Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I replace Ultrasonic Sensor on rear quarter panel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone damaged my right rear QP paint and ultrasonic sensor in a hit and run. A replace sensor is about $50 on eBay in my color vs the $2500 Lyft wants to charge me for a deductible. Trying to search for replacement videos just brings up irrelevant and unhelpful content about Tesla dropping the sensors in current production models. Anyone know how to access the QP sensor? Is it easy to do?

The sensors are located inside the bumper cover.

To remove the bumper cover you can follow the steps performed in this towing hitch install video:

- At 7:47, you can see the most tricky bold hidden that need to be removed, and you will need to lift you car to access it.

Note: This youtuber has a car lift, but a floor jack can work, however you will need to secure the car before going under the car.

- At the 9:00 you can see the connector used for the ultrasonic sensors.

Note: This youtuber use a cart to carry the bumper, but you can just put some carboard boxes under your car
to avoid dropping the bumper cover to the floor and to stress too much the wires going to the ultrasonic sensors connector.

Last edited:

To remove the bumper cover you can follow the steps performed in this towing hitch install video:

- At 7:47, you can see the most tricky bold hidden that need to be removed, and you will need to lift you car to access it.

Note: This youtuber has a car lift, but a floor jack can work, however you will need to secure the car before going under the car.

Note: This youtuber use a cart to carry the bumper, but you can just put some carboard boxes under your car
to avoid dropping the bumper cover to the floor and to stress too much the wires going to the ultrasonic sensors connector.

Thanks, I’ll give this a shot if Lyft insurance ends up expecting me to pay a deductible! It’s odd that AP and parking features are much more limited without one working ultrasonic sensor. Isn’t the full stack supposed to be vision based by now since there are cars without ultrasonic sensors?

Someone damaged my right rear QP paint and ultrasonic sensor in a hit and run. A replace sensor is about $50 on eBay in my color vs the $2500 Lyft wants to charge me for a deductible. Trying to search for replacement videos just brings up irrelevant and unhelpful content about Tesla dropping the sensors in current production models. Anyone know how to access the QP sensor? Is it easy to do?
You can follow the guide from the Tesla Service Manual, see attached.

Also, you can access the online Service Manual (Tesla Service) - using your Tesla account credentials (free 1 year subscription).

Good Luck.

Attachments

• Model 3 Sensor - Parking Distance - Outer - Rear (Remove and Replace).pdf
    953.5 KB · Views: 179
Reactions: ChaoticNeutral

I’m getting mixed info about whether I need to purchase “jack pads” to use a floor jack. Some say they are needed, other say Tesla techs don’t even use them. What are your thoughts? I had hoped software updates would’ve made the USS redundant for HWY AP/NOA but car will only change lanes under the FSD stack until I replace this sensor.