Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How did certain people get in the “alpha” group?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has bothered me for a very long time. How did certain people (namely Tesla fans, influencers) get access to be in the alpha groups for the rollouts? It’s a bit infuriating. When I asked this on Reddit I got accused of being a hater and saying that these folks are giving free advertising for Tesla and deserve to have the latest software. Lol. I guess I don’t either, seeing as I paid $10K for it and so did a lot of other folks?

This has bothered me for a very long time. How did certain people (namely Tesla fans, influencers) get access to be in the alpha groups for the rollouts? It’s a bit infuriating. When I asked this on Reddit I got accused of being a hater and saying that these folks are giving free advertising for Tesla and deserve to have the latest software. Lol. I guess I don’t either, seeing as I paid $10K for it and so did a lot of other folks?

• Funny
Reactions: houstonian

I don't think Tesla officially confirmed it but yeah, it seems that the Tesla youtube influencers did get preferential treatment. It was not fair to everyone who paid $10k for FSD but it is what it is. Nothing we can do about it now.

Reactions: pilotSteve
We do have to consider how influential, good, accurate and timely YouTubers are. They live a life not many can live as, unstructured, pressured to post, scheduled, etc. YouTubers are expected to post as it happens, at anytime, good, accurate and relevant information on given topics. This pressure has caused many of the to not exist any longer. Let them be on the inside of Tesla and give us the best information we can get.

Farzad, Rob/Tesla Daily, Electeified, KimJava, etc
They do a great job and I would not want it.
Keep up the work guys.

Reactions: CyberGus and Dayreg
I wouldn’t say the YouTubers have alpha software builds. They just get the stuff a little earlier that the rest of us. When FSD was v8 or 9, I would call that alpha, but now the software has for the most part caught up with the rest of us, not really a big deal.

FYI, Musk is on v12 alpha build, and apparently it’s the most mind blowing, game changing, earth shattering build yet…

Reactions: MP3Mike
What part of it is infuriating?
It’s infuriating that it’s some arbitrary hidden thing. If this was some officially explained program/tiers I’d maybe feel better about it. But it sure reeks of “Mr Musk likes this person so add their VIN to the magic list that gets new builds first and weeks ahead of other folks”. That sort of approach is frankly, bullshit. For something we have all paid for and Tesla still has not fully delivered.

And there already is a beta group. This is different than staggered/ramped rollouts. The way the beta is handled is kind of a joke anyway, with no real way to log bugs or discuss things. Tweeting at Musk is not acceptable. He only listens to WMC and other folks typically. And that’s not the right way to do this anyhow. When they added the voice feedback feature it was a step in the right direction.

Sounds a bit like an entitlement complaint. Yet in several posts you want to get out of beta? Nobody technically Has to be in beta but the line technically had to start somewhere. Not sure how/why this is such an “infuriating “ issue.

How is it entitlement when we all bought FSD and still have yet to properly get it?

Also, I want out of beta because of how they’ve mishandled it. The beta branch gets so infrequent updates and is way behind the mainline. There’s no direct communication with us beta testers at all about anything. We just have to take things as they are and like it.

Reactions: pilotSteve
How is it entitlement when we all bought FSD and still have yet to properly get it?

Also, I want out of beta because of how they’ve mishandled it. The beta branch gets so infrequent updates and is way behind the mainline. There’s no direct communication with us beta testers at all about anything. We just have to take things as they are and like it.
So they mishandled it because you don’t feel “special” because you’re not first. ok. Take things as they are is kind of the definition of Beta and as a reminder it is a voluntary option defined as a work in process. I personally appreciate the few selected “special” folks that preflight the alpha software and providing video feedback. I know I and Most here would not want to commit that much effort/contribution to this.

Reactions: CyberGus
So they mishandled it because you don’t feel “special” because you’re not first. ok. Take things as they are is kind of the definition of Beta and as a reminder it is a voluntary option defined as a work in process. I personally appreciate the few selected “special” folks that preflight the alpha software and providing video feedback. I know I and Most here would not want to commit that much effort/contribution to this.
I didn’t say anything about feeling special. Not sure what you’re on about. We paid for FSD and it has not yet been delivered. This isn’t some feature they’re giving us out of the grace of their hearts.

What are the qualifications for the preflight folks? How do I apply? We know no answers for that and it’s unacceptable.