Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you order a "Made in Austin" Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can’t currently. It’s not available to the general public yet. You’d have order a Long Range MY and hope to get contacted by Tesla asking if you’d be willing to accept an Austin Built Stand Range MY. There’s no guarantee you will get it. You can wait until they do start offering it directly through the web site but no one knows when that will happen.

Reactions: VegasMYP and FFCars
You can’t currently. It’s not available to the general public yet. You’d have order a Long Range MY and hope to get contacted by Tesla asking if you’d be willing to accept an Austin Built Stand Range MY. There’s no guarantee you will get it. You can wait until they do start offering it directly through the web site but no one knows when that will happen.
Or you can buy from someone is going to get one, like Sandy Munro did.

My long range Austin Y arrived today, waiting for detail and inspection if I will take it

First, congrats, and we all hope the car is all quality through-and-through. We'd all like to hear the details of how these vary from the Freemont models. We do know there should be a package covering shelf in the back, but other than that, most of us know nothing additional to that.

Could you perhaps start a new thread of New Austin MYLR Deliveries (or somesuch) where people getting those post their own observations?

And now (or soon) with Mexican-made parts, according to today's news. It didn't say how many or what parts. The folding shelf is probably more than a $20 adition. The interior rear side panels are also different, with rails on each side for the support of the cover. Far better than the glue-on third party covers that will soon fall apart in warm weather.

There may be other differences that haven't been reported yet.

Last edited:
I had thought it was a much higher percentage. More than 80% is all I can dig up from searching, and they seem to indicate Canada in that percentage, so let's say north American sourcing. Had no Idea Mexico was the source of around 20%. I learned something today. Thanks.

I had thought it was a much higher percentage. More than 80% is all I can dig up from searching, and they seem to indicate Canada in that percentage, so let's say north American sourcing. Had no Idea Mexico was the source of around 20%. I learned something today. Thanks.
Here is the section from a Fremont Model Y:

1657228649293.png

First, congrats, and we all hope the car is all quality through-and-through. We'd all like to hear the details of how these vary from the Freemont models. We do know there should be a package covering shelf in the back, but other than that, most of us know nothing additional to that.

Could you perhaps start a new thread of New Austin MYLR Deliveries (or somesuch) where people getting those post their own observations?
Declined delivery at this time (stopped by early before official inspection). Car was filthy, as expected from construction dust and I just checked in since it was on my way home from work. Every body panel was out of alignment except the front and rear bumper. Hood was slightly high at back, driver door so bad surprised it closed, other 3 doors poked out and were moderately out of alignment. Lift gate gaps were even but very large all the way around. I'm going to wait for a detail clean and alignment of all panels before officially requesting another VIN