Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I get FSD back after service?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had FSD for about a year in my 2019 Model 3. I had joined the beta, waited patiently, and struggled to keep a high-90's Safety Score (at the time, the rumor was that you had to have 100 to get selected. I couldn't get above 98. I eventually got tired of driving like a grandma and gave up, only to subsequently get selected lol).

All was good. I loved using it daily. The only thing was, I would lose the ability to use it, periodically, with one of the sensors apparently (I was told) getting "stuck in a loop". The fix was a 12v reset. My car is coming out of warranty this week, so I asked them to see if they could finally figure out the root of this repeated issue, so I left the car with them for a day.

They ended up replacing the computer. Which is fine, but the technician casually adds afterwords, "oh, but you've lost FSD. You'll have to wait in the queue again and do the safety score thing again".

WTF!!!?!???

Anyway, that was a week ago. The Autopilot screen says I'm in the queue, but also says to click to join, and I don't remember if that's normal (see screenshot). Concerning is that I have no safety score section in the app, so I'm worried I'm stuck in limbo. Anyone else go through this?

Attachments

• IMG_20230323_121106.jpg
    IMG_20230323_121106.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 131
The package DOES NOT include the FSD Beta PERIOD.
"Beta" doesn't have the absolute definition you seem to assert. There's a lot of moving parts here that go beyond you personal (even popular) definition of what the term means. Just because one segment (software dev) liberally uses a phrase doesn't mean it has any legal effect in another segment (automotive). The marketing was clearly such that I was paying for a feature that would be coming, presumably in a reasonable time, and I feel I *am* entitled to accessing it at every stage of readiness along the way. You can disagree with that all you want, but it doesn't make you (or Tesla) right. Even courts will disagree on this. Your regional or state/provincial or national/federal courts may make a decision, but that won't impact mine, and vice versa. There is no "period" when having these discussions.
Tesla also clearly states you DON’T get Autosteer on City Streets at this time.
Similar to the term "beta", you over-value marketing and your own personal definition of the words being used.
And no matter how much you and I want it to happen Autosteer on City Streets is not a current feature.
I'm not understanding why you think this is true. I mean, it is true for me... NOW... but up until a week ago, I very much had what any reasonable person would define as "autosteer on city streets". Despite Tesla's marketing and your interpretation of same, my car would navigate, including steering and stopping and starting, on city streets.
I would have been upset about losing FSD Beta as well...but if I was having an issue with the car and they said they were going to replace the computer, I would have taken that new computer in a heartbeat (1), especially if my warranty was about to run out... Two reasons...first, the warranty on the new computer may end up being more than what is left on the car warranty(jurisdiction/country specific here) (2), and second and probably more importantly, they attempted to fix your warranty problem via a new computer so if you still end up having the same problem, Tesla should still be on the warranty hook for fixing the problem that they failed to fix while under warranty. (3)
There's a bit to unpack there. I added numbers to your quote above and I'll address them in order below

1) I should have been advised, first, that I would be losing FSD. It was clear that the new computer wasn't just an ATTEMPT at fixing the problem and, ironically, the problem was the period loss of FSD that was easily fixed with a 12v reset. Otherwise I had no issue with my computer. Arguably, then, this "fix" caused the very problem it was intended to fix.

2) There's no indication that the warranty is extended in any way by getting a new component under warranty.

3) I believe the same would be true whether or not the computer got replaced. My specific issue was well documented, so if they had done yet another 12v reset and some diagnostics and decided to leave it at that, and it happened again post-warranty and a new computer was the proper fix, then I believe I would have still be entitled to it under the warranty at the time the issue started.

I fully acknowledge that Tesla was doing the 'right thing' by replacing a component as a diagnostic procedure even though they admit there was no real indication it would improve anything. I don't blame them for the attempt. Where the failure lies is not informing me of the consequences and allowing me to make a decision on that. Kind of like... you go to a dentist with some pain in your tooth. The dentist takes x-rays and finds nothing wrong. He has no explanation for your tooth pain. He decides to pull your tooth and provide you with a free replacement, but that replacement causes 2 other teeth to hurt. I appreciate the gesture, but...

Look, this isn't the end of the world. I'm just missing my FSD that I was enjoying for over a year and which is WAY better than the AP I have now. Hopefully it resolves soon and yes, I feel I shouldn't have to be at the back of the line like everyone else. Been there, done that.

Upvote 0