Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I stop audio starting when I open door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's probably been five years since I visited this forum (my Tesla S currently has over 128,000 miles on it), so I figured I'd come back and see if anyone knows how to solve this problem. I listen to audio books from my iPhone while driving. The problem is that when I approach the car, whenever I open ANY door the audio starts up immediately (at low volume), so I miss significant portions of the book I'm listening to.

I got a new Tesla S loaner the last time my car was being serviced and the problem didn't seem to occur with the newer car, but I didn't really have it long enough to verify for sure. I've checked for any setting that would prevent audio (be it music, audio books, etc) from playing automatically, but haven't found one.

This has annoyed me for years. Anyone have a solution? Thanks!

• Helpful
Reactions: Bruno-BEL
I press pause on podcasts (the in-car tunedin variety) just before I exit...

And they stay paused when I open the car to get in next time to drive, it's not playing.

I have to un-pause to get it playing again. ...Now as I'm saying this I have to re-think if that's the whole truth... I know it's not playing when I enter and could be sitting paused from where I last left off... but it could also be reset to the beginning of the podcast and paused there... I'll pay more attention next time to see what's the case.

M3 owner here, That's the way it stil works. Must pause any audio; turn off any environment setting or it all automatically comes back on on door open (which door doesn'tt matter).

I also find the lack of location aware "walk away lock" feature lacking. I and many Tesla owners (if not most) park in garages and don't want the care to lock when I walk in-doors.

M3 owner here, That's the way it stil works. Must pause any audio; turn off any environment setting or it all automatically comes back on on door open (which door doesn'tt matter).

I also find the lack of location aware "walk away lock" feature lacking. I and many Tesla owners (if not most) park in garages and don't want the care to lock when I walk in-doors.

What do you mean environment setting?

Tesla S has an option to not auto-lock when walking away, which is supposed to keep it open.

It would be *ideal* if the auto-lock was geo-located and trainable that way (to not auto-lock at home).

I press pause on podcasts (the in-car tunedin variety) just before I exit...

And they stay paused when I open the car to get in next time to drive, it's not playing.

I have to un-pause to get it playing again. ...Now as I'm saying this I have to re-think if that's the whole truth... I know it's not playing when I enter and could be sitting paused from where I last left off... but it could also be reset to the beginning of the podcast and paused there... I'll pay more attention next time to see what's the case.

That’s what’s always bothered me. I always pause before I exit, but it always starts up when I get back in the car. Seems like this doesn’t happen to everyone, which gives me a ray of hope that there is a solution.

Corollary problem is that the ebook or podcast or whatever starts up after a phone call even when it wasn’t playing before the call.

It's probably been five years since I visited this forum (my Tesla S currently has over 128,000 miles on it), so I figured I'd come back and see if anyone knows how to solve this problem. I listen to audio books from my iPhone while driving. The problem is that when I approach the car, whenever I open ANY door the audio starts up immediately (at low volume), so I miss significant portions of the book I'm listening to.

I got a new Tesla S loaner the last time my car was being serviced and the problem didn't seem to occur with the newer car, but I didn't really have it long enough to verify for sure. I've checked for any setting that would prevent audio (be it music, audio books, etc) from playing automatically, but haven't found one.

This has annoyed me for years. Anyone have a solution? Thanks!

I have the same problem with audio books on my phone.
The best way round this less than ideal situation is to keep Bluetooth on your phone off. Then it won't start playing til you connect the audio back up.

This has been a long time problem first introduced with sleep mode in 2013.

The media player software appears to have a problem with saving and restoring current state (selected source, current station/file/position) when the vehicle resumes from sleep mode.

There used to be a setting to disable sleep mode. When Tesla changed that to force all vehicles to sleep overnight - that eliminated the only way to avoid this error.

And now, it appears all vehicles enter sleep mode more frequently after the vehicle has been parked.

Unfortunately it's been a higher priority for Tesla to add arcade games than fix some of the long-standing media player problems - such as reliably remembering the current media player state so that customers could play audiobooks from USB.

My Spotify always starts when i get into the car and its not even the last thing I listed to in the car.
The app has been closed on the phone and when the phone connects the the cars bluetooth it opens the Spotify app and plays on the phone not through the car.