Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I set my car to not auto lock and honk at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s all about layers. There is no one single security feature that will prevent most thefts in a home. Locking the car while parked in the garage is absolutely recommended. As I stated above, most garages are ridiculously easy to break into. At least if the car is locked there’s a good chance of them setting off the alarm if they try to ransack it or steal it.

If you need to get something out of your car (which really happens how often??) just bring your phone. It’s not really that arduous and it allows you one more more layer of security.
Nah. Having an option is good. In the ridiculously unlikely scenario that they manage to break into my locked garage, manage to get the car out of the garage without a key AND I don't hear any of this.... Well that's what insurance is for.

In the extremely likely scenario that I forget my phone inside when I run out to my car.... Ill leave it unlocked.

Nah. Having an option is good. In the ridiculously unlikely scenario that they manage to break into my locked garage, manage to get the car out of the garage without a key AND I don't hear any of this.... Well that's what insurance is for.

In the extremely likely scenario that I forget my phone inside when I run out to my car.... Ill leave it unlocked.
Suit yourself. I think you’re underestimating how hard it is to break into your garage and how often you need to go get something out of your car. And they don’t necessarily want to steal the car but ransack it.

Suit yourself. I think you’re underestimating how hard it is to break into your garage and how often you need to go get something out of your car. And they don’t necessarily want to steal the car but ransack it.
Yet again. If they break into my locked garage... A locked window isn't stopping anyone.

I've have never personally heard of anyone in all my years on the planet that had their car broken into in their locked attached garage.

I've had to run back inside to grab my phone twice this week. Sooooo no I'm not over or underestimating anything

Yet again. If they break into my locked garage... A locked window isn't stopping anyone.

I've have never personally heard of anyone in all my years on the planet that had their car broken into in their locked attached garage.

I've had to run back inside to grab my phone twice this week. Sooooo no I'm not over or underestimating anything
I never said a locked car window would STOP them. But if they force their way into the car it will most likely set off the alarm. Assuming you don’t have an alarm on the garage door (or the actual drive thru garage door, which is notoriously easy to open), then the car alarm may scare them off.

Also, if the car is unlocked and gets stolen (even in the locked garage) the insurance company could reduce the amount they pay.

And last but not least, most people keep their garage door opener in the car (along with registration/insurance that has personally identifiable information). So if they ransack the car and take that, they may be able to easily get back in later.

Every security consultant on the planet recommends locking the car in the garage.

My car doesn't honk when it locks, so this must be a setting somewhere, I'll dig around a bit and see if I can find where this setting is located. I checked the Owner's Manual and couldn't find it in there. As stated several times in this thread the next FW release is going to allow you to disable auto lock based on your home GPS location, so this should help you in that regard.

I have setup multiple Google Assistant routines that use Auto Voice and Tasker automation apps with Tesla plugins so that I can issue google voice commands to lock/unlock the doors or pop the trunk/frunk or vent/close the windows. I put a google mini speaker in my garage so in the event that I don't have my phone in my pocket I can just issue a voice command to unlock the doors. Pretty handy in this situation.

On the Locks page there is a setting for Lock Confirmation Sound. I believe this is what causes the horn to honk when the car is locked, when the setting is enabled. On my car it's disabled which is why I don't hear a honk when the car locks.

Last edited:
I never said a locked car window would STOP them. But if they force their way into the car it will most likely set off the alarm. Assuming you don’t have an alarm on the garage door (or the actual drive thru garage door, which is notoriously easy to open), then the car alarm may scare them off.

Also, if the car is unlocked and gets stolen (even in the locked garage) the insurance company could reduce the amount they pay.

And last but not least, most people keep their garage door opener in the car (along with registration/insurance that has personally identifiable information). So if they ransack the car and take that, they may be able to easily get back in later.

Every security consultant on the planet recommends locking the car in the garage.
Odd hill to die on. No insurance will not lower your payout if your car is in your locked garage. If YOURS does, stop using a crappy insurance company.

Yet again.. they break into my garage I'm going to hear that. Car has home link... So they gotta steal the whole car to get that. Personal information? Everything on the registration is available on the county tax website. I wouldn't keep other personal information in there.

And yet again. In my entire life, I've never known of anyone or even heard of anyone getting their car stolen out of a locked garage.

• Disagree
Reactions: jkdman123
Odd hill to die on. No insurance will not lower your payout if your car is in your locked garage. If YOURS does, stop using a crappy insurance company.

Yet again.. they break into my garage I'm going to hear that. Car has home link... So they gotta steal the whole car to get that. Personal information? Everything on the registration is available on the county tax website. I wouldn't keep other personal information in there.

And yet again. In my entire life, I've never known of anyone or even heard of anyone getting their car stolen out of a locked garage.
I’m not dying on any hill. I’m simply following the guidelines of EVERY home security expert. You’re the one deciding to skip a ridiculously easy security measure for the sake of convenience.

I’m not dying on any hill. I’m simply following the guidelines of EVERY home security expert. You’re the one deciding to skip a ridiculously easy security measure for the sake of convenience.

Cool. I'll let you know when I hear of someone having their car stolen/broken into out of their locked garage. I'll probably be dead before it happens but I'll be sure to let you know.

• Disagree
Reactions: jkdman123
Cool. I'll let you know when I hear of someone having their car stolen/broken into out of their locked garage. I'll probably be dead before it happens but I'll be sure to let you know.
LOL. Sure thing. Boy, I’m sure Glad that anonymous people on the internet who know more than established security professionals post on this board. What would we do without you??

• Disagree
Reactions: Stickboy46
In your Tesla: Settings->Locks. Scroll down and check box: Exclude home.
Good info! Thanks.

My neighbor had their car stolen out of their locked garage. The thieves broke into the house, snatched the car keys from the kitchen then opened the garage from the inside and drove the car out. Car was taken on a joy ride and abandoned. It does happen.
I don’t know if that guy wants to restart an internet argument from over 2 years ago 😆. But I guess it’s true, the internet never forgets!