Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I get FSD back after service?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had FSD for about a year in my 2019 Model 3. I had joined the beta, waited patiently, and struggled to keep a high-90's Safety Score (at the time, the rumor was that you had to have 100 to get selected. I couldn't get above 98. I eventually got tired of driving like a grandma and gave up, only to subsequently get selected lol).

All was good. I loved using it daily. The only thing was, I would lose the ability to use it, periodically, with one of the sensors apparently (I was told) getting "stuck in a loop". The fix was a 12v reset. My car is coming out of warranty this week, so I asked them to see if they could finally figure out the root of this repeated issue, so I left the car with them for a day.

They ended up replacing the computer. Which is fine, but the technician casually adds afterwords, "oh, but you've lost FSD. You'll have to wait in the queue again and do the safety score thing again".

WTF!!!?!???

Anyway, that was a week ago. The Autopilot screen says I'm in the queue, but also says to click to join, and I don't remember if that's normal (see screenshot). Concerning is that I have no safety score section in the app, so I'm worried I'm stuck in limbo. Anyone else go through this?

Attachments

• IMG_20230323_121106.jpg
    IMG_20230323_121106.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 131
You are likely on a newer software version also and will have to wait on Beta to pass you. What is your firmware version? If higher than 22.44.x you are out of luck for now. Don't install any updates until beta passes you.

Unfortunately it will probably be a month or more before we get a 23.x.x branch of Beta.

Upvote 0
I'm on 2022.44.30.2 which, according to notateslaapp is installed on zero point zero percent of the fleet lol.

If I understand what you're saying, then beta is already passed me, right?
No you want to be behind Beta since you can't go backwards. You are in good shape and will likely get 22.45.12 (Beta 11.3.3) after it rolls out to everyone.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Upvote 0
Ok, so the fact I don't have a safety score section in my app and/or that it says I'm in the queue but also says to click to join (as per picture) isn't an issue?

Thanks.
The safety score system is no longer a contingency for FSD. When they rolled out the beta for all a few months ago (before the recall) they removed the score requirement. I understand that the safety score is still used in some capacity - not a factor in getting a spot in the queue like it used to be. Folks with a safety score of 80 were getting it when they rolled it out to all.

I would be super pissed off if I was you with how the service department handled your FSD situation. Especially being that new version of software that came with your new computer is eligible for the beta. It would be different if they gave you back your car and it was past the 2022.45.X branch.

You should make a big deal out of this with Tesla, they will compensate you in same way if you really press.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Upvote 0
Thanks. I thought I recalled reading that the safety score was axed, but the tech mentioned it so I was expecting to see it in my app again. That's why I gave it a few days before posting... just thought things has to sync.

I am pretty pissed off with losing what I paid and waited a long time for. I also understand the tech was trying to do me a solid by replacing the computer before my warranty ran out. Honestly though, has he told me this would be a consequence, I would have passed. Having to manually do a 12v reset a few times a year isn't a big deal, and there's no guarantee that the computer swap even fixes that.

I have sent an email to my local contact. We'll see where that goes. If I get no satisfaction in a month, I'll consider filing a claim with the CRT. It is a provincial tribunal here, and Tesla doesn't bother showing up, so as long as I convince the arbiter that my claim is fair, I'll get a default judgement. Several people here did with getting FSD refunded, and one person (rumor) got an amount in lieu of lifetime premium connectivity when they took that away in Canada (later have it back)

Upvote 0
Ok, so the fact I don't have a safety score section in my app and/or that it says I'm in the queue but also says to click to join (as per picture) isn't an issue?

Thanks.
The screen shot shows that you’re in the queue, and that’s how it’s supposed to look. It would be better if the button text changed once you requested Beta, but I don’t think Tesla implemented it that way.

Upvote 0
Actually not a point of view but a fact. Here is what you pay for and Beta access is not part of the FSD Capability Package.

View attachment 921502
Autopilot is in Beta as well as half a dozen other things. So you're saying when they take those away, after having them for years, you don't have a reason to be upset?

Also, if you looked at that same FSD site a year ago, everyone was supposed to have Auto steer on city streets by the end of 2021 or 2022. Can't keep moving the goal posts and expect the kickers to be happy about it. I think OP's original post is warranted.

Reactions: bcsteeve
Upvote 0
Autopilot is in Beta as well as half a dozen other things. So you're saying when they take those away, after having them for years, you don't have a reason to be upset?

Also, if you looked at that same FSD site a year ago, everyone was supposed to have Auto steer on city streets by the end of 2021 or 2022. Can't keep moving the goal posts and expect the kickers to be happy about it. I think OP's original post is warranted.
Obviously you did not read my original posts #4 and #6 where I offered the OP constructive info.

My post #6 is about facts and not emotion.

Autosteer on City Streets COMING SOON. That means it is NOT now part of the package. So the package DOES NOT include the FSD Beta PERIOD. If Tesla chooses to give people limited access to this then that is 100% at Tesla's discretion and NOT an entitlement.

Doesn't matter that it has said it was coming soon or by end of year since it has always had the disclaimer below it (....dependent on achieving reliability...").

I agree and empathize with the OP and would also be VERY unhappy if I lost Beta access. I hope the OP gets Beta back SOON. Tesla has done a HORRIBLE job conveying and implementing the Beta program. Like people that bought new Tesla's and lost Beta access. How obtuse is that?

I'm simply stating that factually Tesla doesn't OWE anyone FSD Beta access no matter how passionate you, I or the OP is about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird
Upvote 0
Obviously you did not read my original posts #4 and #6 where I offered the OP constructive info.

My post #6 is about facts and not emotion.

Autosteer on City Streets COMING SOON. That means it is NOT now part of the package. So the package DOES NOT include the FSD Beta PERIOD. If Tesla chooses to give people limited access to this then that is 100% at Tesla's discretion and NOT an entitlement.

Doesn't matter that it has said it was coming soon or by end of year since it has always had the disclaimer below it (....dependent on achieving reliability...").

I agree and empathize with the OP and would also be VERY unhappy if I lost Beta access. I hope the OP gets Beta back SOON. Tesla has done a HORRIBLE job conveying and implementing the Beta program. Like people that bought new Tesla's and lost Beta access. How obtuse is that?

I'm simply stating that factually Tesla doesn't OWE anyone FSD Beta access no matter how passionate you, I or the OP is about it.
Stop hiding behind the Beta tag. 50% of the software on the car is in Beta.

Also, you can't screenshot today's definition of FSD if the person bought it years ago. That's massaging the narrative to fit your view.

My FSD will eventually include Tesla Network Ride Sharing. Changing the definition of what FSD is, doesn't absolve anyone of that. I know I'll never get it in my car's lifetime, so no need to argue this. It's just an example.

Upvote 0
Stop hiding behind the Beta tag. 50% of the software on the car is in Beta.....
Why am I responding again???? 🥴 Waiting on 11.3.x myself and also believe the quicker I and other current users get it the quicker the OP gets it too.😢 Since it also contains the NHSTA corrections and a LEGAL reason (since Tesla agreed to no new installs until fixed) the OP couldn’t get it. Which is the whole point of the thread.

The word Beta is irrelevant.

Tesla states what you get when you have the FSD Capability Package. Things like NoA, Autopark, Smart Summon, etc. Tesla also clearly states you DON’T get Autosteer on City Streets at this time.

Conjecture: Tesla is close to integrating Autosteer on City Streets into all current software stacks just like the other features and will change the Coming Soon to an included feature. However that is NOT the case today. And no matter how much you and I want it to happen Autosteer on City Streets is not a current feature.

Upvote 0
Why am I responding again???? 🥴 Waiting on 11.3.x myself and also believe the quicker I and other current users get it the quicker the OP gets it too.😢 Since it also contains the NHSTA corrections and a LEGAL reason (since Tesla agreed to no new installs until fixed) the OP couldn’t get it. Which is the whole point of the thread.

The word Beta is irrelevant.

Tesla states what you get when you have the FSD Capability Package. Things like NoA, Autopark, Smart Summon, etc. Tesla also clearly states you DON’T get Autosteer on City Streets at this time.

Conjecture: Tesla is close to integrating Autosteer on City Streets into all current software stacks just like the other features and will change the Coming Soon to an included feature. However that is NOT the case today. And no matter how much you and I want it to happen Autosteer on City Streets is not a current feature.

Tesla has been hiding behind "regulatory approvals" for nearly 7 years. I couldn't care less these days...just saying OP is justified in being upset. That's all.

Upvote 0
I would have been upset about losing FSD Beta as well...but if I was having an issue with the car and they said they were going to replace the computer, I would have taken that new computer in a heartbeat, especially if my warranty was about to run out... Two reasons...first, the warranty on the new computer may end up being more than what is left on the car warranty(jurisdiction/country specific here), and second and probably more importantly, they attempted to fix your warranty problem via a new computer so if you still end up having the same problem, Tesla should still be on the warranty hook for fixing the problem that they failed to fix while under warranty.

Reactions: Yelobird
Upvote 0