Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I set my car to not auto lock and honk at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a garage at home and get home late at night after work sometimes. It’s kind of annoying that when the car is parked in the garage and I walk away, it honks and locks the doors.

I want it to do this everywhere else but home. Anybody know how to fix this? I figure with geofencing for homelink and sentry mode, it could learn this lock function too.

You can't do that yet. One thing you could do is to create a "Garage" profile and disable auto walk away lock in the profile. And when you get home, manually switch to that profile. I have never tried it as I just let my car locked in the garage, but I read it works for others.
Right, this will work. Honk on lock should have the same settings as Sentry (disable for work, home, favorites) at the least. But not yet.

Reactions: strykeroz
one of the things I was told to get done at delivery (on my old vw, some 16 years ago) was to have them use the VAG-tool (volks/audi obd style thing) to change some nvram settings that only the tech (or someone with the right access) could do. turning off the horn ACK on keyfob lock/unlock was one of the things I had them do and I didn't sign the papers until they did this work ;)

there is no obd tool for tesla, like that. we can't peek and poke into memory and change settings. kind of sucks that we're stuck with the ever-changing UI and if there's no button for it, that's it - no-go for us.

I have a garage at home and get home late at night after work sometimes. It’s kind of annoying that when the car is parked in the garage and I walk away, it honks and locks the doors.

I want it to do this everywhere else but home. Anybody know how to fix this? I figure with geofencing for homelink and sentry mode, it could learn this lock function too.
Is the issue the locking or the honk? Just because you’re car is in the garage, you should still lock it. It’s very common for thieves to break into a garage and ransack the cars cause most people have a false sense of security parking there.

Many garages are easy to get into. If fact, you should take some steps to secure yours, if you haven’t already.

It seems to be an option as of 2020.24 , hopefully you will have that soon

You can disable the horn confirmation now. Upcoming Update 2020.24 should allow us to exclude our home location from auto locking.
80A7266A-3A28-41AE-BC19-DD874641002A.jpeg

If it's in a garage, you don't want it honking. It's also not as important to be locked if it's in a locked garage. Also sometimes I'll go out to my car to get something but my phone is inside. So I have to go back in to get it to unlock the car
You can have it lock/unlock without honking.
A friend of mine had his car stolen from inside a locked garage, while he was asleep

Yes but you have to turn that honk feature off every single time you come home unless you also don't want it to honk while you are away.

Also if they break into a locked garage then they will steal the car even if it's locked.
It’s all about layers. There is no one single security feature that will prevent most thefts in a home. Locking the car while parked in the garage is absolutely recommended. As I stated above, most garages are ridiculously easy to break into. At least if the car is locked there’s a good chance of them setting off the alarm if they try to ransack it or steal it.

If you need to get something out of your car (which really happens how often??) just bring your phone. It’s not really that arduous and it allows you one more more layer of security.