible parking lines."

If you're still determined to get Autopark to work in your driveway, mark the parking spot so that it meets the "three visible lines" requirement.

• Informative
Reactions: fredzos
Can you post a photo of the parking spot?

Since you are using tape, it's easy to experiment with different line patterns. For example, other shapes like a rectangle, or marking the adjacent parking spots even if you do not plan to use autopark on them. Hope you can find a line pattern that tesla detects correctly.

yes...would be great to see photos of this current set up