Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you turn off car...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...when sitting in it waiting for someone. I've had 3 instances this past week where I need to wait in my car for a half-hour and have not figured out all the variables to get what I want.

I want the following
- Headlights off
- interior lights off
- Climate off
- Music on

The only way I've been able to accomplish this is to use the car settings to manually turn off the headlights and climate, then manually push the four interior lights to make them go off. Seems like there should be an easier way.

I do this all the time as I wait for my daughter’s soccer practices to finish. I just turn off the headlights manually (no need to turn them on again ... they will switch back to “auto” when you start driving). At least for me, the interior lights go off by themselves after a minute or so. I personally leave the climate on (uses up about 7 or 8 miles of range per hour here in Portland, OR), but it is easy to turn back on or off again with a single press of the touch screen.

Okay. Just tested it. My method does NOT turn off climate and wipers. Keeps radio on and lights off except for footwell and door pockets. I dont know how long it stays this way. Oh, and the USB ports are still enabled.
I have tried that. The issue I had with this method was when I did leave the car it did not auto-lock.

There seems to be a lot of variables that affect how the car behaves and I haven't been able to understand how all of the variables interact. It's an order of magnitude more complex than any of my ICE cars.

I have tried that. The issue I had with this method was when I did leave the car it did not auto-lock.
Every time you tried that method? Does you car otherwise auto-lock normally?

I've done this many times in my driveway when I get home and I believe that the car has always auto-locked, either when I've only used my phone-as-key or now in conjunction with a fob. Pretty sure this has been the case with both closing the driver's door and not closing the door (and I'm still inside); I'll test that again later. Since getting a fob, my usual procedure is to open the car using the fob. This ensures that the car is unlocked and I don't look like a fool standing next to it fumbling with my phone. When leaving the car, it auto-locks when I walk away since I'm carrying my phone with me.

Before I had the fob, there's only one time in recent memory where I had to manually lock the car using the app when I walked away. That was when the phone DIDN'T unlock the car and I had to resort to using my keycard to unlock. In that situation, I think the phone was never recognized while I was around it and therefore auto-lock didn't work (as to be expected).