Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do i calculate my MPGe actuals? I drove 2000 miles and spent 85 on super charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never fill up from Empty. Otherwise, I would be walking to the gas station with a gas can! A 0.25 gallon discrepancy on a 12 gallon fill up(Tank is 14 gallons)is a 2% margin of error. 6 out of 300 miles to me, is negligible.
It is not always about you, people have cars with tank sizes other than 14 gallons, your 0.25 gallon variation at the top is a guess, and they do not always start from 1/4 empty or less.

Your calc is fine; it cannot however be relied upon to be particularly accurate.

Back in my ICE age I wanted 0.1% MPG accuracy so I would string fill-ups together and use the same pump. I also knew my total miles driven in the car since I bought it and the total gallons bought, each fill-up to 4 sig digits. Now that was some serious precision for trending, although I never bothered to check my odometer for accuracy.

Last edited:
I like to pull up my Teslamate app and show them this:
Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 1.13.39 PM.png

My last car got about 325 miles on a $40 fill up. I try to take advantage of the 4 free hours at Chargepoint locations and my average home kWh is .08

OP, do you do some of the charging at home? Because there is no way your Model 3 could go 2000 miles on $85 supercharging alone. Even if you could get the full rated miles, you will need around $130 of supercharging to go 2000 miles. For most people, it would be closer to $160 I think.

• Disagree
Reactions: SageBrush
OP, do you do some of the charging at home? Because there is no way your Model 3 could go 2000 miles on $85 supercharging alone. Even if you could get the full rated miles, you will need around $130 of supercharging to go 2000 miles. For most people, it would be closer to $160 I think.
Supercharging costs vary by state, and e.g. until recently in NM charging was per minute so it was possible to optimize the charging session and gain close to 2.5 kWh a minute. That would work out to less than 2 cents a mile.

I have paid $120 for close to 1000 kWh, so about 4500 miles. The values are from the 'scan my tesla' app and my history file at tesla.com

Last edited:
Supercharging costs vary by state, and e.g. until recently in NM charging was per minute so it was possible to optimize the charging session and gain close to 2.5 kWh a minute. That would work out to less than 2 cents a mile.

I have paid $120 for close to 1000 kWh, so about 4500 miles. The values are from the 'scan my tesla' app and my history file at tesla.com

Ah. I thought OP was charging in CA since that's his location, but I guess he could be on a road trip. For CA, it would be $135 minimum as our non-peak rate is like $0.26/kWh cheapest.

If the 2000 miles was on a vacation/pleasure trip, then some of the charging could have been free; as in L2 destination charging. It's why I suggested that cost/mi be the main factor of comparing operating efficiency, rather than MPGe.

Try this when asked by an ICE owner what the cost is to operate the car: "When was the last time that you received free gas, or even had the possibility of getting free gas?". That should be an eye-opener. Some people here get free charging at work, others can get free electricity at public charging stations, some even have free Supercharging. Yes, normal Supercharging rates can be 2X to 5X the cost of charging at home, and yes it's very hard to calculate what it actually costs to charge at home if one does not have a dedicated meter on the line and/or accurate record keeping.

There's a lot of variables when determining the overall efficiency to operate a vehicle; cost of electricity, cost of gas, actual MPG of the ICE, usage of A/C, cabin overheat protection, Dog Mode and phantom drain for the 3, weather conditions, etc. And I'm not even considering the additional costs to maintain an ICE, like oil changes. Boiling it down to a (somewhat) simple calculation of "how much did it cost to drive a known amount of miles" (odometer reading on the EV, not the estimated range of the battery), means you can compare ICE vs EV on somewhat common ground.

There's a lot of assumptions built into the MPGe figure you see on window stickers. Its main intent is to allow the consumer to rate the cars using a simple number; larger is better. Some of those assumptions don't accurately reflect real life. YMMV.

Its main intent is to allow the consumer to rate the cars using a simple number; larger is better.
MPG works for comparing two ICE, and MPGe works when comparing two EVs.
Anyone trying to use MPG in one car in comparison to MPGe in an EV is confused. It *truly* breaks down if the intent is to compare fueling costs since a "gallon" equivalent of electricity can cost in the USA anywhere from 70 cents* to 35x (2450)** that amount, and the distance an EV can travel on that "gallon" varies from about 65 to 130 miles. So cost/mile has a 70x range

*DIY home PV
** highest cost Electrify America

This question got me thinking... and after looking around the forum I realized what's going on. OP posted this recently: 2000 Mile Roadtrip from LA to Colorado. First long road trip (Pics)

If my speed reading is still up to par, several stops (charges) were made at L2 destination chargers, which I will assume were free. That would explain the $$$ difference.

• Informative
Reactions: Need
Nope

MPGe is fair useless and widely misunderstood as the above quotes show, but it is well defined. It is the miles travelled on 33.7 kWh of energy. It is useless because a kWh of electricity is quite different from a kWh of fossil fuel in terms of what it costs, how it is produced, the pollution it causes, and how much work it can perform.

OP: Do any of your friends know their MPG ? I'l guess not. Find out what they do know, and express in the same terms.I had this discussion a couple of years ago with a young girl who was given the old family truck. She was very frugal and she knew how much she spent a week for gasoline but had no idea if that was a lot or a little, or how many miles she drove.

If your friends are typical they will not know how much they drive, how much fuel they buy, or how much it costs them. If that is the case then don't waste your breath because they do not want to know.

Right, I somehow forgot the third definition of MPGe (energy equivalence). Indeed you are correct, it's fairly useless, and especially so for OP's question.

So there are three possible meanings to MPGe:
  1. Energy equivalence: This is the one usually on the sticker, and is a globally true number
  2. Cost equivalence: The only one that matter in relation to money, and depends on both local gas and electricity prices.
  3. Emissions equivalence: Matters only for "green" discussions, and is also highly locally variable.
The second is the one I was explaining, since that's what OP was wondering about.

It is not always about you, people have cars with tank sizes other than 14 gallons, your 0.25 gallon variation at the top is a guess, and they do not always start from 1/4 empty or less.

Your calc is fine; it cannot however be relied upon to be particularly accurate.

Back in my ICE age I wanted 0.1% MPG accuracy so I would string fill-ups together and use the same pump. I also knew my total miles driven in the car since I bought it and the total gallons bought, each fill-up to 4 sig digits. Now that was some serious precision for trending, although I never bothered to check my odometer for accuracy.

Sorry to inform, but you never had 4 significant digits. See: Gas pumps - Measurement Canada (that's Canada, but we generally have very similar rules to the US).

An allowed 0.5% variance in the dispensing system will not give you that many significant figures, and certainly not +-0.1% on that calculation. Still entirely fine for tracking purposes, just perhaps not as precise as you thought.

For so many reasons, optimising per-minute Supercharger cost is unrealistic (it's even outside of our control sometimes due to station issues). You can only pull 150kW for so long, and there are additional factors.

Especially now that Tesla charges for gross energy delivered like everyone else (not just net energy added to the pack), there are multiple losses to consider: preconditioning, battery heating during charge, and other auxiliary power (climate control, pumps, etc.). Any optimal $/kWh charges prior to this change would no longer be achievable.

Since you mentioned ScanMyTesla specifically, I can almost guarantee you're tracking net energy and not gross energy. You'd have to do some math to calculate the actual energy delivered during the session. So you're probably underestimating true cost, though by how much is unknown since we cannot see into the past.

Looking at my notes, I suggest that 12% is added even for per-kWh stations (though this has a number of variables). In my experience with per-minute stations (in which I have optimised for charge rate since I was using ABRP), these end up universally costing more per kWh per charge than the actual per-kWh stations in real life travel use-cases.

If the 2000 miles was on a vacation/pleasure trip, then some of the charging could have been free; as in L2 destination charging. It's why I suggested that cost/mi be the main factor of comparing operating efficiency, rather than MPGe.

This is why I linked to the Wiki article, but failed to show how that applies in hindsight. I struggle with it because free charging is definitely a thing, but personally I find I can't use it during trips (contrary to suggestions in the community, I do not plan trips around free overnight charging - they often require staying at more expensive places anyways, so is it really free?).

If we use this formula:
db1b0ec64c92fb1f51a7dc9ba76df487299c08f2

You can substitute some known values assuming a new Model 3 LR AWD. Total usable capacity would be about 74.1kWh for 322 rated miles. If you are using/charging 80% (e.g. 10-90%), that's 59.3kWh. Now, we just have to figure out the actual $/kWh rate.

I will take an example in my history: $0.27/kWh in Colorado.

This is mostly trivial to calculate, but in my experience you'll have the following:
  • About 2kWh for preconditioning on the way
  • About 4kWh for heating while charging
  • About 1kWh for other various things (climate control, pumps, computers)
So to deliver the 59.3kWh needed to charge out LR pack by 80%, we actually need about 66.3kWh delivered during the charge. This works out to $17.90, and a rate equivalent of $0.302/kWh net. That's about 12% over the $0.27/kWh otherwise advertised.

Now, that was for 80% of the range, so 257.6 rated miles. Just found $1.73/gal for Denver. Now, let's plug that all into the formula!
MPGe = (( $1.73/gal / $0.302/kWh ) / (59.3kWh) ) x 257.6
MPGe = 24.9

Of course, this is assuming rated conditions. Travelling faster or in winter would consume rated miles faster than miles actually traveled, so the MPGe would be worse.

This also calculates out to $0.0695/mi.

This question got me thinking... and after looking around the forum I realized what's going on. OP posted this recently: 2000 Mile Roadtrip from LA to Colorado. First long road trip (Pics)

If my speed reading is still up to par, several stops (charges) were made at L2 destination chargers, which I will assume were free. That would explain the $$$ difference.

Oh dang, so it turns out my Colorado charging example is actually especially relevant to OP. Nice! The only overnight charging I got was on my way back through Washington (by accident actually, the chargers weren't on PlugShare yet and the hotel didn't advertise them).

Indeed, $85 for 2000 miles isn't super representative due to the free charging. Definitely closer to $140 would be realistic, had it all been Supercharging. The truth, of course, is somewhere in between (to account for both home charging and free charging).

Sorry to inform, but you never had 4 significant digits. See: Gas pumps - Measurement Canada (that's Canada, but we generally have very similar rules to the US).

An allowed 0.5% variance in the dispensing system will not give you that many significant figures, and certainly not +-0.1% on that calculation. Still entirely fine for tracking purposes, just perhaps not as precise as you thought.
This is getting arcane ... even for the ICE age. But as a drive down memory lane, I grabbed this from the internet
The precision of the meter is determined by the manufacturing tolerance on the seals, the size of each piston's fluid displacement, and the angular resolution of the rotary encoder. A standard modern gasoline meter should have no trouble measuring quantities around a teaspoon. To be clear here, what I mean is that the meter can tell the difference between 1.000 gallons and 1.001 gallons. It will register a difference in volume between those two quantities of fluid.

So the pump is precise to 0.001 gallon, because it can measure and record volumes in increments that small.

But the pump is not accurate to one thousandth of a gallon:

In the United States, the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) specifies the accuracy of the measurements in Handbook 44. Table 3.30 specifies the accuracy at 0.3% meaning that a 10-US-gallon (37.9 L; 8.3 imp gal) purchase could vary between 9.97 US gal (37.7 L; 8.3 imp gal) and 10.03 US gal (38.0 L; 8.4 imp gal) as to the actual amounts at the delivery temperature of the gasoline.

I admit that I assumed the inaccuracy was random rather than a systemic bias, and that over a series of fill-ups the inaccuracy would even out. Since the meter had 3 sig digits of precision and I was filling up ~ 10 gallons at a time, 4 sig digits of precision was obtained.

This only matters to a Prius ;)

Since you mentioned ScanMyTesla specifically, I can almost guarantee you're tracking net energy and not gross energy.
I'm pretty sure of the same, so game on:

Tesla gives me a bill, and the app tells me how many kWh entered the battery.
The only inaccuracy worth mentioning that I ignored is battery resistance losses but the high degree of parallelism in the pack reduces the losses to a small fraction even at 400 Amps charging

It depends on the average price of gas in your area. In my area, the cheap gas is about $2.30/gallon. So, $85 would buy about 37 gallons of gas (85/2.30). 2000 miles on 37 gallons would be about 54 miles per gallon (2000/37). I believe the EPA rates MPGe based on an average price per gallon of $3.17. At that rate, $85 would buy you 26.8 gallons, for an average MPGe of about 75. Supercharging will likely cost you more per KWh than charging at home will.

MPGe has nothing to do with price of gasoline or the price of electricity. It is calculated based on the energy content of a gallon of gasoline.

Reactions: SageBrush