Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lights won’t turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It sounds like exit lights (which turn off in a minute or two), and are described in the manual:

=====================================

Controlling Lights​

Touch Controls > Lights on the touchscreen to access all light controls, both interior and exterior.
You can also pull the turn signal stalk toward you to display a popup that provides quick access to exterior lights. For example, you can turn the headlights on or off continuously (overriding the default Auto High Beam setting). The lights popup allows you to adjust all exterior light settings, including parking lights, fog lights (if equipped), etc. The setting you choose is retained for the current drive only.
Note
If the touchscreen is already displaying the full Controls screen for lights, pulling the turn signal stalk does not display the quick access popup.
In addition to the lights you can control from the touchscreen, Model 3 has convenience lights that operate automatically based on what you are doing. For example, in low ambient lighting conditions, the interior lights, marker lights, tail lights, and puddle lights turn on when you unlock Model 3, when you open a door, and when you shift into Park. They turn off after a minute or two, when you shift or lock Model 3. Use these settings to control your vehicle's interior and exterior lights:

• Informative
Reactions: ColoradoMike
Thanks all. The lights stay on continuously (parking mode and/or headlights). Prior to the latest update the exterior lights would turn off by themselves (after the slight delay when exiting).
That is weird as far as we know. We have our M3LR set to "auto"......in the dark garage they are on but when we pull out of it, in daylight, they turn off. Is that what you are experiencing?

After the latest software update my exterior lights won’t turn off. I have to go back into the car and push the button to turn them off. Never had that issue before. Anyone else notice this?
I had 1 headlight that was staying on last week, directly after a software update. I noticed that on the screen, when the car was in drive it showed that headlight as out. Also the turn signal on that side was flashing a lot faster, and there was no clicking sound for the signal

I got into the car and did a manual power off, the light stayed on, but after an hour or two it went out, and everything returned to normal. It's been fine ever since.

After the latest software update my exterior lights won’t turn off. I have to go back into the car and push the button to turn them off. Never had that issue before. Anyone else notice this?
I finally decided to update to 2023.12.1.1 after postponing for the longest time and just noticed this as well... I like running just fog lights when its dusk as the matrix lights tends to be a bit bright and now I walked back to my car after like 2 hours and noticed the foglights were still on... Why in the world would tesla change this after it being the same way for years...

Yup, new software up took away this convenient feature. I like to drive with just parking/fog lights on when it’s overcast. The light would used to turn off automatically regardless of what mode it’s in. Now we have to manually turn if off. What a step backward. Make absolutely no sense. If someone wanted that lights to stay on, they can do it manually after it turn off when you’re in park. But once the door is locked, there should be no reason for the lights to stay on.

If they are staying on, then something is wrong. Time to open a Service Ticket.
I am wondering if we all open a service ticket and complain, they will revert the 2023.12 update part for the parking lights.

This is not a one off issue happening to a few people. if you are on 2023.12.* the parking lights will stay on indefinitely if you toggle them on in drive and then park, leave and lock the car. They have always been auto off once you leave the car but not anymore.

Last night 2023.12.5 was pushed to my SR+ and after I downloaded and installed it I timed the lights twice and here's when it went off. Just about a minute.

Lights Out.jpg

Reactions: Perscitus
When ever I turn on any of head/park/fog lights I've always had to turn them off manually, and get an annoying warning when shifting to Park. I'm actually jealous that they ever shut off for anyone, that's how this should work.

Then come back on at the last setting when you next drive.

Reactions: gtae07
It might actually be unrelated to the update. I had that problem a while ago and it turned out to be the seat sensor.

You can easily test this by turning up the audio volume and closing the door. If the music is still blasting on the inside, chances are you have a faulty seat sensor.

Obviously that doesn't apply to all reports here but it's worth a try.

I hope this helps at least some of you.

Reactions: android04